Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Sabine WMA

Howdy...

This is my second draw ever - a buddy and I did archery at Laguna last year. Hoping to see if anyone is willing to share any tips or are also going to Old Sabine WMA in December. I’m going this one alone so it will be another learning experience... part of the fun.

From what I’ve read, any ATV or side by side access requires some sort of special sticker (?) and the roads aren’t always open. Is on foot or bicycle access alright?

Last year at Laguna we were instantly jealous of the many mobile tripod setups we saw. We took pop up’s to Laguna but it seemed like a waste of time. What about Sabine?

I’m sure I’ll think of more questions if people are willing to share...

Most of Old Sabine is thick woods. There are a few compartments that are accessible by foot. Neat place. I’ve been drawn a couple times and saw deer each hunt, but not close enough.

Comment

Old sabine is tough. Lots of pigs. Few deer. Atv would help a lot. Personally, id just have a pack and a stool. Plenty of cover to hide in and set up. I wouldnt worry about a blind or stand of any sorts.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Been to this place a few times in the spring for hog hunts. I’ve seen a few deer, but mostly pigs. If you can, head down the ATV trail to the East where it intersects the power line. I have seen photos on the property’s Facebook page from drawn hunts and a few of them featured the power lines in the background.

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies! It looks like from the map that all compartments have a road of some sorts on at least one side. Are the ATV roads other roads not shown?

I’ve seen a few other posts about the power lines. Seems like a good tip.

Do most people camp onsite? I thought about taking our camper for a nearby campground but haven’t really seen many good options yet.

Comment

20 minutes to Tyler state park.

Comment

[QUOTE=TXJake;15107698]Thanks for all of the replies! It looks like from the map that all compartments have a road of some sorts on at least one side. Are the ATV roads other roads not shown?

I’ve seen a few other posts about the power lines. Seems like a good tip.

Do most people camp onsite? I thought about taking our camper for a nearby campground but haven’t really seen many good options yet.

For the most part those are atv trails. The only vehicle access roads are 1804 and the main road that runs north and south through the middle of the area. There are two primitive campsites available during the hunts. No electricity or water. Campers have to be self contained. And Tyler state park is right down the road.

Comment

Hate to be a debbie downer but that place sucks for deer. And I say that as someone who has spent and immense amount of time there pig hunting and also doing some archery deer hunting. If it is your only option, it beats not hunting....but barely. It gets **** pounded during archery. So you take poor hunting and then highly pressure it before the draw hunts. Yeah.

Comment

I got drawn as well, not sure why I even applied for it. But, my family owns land on the wma and have hardly seen deer down there. May try it for the heck of it. ATV you have to wear a helmet, SXS you do not. ALso if you take either you have to get the ATV permit. Last I remember.
                  Last edited by txhunter90; 09-18-2020, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Lots of rules for atv or side by side, plus proficiency test needed. Like someone said east side down atv trail has some hogs and deer. Snake boots for sure, and bug spray. Look it up and call them for correct information.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                      Hate to be a debbie downer but that place sucks for deer. And I say that as someone who has spent and immense amount of time there pig hunting and also doing some archery deer hunting. If it is your only option, it beats not hunting....but barely. It gets **** pounded during archery. So you take poor hunting and then highly pressure it before the draw hunts. Yeah.
                      X2

We got picked there next to a highway and had people coming onto our compartment during the lottery hunt. One guy was sitting under a tree drinking a beer. Another guy was sneaking around with a shotgun looking for hogs. I saw more illegal hunters than I did animals. Good luck! Enjoying yourself out there will be more about attitude than success.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                        If it is your only option, it beats not hunting....but barely.
                        This may be my situation this year. I’m kind of on the fence to be honest. We would like to find a lease we can take our 4 kids but haven’t had luck finding any yet ... it’s hard to go out looking with all the 2020 BS.

I do appreciate all the replies. Had such a blast at Laguna last year and was hoping for a new adventure... so far you guys paint a sketchy picture!

Comment

Only takes one time to connect..Old Sabine has deer..just a challenge

Comment

Originally posted by Sethmac View Post
                            Only takes one time to connect..Old Sabine has deer..just a challenge
                            Just from my past experience it doesn’t seem like there’s fewer deer than any of the other east Texas WMAs. Thicker woods and harder to see them maybe.

Comment

Tough hunting for sure

Probably 20 minutes from me and I rarely set foot on the place. Has been open in the past to hunt various dates archery only with just the AHP

Mosquitoes are Booners and a bunch of them, warm and there will be snakes, maybe even a Timber Rattler

Deer are there but not a high density/ac

That said, I have seen some nice deer that came off of it

You might get lucky and be in the right place to whack a good one, will never know if you don't try

If it is wet I would leave the bike in the rack, ATV/UTV is best bet

Another option is to take a boat, there is a ramp on the area. We used to go down river a ways, tie the boat up and walk out to a slough and shoot ducks

Comment

Working...
                              X