No announcement yet.

Rifle Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 300 Win. Mag. would be a good choice, so would the 7mm Rem. Mag. 30-06 would work, also. The 280 Rem. would also be a good choice. There are other calibers that will work very well also, but may not be as easy to find ammo for and the ammo may be more expensive, when you do find it.

Comment

30-06 or a 270 will be adequate for deer/elk/antelope. Every bit as important as the rifle/cartridge, is being able to hit them in the vitals. Poor shot placement makes things difficult no matter what you shoot them with.

Comment

One more vote for the 30-06.

Comment

30 Nosler

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for You and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor, but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Comment

I'm a 7 mag guy... it's a do all caliber

Comment

30-06

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                Whatever you get, get a 22 LR too to practice with if you don't already have one and practice from field positions, not just off a bench.

Good Luck!!!
                That is a good bit of advice that I don't think young hunters hear enough, definitely something worth practicing.

Comment

I vote for 30-06, has a good range of different grain ammo for different animals.

Comment

Not a 30-06 guy but hard to disagree
                    First gun, ya go for it and start playing specific loads later on if you want. 125’s to 200+
                    308 is an easy shooter with the same versatility and less recoil
                    7 mag is a champ. I shoot 140s and it hammers everything it touches (mule deer and under is my own experience)
                    Any of those calibers will do the job if you do yours
                    308 may be the best one to start on
                    Just an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
                      I would stick to a 30-06. You will have an all around rifle.
                      best all around rifle out there!

Comment

IMO, you need the following as an outdoorsman.
                        30-06
                        22LR
                        12 ga. shotgun

I said need, not want. I add / remove from the want list constantly and haven't owned an 06 in years, close to two decades.

If you don't reload, stay with the more popular rounds. The below are rock solid performers with ample factory offerings.

Magnum-300WM, 7RM-DONE. There are many more but for all but big bears these two will do the work intended and do it well. Hornable mentions-338WM, 300 WSM, 7 WSM, 300 WBY, 300 RUM, 6.5 PRC, 6.5 SUAM.

Non Magnums-Take your pick really but for the non-reloader, 30-06, 270, 280 and 280AI, 308, 7mm08, 260 rem, 6.5 creed so on and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by TXraiderTK View Post
                          Not a 30-06 guy but hard to disagree
                          First gun, ya go for it and start playing specific loads later on if you want. 125’s to 200+
                          308 is an easy shooter with the same versatility and less recoil
                          7 mag is a champ. I shoot 140s and it hammers everything it touches (mule deer and under is my own experience)
                          Any of those calibers will do the job if you do yours
                          308 may be the best one to start on
                          Just an opinion

Same here. This is the one time I’ll also recommend a 30-06.

Normally I would say .308 but the extra oomph of the .06 will be nice for elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

7mm-08. You won't need anything else. Saves your shoulder too.

Comment

30-06. There’s a reason every new cartridge gets compared to it.

Comment

I know you are in school but whats your budget for the rile?

The caliber rec's are pretty on point so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X