Dove field, sesame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dove field, sesame

So Thursday it finally dried up enough north of Pleasanton to get my dove field drilled with sesame. I intended to do it on the 9th, but It was too wet and muddy. Likely would have clogged up the grain drill so bad that the seeds wouldn't have even made it out of the machine.
    Yesterday I got it sprayed with a mixture of Dual Magnum and Roundup to kill the nutsedge and assorted weeds that came up after disking, and to prevent other weeds from sprouting.
    I bought a 50 lb sack of sesame seed, the shattering type, from Pogue Seed in Kenedy over a month ago. It was literally the last bag they had when I called. $300
    This is in about a 10-acre field. So, it should be about five pounds per acre.
    My neighbor across the county road planted the seed for me. I asked him to do about one and a half, to 2 foot row spacing, if possible. He said it would be similar to planting ryegrass, with the seed size, but he didn't know about the row spacing, but would figure something out. I haven't been down there since he planted but hopefully we'll get down there next week.
    I went with sesame as I was informed on this site that dove really love it, and I also read that deer don't browse it and that hogs don't bother with it too much, either.
    I had originally intended to do sunflower, but I found out that deer really love to eat it when it's young and tender. And they will wipe out a whole field of it.
    I'll post updates on this thread from time to time.

I hunt commercially grown sesame further south than you.

Yes, the dove do like it.

Your application rate seems low, but once again, the stuff I hunt is for harvest, not hunting.

Comment

We call it dove crack! Makes for some great shoots.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
        I hunt commercially grown sesame further south than you.

Yes, the dove do like it.

Your application rate seems low, but once again, the stuff I hunt is for harvest, not hunting.
        I was basing the seeding rate off of this chart.
        Depending on how the field does this year, I will adjust up or down on rate. It is based in Florida, but I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
          I was basing the seeding rate off of this chart.
          Depending on how the field does this year, I will adjust up or down on rate. It is based in Florida, but I don't think it's that big of a deal.
          Interesting info. I was just basing this off the yield and spacing I see in the fields we hunt. It is impressive and you can have a snack while hunting.

Comment

I think this is my sesame coming up. The Dual Magnum didn't get "rained in", and the nutsedge is also sprouting. Hopefully it will be thin.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	21084.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	24580550

Comment

I think it may be a little close, too.

Comment

Got a little over 2 inches of rain last night.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	21098.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	24580558

Comment

Those weeds in the foreground are in the bar ditch.

Comment

Good job getting your seed in. Sesame can get fairly bushy and since it's a shattering variety the seeds will drop without having to shred. That is pretty thick and doves will have a hard time landing between rows. Probably would have been better to block every other row on drill. Keep us posted on the growth. I broadcasted mine in a mix right before heavy rains.

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                      Good job getting your seed in. Sesame can get fairly bushy and since it's a shattering variety the seeds will drop without having to shred. That is pretty thick and doves will have a hard time landing between rows. Probably would have been better to block every other row on drill. Keep us posted on the growth. I broadcasted mine in a mix right before heavy rains.
                      Yeah, I asked for wider row spacing. I guess he just blocked every other drop. I couldn't be there when he planted.

Comment

If all goes well you should have a field that produces lots and lots of birds!

Comment

As that stuff matures, the plant really dries up and there is a lot of room for birds to land on the rows. The biggest problem wont be how close the plants are together, its how dirty you let the field get with weeds and grass. If you keep the rows clean there wont be a problem at all. Sesame is the best stuff you can plant for dove, its better than sunflowers, and it holds birds from the early season until the late season.

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
                            As that stuff matures, the plant really dries up and there is a lot of room for birds to land on the rows. The biggest problem wont be how close the plants are together, its how dirty you let the field get with weeds and grass. If you keep the rows clean there wont be a problem at all. Sesame is the best stuff you can plant for dove, its better than sunflowers, and it holds birds from the early season until the late season.
                            Anxious to see how much effect the Dual Magnum will have on the weeds, since there is obviously some sedge coming up. I can spray Poast if grass starts getting thick. Or I can break out the hoe.

Comment

how much did 50 lbs of sesame cost you

Comment

Working...
                              X