Home made cactus knife scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home made cactus knife scale

I thought the knife scales Curtis Seebeck made with prickly pear cactus were just too cool, and I wanted to make one myself. I didn't do this exactly like Curtis does it, but it was just an experiment anyway. I think it looks cool.

Curtis uses Alumilite, a liquid dye, and a pressure pot to cast his, but I used a casting resin from Michaels or Hobby Lobby (can't remember which), some aniline dye powder, and a vacuum chamber to get the bubbles out and make it saturate the cactus lattice.

It's a little bit flexible, kind of like hard rubber. I probably won't use this on an actual knife because there's not enough of it unless I make a neck knife or something. I'm also not sure of how durable it is. I may invest in some alumilite and maybe a pressure pot from Harbor Freight. I've got a bunch of cactus skeleton left.

What do you think?
    Attached Files

I think that's really cool. Would make some awesome pistol grips if you had slabs large & stiff enough.

Comment

I think the Alumilite is probably stiffer because curtis uses it to make pen blanks. Not sure, though. Maybe a rubber kind of feel isn't so bad, though. I'm just worried it might be crumbly. Maybe I should break this and see how durable it is.

Comment

I like it. Throw it against the wall and see how it holds up.

Comment

I've used Curtis handles many times and it looks like you nailed it to me!! I think your ready to try it with alumilite!

Comment

I think it looks good but it could probably stand some testing like you are talking about. Flexible may not be a bad thing and it could be good for kitchen knives or something. Maybe put some on a plate and stick on your dash and see how it handles heat.

Comment

That is cool.

Comment

Working...
              X