Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your all time favorite varmint cartridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your all time favorite varmint cartridge?

I've shot and seen critters shot with quite a few different things over the years and I keep going back to the .223 because it just works for what I'm looking for in a varmint cartridge. The 22-250 comes in at a close 2nd but not quite as good for saving fur which is what I look for in a predator calling rifle for the most part. I'd rather have the 22-250 in a calling contest because it's flatter shootin and I'd say the .243 is about dead even with it. They're both good for putting fur down but can sure tear them up at times.

What do y'all like the best and why?

I'm a fan of the 22-250. For the reason you stated, just a flat shooting caliber. I just end up using the term "sweet" shooting gun. It did a little too much damage on the bobcat I shot last year. I was just chalking it up to my mistake on shot placement.

Comment

Originally posted by WillowCity2506 View Post
      I'm a fan of the 22-250. For the reason you stated, just a flat shooting caliber. I just end up using the term "sweet" shooting gun. It did a little too much damage on the bobcat I shot last year. I was just chalking it up to my mistake on shot placement.
      With the right bullet in it the 250 won't blow things up too bad. But for thinner skinned animals like fox it's a little rough. My buddies I hunt with down in Texas switched to the .223 for the most part because they were tearing foxes up something fiercely bad with the 22-250. For coyotes and bobcats it's not bad at all depending on what you shoot bullet wise.

Comment

The mighty 220 Swift! Have been shooting and reloading that caliber since the late 70's. I have a number of different small varmint calibers in the barn but the Swift has always been the one I grab when its time to get western on the coyotes!

Comment

Back when we were hunting alot and you could get good $ for furs we shot the .17 Remington. Screamer of a round and rarely an exit or hide damage. Been around since the 70's but don't see em much any more. I guess they'd rather sell the new 17's. It's a 222/223 case necked down to 17. Mucho fasto too!

Comment

Used to do a lot of predator calling. Have shot coyotes/cats/fox with 22 mag, 17 hmr, 204, 223, 22 250, 243 and lots of "deer calibers"

Always loved the 22 250 and 55 grain bullets. Until i started shooting 243 and 70 grain ballistic tips.

I don't save hides and with the 243 they just don't go anywhere...ever. Have made marginal shots with the smaller calibers and many times the coyote will get up and run. Often no blood trail at all and you either get lucky and find them or don't. The 243 they don't get up. Even "bad" shots will often anchor them and allow a follow up.

I am building a 22 creed to shoot the 75 to 80 gr bullets to replace the 243. Should be a hammer as well.

Comment

Comment

22-250 both standard and AI versions. Proper bullet selection and barrel twist can be used for varmints and medium game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeater View Post
                  Back when we were hunting alot and you could get good $ for furs we shot the .17 Remington. Screamer of a round and rarely an exit or hide damage. Been around since the 70's but don't see em much any more. I guess they'd rather sell the new 17's. It's a 222/223 case necked down to 17. Mucho fasto too!
                  I shoot the 17 Remington as well and it comes in second on my list, right behind the 220 Swift. If I am in cat country calling, the 17 is in my hands. My only problem with it back here in Wyoming is we get plenty of wind in the winter and the 17 Rem is not a caliber that can buck the wind. That being said, there is nothing quite like watching what you shoot at being hit as you watch it in your crosshairs! Great little screamer! I definitely like the screamers! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                    I've shot and seen critters shot with quite a few different things over the years and I keep going back to the .223 because it just works for what I'm looking for in a varmint cartridge. The 22-250 comes in at a close 2nd but not quite as good for saving fur which is what I look for in a predator calling rifle for the most part. I'd rather have the 22-250 in a calling contest because it's flatter shootin and I'd say the .243 is about dead even with it. They're both good for putting fur down but can sure tear them up at times.

What do y'all like the best and why?
                    okrattler, I have loads for my Swift and loads I have worked up for friends who shoot 22-250's that are very, very fur friendly. One to keep in mind is the Barnes 53 gr Match Burner. Work up a load for that in your 22-250 and you can put your needle and thread away. I have found the same results in my 220 Swift with the Sierra 55 gr HPBT (#1390).

Comment

.22LR. It is effectively silent, and varmints get super mad when you put one through both lungs.

Comment

Shot a .223 for years and switched to a .204 Ruger 5-6 years ago. Absolute favorite killing gun. Runs a 40 gr vmax in the 4k range and is an absolute hammer on coyotes. And the fun part is in a 6lb rifle I can watch impacts on everything. Don't know how many dogs and foxes it has killed now easily several hundred and only lost one or two that I can think of.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

12 gauge 3 1/2'' #4 buckshot.

Comment

.22-250 with 45gr Winchester JHP's, they shoot amazing out of my rifle.

Comment

Been shooting .22 Hornet and .222 since the 70's, if I do what I need to do I've never needed more.

Comment

Working...
                              X