South Llano State Park Exotic Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Llano State Park Exotic Hunt

Got lucky and got drawn for this hunt OCT 6-8th. Anybody have any good info. Have searched and found a few threads. Do they have blinds for you to sit in or do we need to bring our own? Any imput on where the best chance is to see the axis?

thanks
    brad

ttt

Comment

No info, but you hit the jackpot! Good luck.

Comment

No info but I put in for it every year. Thats a dang good hunt.

Comment

I haven't hunted it but visited last year when my daughter got selected for a TYHP hunt right down the road. We did a hike down by the river and spent about an hour there and saw probably 30 axis deer, a bunch of whitetails including a couple of nice bucks and a group of turkeys. All of that just walking along one of their hiking trails through the woods in the river bottom. Didn't go up in the hills but everything I've read about the place and from what I saw the river bottom is where you want to be if possible. Also, we passed by several stands that they already had set up there. Seems like you are packed in down there and I believe you have assigned stands and aren't allowed to leave the immediate area of your stand while hunting. I don't know the exact distances but I'll bet those stands are less than 400 yards apart down in the bottom.

Comment

I drew it in 2017 for the doe/spike hunt. They have blinds there. You draw numbers out of a hat for blind selection. You will want to get a blind on the river bottom. That's where the axis hang out. Even if you don't draw a river bottom blind, you will definitely still have a chance to kill an axis up in the hills.

Take some alfalfa hay with you. The axis will devour that stuff!
            Last edited by Grizz83; 09-16-2020, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Been to the park many times, but never hunted it. There are some blinds, but if you have your own ground blind I would bring it also. Loads of animals and pretty scenery. I 2nd the alfalfa suggestion. Axis love it. The river bottom is much more open but the back part along the hiking trail is nice also. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech Shooter View Post
                Got lucky and got drawn for this hunt OCT 6-8th. Anybody have any good info. Have searched and found a few threads. Do they have blinds for you to sit in or do we need to bring our own? Any imput on where the best chance is to see the axis?

thanks
                brad

I would like to start by saying I hate you. Man congrats that should be a slam dunk!

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech Shooter View Post

thanks
                  brad
                  Congrats, just curious how many points you had?

Comment

Our group averaged 12 points

Comment

Did a youth hunt there with my daughter back in 2018. As was mentioned previously, blinds were drawn for. Staff is great to work with people though. When we were there the blind between the river and the RV camping area did the best with Axis. Definitely load up with the alfalfa hay. Good luck man, it’s a great place!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bil and I hunted Antlerless hunt a couple of years back. By assigned blind. They wouldn't let us put up pop ups. We got three axis and five WT on that hunt. Very enjoyable.

Comment

A buddy’s boys got drawn for a youth hunt there a few years ago. He told them to quit shooting after killing 7 axis deer! Have fun!!

Comment

My son killed 5 axis in two hunts several years back. 2 good bucks included. We saw a huge 8point WT as well. It was the best hunt I have ever been on with TPWD. They had blinds. The blinds would have been great for one person, but two full size folks were pretty tight. Still a great hunt with a great staff.

Comment

I did the hunt last year, you may have seen my thread. info there and in the replies above is accurate. feel free to pm if you have some other specific questions.

Comment

Working...
                              X