Man arrested in California for having a large gun collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man arrested in California for having a large gun collection

When the details come out he might be guilty of something more than living in California but on the surface I don't see an obvious federal crime. I doubt he would have been arrested in Texas.

He was buying and selling without a license.

I think to the bad guys??

Comment

Is it illegal to buy and sell without a license anywhere or is that just in California?

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
        Is it illegal to buy and sell without a license anywhere or is that just in California?
        That's a good question.

It was explained to me is that we can buy, sell, and trade, all the legal to own guns we want to better our gun collections, no limit on the number of guns. But if we buy even one gun, with just the intent to make money, we have to have an ffl.

Comment

This was back in May, wasn't it. I don't believe they listed the charges then, does anybody know? If it was the feds, most likely he was dealing. I think the article said 40 some odd charges.

If it was California cops, it was just because he had so many.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
            from an atf page....

Federal law requires that persons who are engaged in the business
            of dealing in firearms be licensed by ATF.

As a general rule, you will need a license if you repetitively buy and
            sell firearms with the principal motive of making a profit. In contrast,
            if you only make occasional sales of firearms from your personal
            collection, you do not need to be licensed.

Courts have identified several factors relevant to determining on
            which side of that line your activities may fall, including: whether
            you represent yourself as a dealer in firearms; whether you are
            repetitively buying and selling firearms; the circumstances under
            which you are selling firearms; and whether you are looking to make
            a profit. Note that while quantity and frequency of sales are relevant
            indicators, courts have upheld convictions for dealing without a
            license when as few as two firearms were sold, or when only one or
            two transactions took place, when other factors were also present.

Comment

The news article made a big deal out of the number of guns he had and that some were "assault weapons." A large gun collection including AR's is not illegal although California law limits magazine size to 10 rounds. I'm sure he will claim he was not in the business of selling firearms and that may be true but the California media has already found him guilty. I'm just glad I live in Texas and I remind everyone to be on guard against Californication of our great state.

Comment

He is obviously a dealer. There are guys that are hobby gun guys at gun shows. They may buy and sell a gun or three here and there but many are there looking for people to come in with certain firearms. For instance if a guy is a single action colt collector. He is at the gun show looking for single action Colts but may buy a Glock off someone or other firearm at a good price looking to trade it later for a single action colt. I have a friend that said he has traded more modern tactical firearms for collectors and said it is the best way for him to be able to afford collectible firearms. I don't think the guys like above need a license unless they start buying and selling to make money

Comment

if he were buying and selling drugs he would have been o.k.

Comment

California sucks. That is all.

Comment

Saenz was charged with 23 counts of possession of an assault weapon, 17 counts of transfer of handgun with no licensed firearms dealer, 15 counts of unlawful assault weapon/.50 BMG rifle activity, seven counts of possession of a short-barreled rifle or shotgun, and two counts of possession of a destructive device, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office said in Monday's statement.
                      When in California, obey their rules

Pretty sure that even in Texas if you don't have the paperwork you will be charged for some of the same stuff

Comment

I read a news report when this happened that said he sold to folks that should not buy guns and that is how he got on the ATF's radar.........

Comment

I have a feeling whatever few collectables were there just got boogered up a little during inventory.

Comment

A little or a lot. Probably have the case number scratched into everyone of them.

Comment

Working...
                            X