Texas history Bowie, start to finish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas history Bowie, start to finish.

I’m starting a long term knife project today that’ll take me several months. I’ll be using unusual things, and using some different techniques than I’ve ever used.

Starting out with some nails and a couple other relics from San Jacinto.

After soaking them in vinegar for a few days, then brushing off the rust, I built a canoe to put them in. The flat sides are 1/4” 1084, and the short sides are mild. Inside the can, I put some of the nails and some 1095 powder. Hoping tomorrow to weld the billet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a fun project can’t wait to see it finished.

Comment

I watched your episode of
      Forged in fire again last night. In !!

Comment

As planned, today was forge welding day.

The canister welds went just right. Here are the billets.

From that point it’s just a lot of weld, draw, restack, weld. This is the San Jacinto nails billet stacked at 19 layers.

I stopped just after I welded up my core billet, 1231 layers. Have my San Jacinto billet at 19, and another 17 prepped. Have the math planned to get to 1836 with roughly 240 layer skins.

Here’s the FRY from the other can.

Comment

Tagged

What series / episode was the FiF episode...I may or may not have seen it but would like to catch it again for sure.

I was listening to a couple of buds who collected Bowie's & stated back then the fighting style with the bowie was to come down swinging with the spine in attempt to break bone (arm / noggin / collar) & then stab the gut & come up with the edge...yikes!!

Any idea of the blade length you would like to achieve??

Comment

Season 5 episode 26, Qinglong Ji.

It’s hard to tell, I have to get the steel put together and see how much material I will have. Likely get enough for a pretty big Bowie and a hunter of some kind, but it’s too soon to tell.

Comment

Thanks!!

Is there something set in stone on how a clone of an original bowie should be shaped or did the 'large knife' simply gain ground because of Jim's name & can take on various styles?? Do we even know what Jim's knife looked like?? I reckon it ended up on a battle field or back in Mex??

Guess I need to some research on the subject.

I saw a couple of 'clip blade' bowie's show up on gunsinternational today...asking $1800ea

Comment

Bowie is a very subjective genre. This knife will be in the 2500 range minimum. I’m at three days labor already just on the steel, and I’m not done even with that yet.

Comment

Looks like a heck of a project Jason, will be tagging along.

Comment

Cool project. Following.

Comment

Following for updates.

Comment

Following, dont you have a Bowie at the capitol?

Comment

Gave one to the governor, yes. Idk where he put it, lol.

Comment

When you say nails from San Jacinto. What were the nails used for

Comment

The story on the nails. The battle of San Jacinto only involved roughly 1/3 of the Mexican forces in Texas. After the battle, the rest of the Mexican army regrouped at Madam Powell's boarding house to decide what to do. While there, they got word that Santa Anna was still alive and that he said to go home. As they retreated southward, they got stuck between the floodwaters of a couple of rivers in an area that became known as the "Sea of Mud." The nails I have are from the excavation of Powell's, and the harness decorations and grape shot are from the Sea of Mud excavations.

The public is invited to attend the re-dedication of the Texas State Historical Marker originally placed where the Mexican Army met at Madam...

Comment

Working...
                              X