Texas DPS office - any pro tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas DPS office - any pro tips?

Before COVID I had good results making an appointment at the DPS office...and strolling right in past the line.

Now there are no appointments until MAY.

Any advice on where to go..or how to get in and out for a new ID?

Thanks!

Unfortunately the only thing I’ve seen is that guys are having a little better luck setting an appointment in a smaller town sometimes a few hours away other than that, it’s a long wait and been very challenging for everyone having to do anything with DPS. If you call you will get no answer, put on hold, and eventually hung up on. Very frustrating. Good luck

Comment

If you go to the DPS office and ask to be put on Standby in case someone misses their appointment. Its not something that is advertised. Be prepared to wait.

Comment

Make sure you take your birth certificate with you. Apparently this is something new. I didn’t find out until fifteen minutes before my appointment. Luckily the courthouse was one block away.

Comment

Had to drive my daughter a few hours from home to get her license, and we made that appointment months in advance.

Comment

Since covid has hit, you don't need to have an up to date drivers license. There is an order out there for it, just do some searching on the DPS site.

I had the same issue as you will have. The waiver is currently good until April 21, 2021. Initially, I was not allowed to renew online. But once my license expired, I was allowed to renew online.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/covid-19.htm

Comment

I just did mine yesterday, from an appointment I schedule back in September. That’s eighth I said September.

There were people waiting without an appointment but the ladies inside their is no guarantee they will get processed. I went to Cleveland to have mine done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I live in Denton county and was able to get in sooner by driving to Decatur. You still have to make an appt but it was definitely sooner than any other place.

Comment

I did not even think about all that. Thank you for the reminder and I guess my rear needs to get my birth certificate.

Micheal

Comment

A passport will work if you don’t have your birth certificate

Comment

Also, don't bother making an appointment. Get to the DPS office about 15 min before closing and once you're in, they have to serve you. It's about the only time they work hard all day, at closing time. Even the troopers help out with the line at closing time. Works like a charm.

Comment

If it’s just expired or about to expire make the appt and wait til it comes around. We’re not doing any enforcement on expired DL/ID. Unless of course you need it to be current for other issues like travel and what not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by LukeDuke View Post
                          Before COVID I had good results making an appointment at the DPS office...and strolling right in past the line.

Now there are no appointments until MAY.

Any advice on where to go..or how to get in and out for a new ID?

Thanks!

Yes, as stated by others. Look for appointments in smaller towns, check the website regularly as openings will pop up sporadically because of cancelations.

Comment

I guess it depends on the office. I was able to make an appointment one day in advance and walked past the 30 person line when I got to the Bryan Office.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                              I did not even think about all that. Thank you for the reminder and I guess my rear needs to get my birth certificate.

Micheal
                              If you don't have a birth certificate there is a courthouse in alvord I believe and you can get one there for $20 or so

Comment

Working...
                              X