neck shots with gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

neck shots with gun

How many of you guys successfully neck shoot deer when gun hunting? Any sweet spot you would like to talk about? Any defiant don't do's you would like to share?

I ask because I have always been taught to heart and lung shoot like you would with a bow, but often find myself tearing up the better part of a lower shoulder.

Share the wisdom....

I prefer them looking right at me and putting it right in the throat patch

Comment

Originally posted by J-Fish View Post
      How many of you guys successfully neck shoot deer when gun hunting? Any sweet spot you would like to talk about? Any defiant don't do's you would like to share?

I ask because I have always been taught to heart and lung shoot like you would with a bow, but often find myself tearing up the better part of a lower shoulder.

Share the wisdom....
      Not much meat on the shoulder. Shoot there. I know many people have seen deer jaws blown on and they run away. Just my opinion

Comment

I've done it twice. Once in the throat patch of a doe that was blowing at me, and once in the middle of the neck on a buck who was broadside but had a big pine tree blocking his vitals. Both were less than 75 yards from a good rest and both were DRT. Not my preferred shot though.

Comment

Heart, lungs for me. Front shoulders pretty good also. Don't run far. Not much meat on there anyways.

Comment

If I decide to shoot one in the neck, i normally aim just in front of the shoulder enough to not hit it.

Comment

Depends upon the situation...
              I have taken many with neck shots using my .45 Colt lever gun.
              I am usually inside of 50 yards and always broadside.

Comment

I took a majority of my good bucks aiming broadside between mid neck and top of shoulder- if u hit with a big round or even a fast BT it will shatter the spine and the major carotid/vertebral arteries
                Usually Drt shot

Comment

i have seen and heard of dozens of deer wounded with low neck shots,,, if i choose for a neck shot it is as high as i can get and still be neck,,, that shot has been for me and everyone i know 100% drt.... i prefer it looking straight at me

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
                    If I decide to shoot one in the neck, i normally aim just in front of the shoulder enough to not hit it.
                    This

Comment

I've only intentionally shot one deer in the neck. An axis doe at 63 yards with a suppressed Remington 788 in .223. That rifle was a tack driver and I knew that it was doable at that range. I wouldn't try it past 100 yards, ever. I saw one buck on a south Texas ranch one time that someone had tried to poach and missed, shooting the buck's lower jaw off. One of our hunters put him down.

I help supply axis meat for a VFD fundraiser and they insist that the animals are shot in the neck or head to reduce meat loss. I donated one last year that I shot through the shoulders with a .257 Roberts and 90 gr. X bullet and it went straight down as usual. Small entry and small exit wound. They kinda stuck their nose up at it a little, but the wind was howling at about 35 mph that morning and I wasn't going to risk wounding one. They took the deer anyway.

All that being said I probably won't ever take another neck shot.

Comment

I have always neck shot and never had one run off. Even my son who is now 11 has taken all but one of his deer with a neck shot. If your rifle is sighted in properly and you have a good steady rest within 150yds, that shot is a great kill shot.

Comment

I've taken several with neck (not head) shots.
                          I prefer to aim high on the neck, maybe around 3" below the head (basically lower part of throat patch, if looking at you).
                          Either get them, or clean miss.
                          Only taken them within 75 yards or less and a good solid rest.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

I take neck shots on does if they are +- 50 yards and I have a scope. Broadside, either looking forward or towards me. Usually aim right in the center of the neck vertically. I used to always take neck shots farther no problem. Then I blew a jaw off last year. The shock dropped her and I was luckily able to run down and finish her off. Since that incident, it's no longer my preferred shot.

Comment

Oh good! Another neck shot thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X