Spine indexing vs nock tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spine indexing vs nock tuning

I have decided to build some heavier, higher FOC, and as accurate of arrows as I can this off season. Not that my set up doesn’t work great but I’m wanting to switch things up to be able to shoot fixed blades out to as far as I possibly can. They both make sense to me, but you can only do one or the other with these tuning methods. Some of you that are meticulous about your set ups and tuning, which tuning method do y’all prefer?.

For me; personally, I would rather spend less time and money tuning with a Premium grade shaft. It doesn’t matter what brand it is as long as they have good straightness and spine consistency. On lower end shafting you may see some grouping improvement but with good raw materials it becomes less of an issue imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
      For me; personally, I would rather spend less time and money tuning with a Premium grade shaft. It doesn’t matter what brand it is as long as they have good straightness and spine consistency. On lower end shafting you may see some grouping improvement but with good raw materials it becomes less of an issue imo.

Agreed most professional shooters can’t shoot the difference with quality shafts

If I were gonna spend time on one or the other... nock

Spine testing will show you the spine... but that doesn’t translate into what WILL happen. Only what SHOULD happen. Nock is a final result of what DID happen

Comment

Spine indexing and nock tuning is the same thing. One is done on a tester and the other is done by shooting.

The only true 100% method is shooting them.

People have tried all kinds of methods.
        Floating in a bath tub. Haha
        Pressing the shaft on a bow press haha
        Using a spine tester. Some what.
        Fire nock PAPS some what
        F.L.O. better
        Freq tester better
        Shoot them. Best.

I’ve done it all.

Comment

I press my arrows and mark them. Then I shoot bared shafts through paper and nock index to get the same tear on them all. Then I fletch most of them except 1-2 bare shafts left. I will nock tune them for grouping if necessary again. I have an extension arrow-building process, but that’s the gist of the nock tuning stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Planopurist View Post
            I press my arrows and mark them. Then I shoot bared shafts through paper and nock index to get the same tear on them all. Then I fletch most of them except 1-2 bare shafts left. I will nock tune them for grouping if necessary again. I have an extension arrow-building process, but that’s the gist of the nock tuning stuff.

why? the purpose of pressing them is to find the spine. if this is working there is zero reason to nock tune.

if you have to nock tune after the press, that means it is not working.

Comment

Working...
            X