Stripped Screw Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped Screw Help

So I stripped an Allen screw head on my bow module while trying to change them out and need help.

I used an Easy Out kit and just as the screw broke loose the dadgum Easy Out head broke off in the screw head.

I've tried screwing another hole into the head of the screw to use a different Easy Out piece but after an hour of metal bits with the drill and diamond bits on the Dremel I've made very little progress.

Any ideas or suggestions? Pic below.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I'm about ready to throw my hands up and leave those mods on forever hahaha.

Comment

Your screwed

Comment

Find something else that’s pretty stout that’s about the same diameter as the screw head. Get some high PSI epoxy and epoxy it to the stripped screw. Let it cure and then twist and see if it will pop loose. Disclaimer: I’ve never tried this, just an idea that popped into my head. I’d make sure you don’t let the epoxy get onto the module.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
          Find something else that’s pretty stout that’s about the same diameter as the screw head. Get some high PIS epoxy and epoxy it to the stripped screw. Let it cure and then twist and see if it will pop loose. Disclaimer: I’ve never tried this, just an idea that popped into my head. I’d make sure you don’t let the epoxy get onto the module.
          I tried an Allen wrench and JB Weld without success unfortunately

Comment

Try to Dremel a slot in it for a regular screw driver. When that doesn't work get some left handed drill bits and drill the screw out.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
              Try to Dremel a slot in it for a regular screw driver. When that doesn't work get some left handed drill bits and drill the screw out.
              Now that's an idea!

Comment

Comment

This or an ez out.

Comment

Walker I owe you a beer. The Dremel slot worked!

Comment

Drill the opposite side out also put some heat on the screw if possible small soldering iron or wood burner

Comment

Originally posted by apkleinschmidt View Post
                        Walker I owe you a beer. The Dremel slot worked!

Hey, I've got 68 years or stripped screws, broken easyouts, screwed up attempts at drilling them out.....
                        Dremel tools, impact hammers, heat, and lefthanded bits are your friend.

Comment

If that is a flathead, or bevel headed Allen screw, they’re terrible bout doing that!! Cuz the countersunk hole angle mates with the screw head angle, and LOCKS it in place basically. Good to keep from backing out, but not so good when you need to remove! Walker’s idea was a good one, but another idea that I’ve got tons of them out with is a SMALL center punch, lightly (since it’s a bow!) put a center punch divot in the outer area of the screw diameter, then at an angle, try and lightly break it loose with your small hammer and center punch. Another for sure idea that will work is to figure out the size of the threaded portion of the screw, hopefully assuming you have the other one out for reference, take a drill a hair larger than the thread size, and use that divot you have as a “center” and drill till the head “starts spinning”. If that divot in the pic is still in the center, you will be drilling in the center, and with the drill bit that’s slightly larger than the threads, when you get to the threaded portion, the head will separate, get “caught” by the drill bit, and begin to spin. With head gone, after you remove mod, they’re should be enough stud sticking out to grab with pliers and screw out. Or since head as gone, and it’s relieved, it might just screw out with your fingers. Have done that many times as well. Screw appears to be stainless, which does make it suck more, cuz stainless is harder to drill lots of times. Clear as mud I’m sure! If you were close, we could get it out, I can bet ya! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Dangit! Wrote a book, and the screwdriver slot worked! Good deal!

Comment

Hey, I've got 68 years or stripped screws, broken easyouts, screwed up attempts at drilling them out.....
                              Dremel tools, impact hammers, heat, and lefthanded bits are your friend.

Valve grinding compound does wonders too. I’ve also been in a pinch & used a little bit of dirt. Just something for the screwdriver or what ever to get bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X