Remington 700 bolt handle breaking ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remington 700 bolt handle breaking ??

Anyone personally had a Remington 700 bolt handle break off ?
    Just did a quick google search and it appears that it is an issue that happens.
    Can the bolt be soldered back on? Anyone in the Houston area that you would recommend to work on it/ fix the issue ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did Remington say?

Comment

Seen it a couple times. Seen them in a buddies shop even more though to get repaired. No idea who to send it to in your neck of the woods though.

Comment

Man, how hard did you cycle and eject that round!!

Never seen that one before

Comment

Do you neck size only?

Comment

Try Briley's for a repair.

Did it come off trying to remove a hot load??

Comment

Not on a rem 700 but I have had it happen on a rem 770, POS saved the life of a scrawny coyote as it broke off as I went to rack the second shell in.

Comment

Mail it to GreTan or LRI.

Seen it a few times. Usually on an overpressured round and beating the bolt open.

Best option is a PT&G one piece bolt if you’re willing to spend the money. Check headspace if you go that route FYI.

Comment

It was on the 5th round after I received it. Uncertain of total count.

First 3 were Winchester Power Point 150 (Factory)
                  Next 2 shots were Federal Good Medal Match 168 (Factory)

Absolutely no issues before. Lifted the bolt after the 2nd shot of FGMM and it just popped off!

Have a gunsmith lined up back home. Just need to make a trip to drop it off.
                  He said, “It’s a Remington”. He solders its back on, but also includes a couple counter sunk screws into the bolt.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I did. No real reason, it just came off while cycling a round. It can be soldered right back on and I did have the countersunk screws added as well. Shouldn’t ever happen again and it looks pretty sweet as well.
                    Last edited by sog45; 04-14-2021, 04:48 PM.

Comment

It happens, just make sure he knows how to clock it correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                        It was on the 5th round after I received it. Uncertain of total count.

First 3 were Winchester Power Point 150 (Factory)
                        Next 2 shots were Federal Good Medal Match 168 (Factory)

Absolutely no issues before. Lifted the bolt after the 2nd shot of FGMM and it just popped off!

Have a gunsmith lined up back home. Just need to make a trip to drop it off.
                        He said, “It’s a Remington”. He solders its back on, but also includes a couple counter sunk screws into the bolt.
                        The first one I ever saw was on Trophy8’s little brothers freshly built 308. It happened in load development on a brand new receiver. Not exactly uncommon these days, and most of them are newer receivers. I’m sure Robert has fixed a few.

Comment

Roberts Precision Rifles in Spring is good, have used and will use again.

Comment

You can have it soldered back on but your black finish will be shot from the torch. Send to Dan at AccuTig in Alaska and he’ll turn it in a day or two. Take your firing pin assembly out and put the rifle on the butt, muzzle up, to make sure lugs are mating then scribe a line on the bolt where the receiver and bolt meet. Put in a box with the handle and send to Dan. Or wait a couple weeks until my high freq TIG box comes in and I’ll be re-timing Remington’s ****ty jobs.

Comment

I think its more than just soldering on. I beleive it has to be Tig welded on. Also I think it effects the headspace.

Comment

Working...
                              X