Feeder Pen question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder Pen question

I had good deer coming all season not a lot of pigs. they clear cut where most my deer were coming from and I'm absolutely ate up with pigs really thinking of building a 10 panel 16ft by 34 inch feeder pen.

is it too late to build in before bow season? I don't reckon it would hurt don't have much deer coming in anyway.

also is 10 panel at that height sufficient?

can I get away with using net wire for bigger pen at cheaper cost how well does that hold up and keep the pigs out?

what is optimal height of paneling/fencing

I personally wouldn’t build them this close to deer season if you are planning on killing deer under the feeder. Deer are funny some time they don’t get bothered by them some time they are bothered by a limb being out of place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=bowmanranchetx;14372177]I personally wouldn’t build them this close to deer season if you are planning on killing deer under the feeder. Deer are funny some time they don’t get bothered by them some time they are bothered by a limb being out of place.

I moved a limb off a trail and the deer freaked out.

12 Fifty two inch tall panels in a circle..................

Comment

well I don't much deer coming because I'm absolutely ate up with pigs eating all my corn I haven't even put a dent on there population. is the standard 34 inch too short?

Comment

I had deer in pens within 24 hrs. Put them up.

34” is perfect

Comment

Do it. At this point what is it going to hurt that the pigs haven't already.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTxHog View Post
              well I don't much deer coming because I'm absolutely ate up with pigs eating all my corn I haven't even put a dent on there population. is the standard 34 inch too short?
              Pigs are super easy to keep out.... not so much in. You can buy the tall panels and cut in half for a fraction of the cost and double your size. If pigs are all your trying to keep out.

As far as pens go. I build a 10 panel and never had a deer in 3 months jump in. Looked like a dump truck flipped over full of corn. Removed 2 panels and had pigs back in 4 hours. If pigs are around...deer ain’t

Turn off feeder will yield better results (honestly)

Comment

I been piling in a different area and had one shooter doe and two fawns with her two other deer on cam night couldn't make out if they were bucks or not. ive always done better piling for deer vs feeders honestly I prob wont even put a feeder in it this year just make piles I live 10 min from lease so it aint big deal re piling

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                  Pigs are super easy to keep out.... not so much in. You can buy the tall panels and cut in half for a fraction of the cost and double your size. If pigs are all your trying to keep out.

As far as pens go. I build a 10 panel and never had a deer in 3 months jump in. Looked like a dump truck flipped over full of corn. Removed 2 panels and had pigs back in 4 hours. If pigs are around...deer ain’t

Turn off feeder will yield better results (honestly)
                  Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                  I had deer in pens within 24 hrs. Put them up.

34” is perfect

sounds good man think I'm gonna do it 10 16ft panels plenty good?

Comment

sounds good man think I'm gonna do it 10 16ft panels plenty good?
                    Plenty big. Everyone says bigger is better. I have 2 pens. One has 8 panels and the other has 10. 7-8 deer in each at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                      Plenty big. Everyone says bigger is better. I have 2 pens. One has 8 panels and the other has 10. 7-8 deer in each at times.
                      so were you having similar probs hogs running off deer or eating corn before they would?

Comment

so were you having similar probs hogs running off deer or eating corn before they would?
                        Yes all year long! Now I have 2 strictly deer stations and 2 other setups with no pens for deer and pigs.

Comment

We built two on Labor Day weekend, August 30th to be specific. 10 hog panels as you’ve asked about.

Pen 1 - doe and young bucks started showing back up after about 5 days. Mature bucks started feeding again after about 14 days.

Pen 2 - doe and young bucks came back after 14 days, mature bucks just started showing up last night.

LOTs of corn still on the ground. The good news is the hogs are showing up less and less.

Comment

Originally posted by mrpetera View Post
                            We built two on Labor Day weekend, August 30th to be specific. 10 hog panels as you’ve asked about.

Pen 1 - doe and young bucks started showing back up after about 5 days. Mature bucks started feeding again after about 14 days.

Pen 2 - doe and young bucks came back after 14 days, mature bucks just started showing up last night.

LOTs of corn still on the ground. The good news is the hogs are showing up less and less.

thanks for the great response that's the info I was looking for I'm sure once hogs find out out they cant get too it they'll move on someone elses feeder

Comment

This pen is 8 34” panels.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X