hand grubbing mesquite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hand grubbing mesquite

I've gone back to grubbing mostly for the exercise and partly for the reason these have been mowed and are tough to kill after that. Ya'll think I'm getting deep enough? Left to right numbers 1-5. Number one may not but I think the rest are ok.
    Attached Files

more exercise next year........they are part of the curse

Comment

I don't think your deep enough. But if you'll take the time to spray a little diesel and remedy on that spot after grubbing, ain't no way it's coming back.

Comment

Originally posted by 1longshot View Post
        I don't think your deep enough.
        My worry too. I was always told if you get the knot you were OK and all these have that.

When I used a mechanical grubber it didn't go much deeper and they were a lot bigger but it still makes me wonder.
        Last edited by Kossetx; 09-05-2020, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
          more exercise next year........they are part of the curse
          I'm down to just 4-500 a year.

A lot of those are repeat customers. BTW I have a book called Texas Wild. In it it states a mesquite bean can lie dormant for 50 years.
          Last edited by Kossetx; 09-05-2020, 05:20 PM.

Comment

You can take a set of limb loppers, cut them off at ground level, stay on them, keep them cut off every time they show new leaves you'll kill them off. That is if you want to go the long drawn out route. Without leaves plants can't convert energy to store into the root system and will die.

Comment

I don’t think you are deep enough either, but can’t quite tell. Usually you need to be 10-14” and under the first lateral root.

Comment

If you don’t get the nasal root you are wasting your time. If you just need exercise you are good to go

Comment

It'd be nice if I could flag em so I would know but the flags would never be there by the time they start growing again. I could try just grubbing up around them and then basal stem remedy/diesel, but at below ground level like longshot said but without cutting them off. I guarantee at least some of these have been basal stem treated before.
                  Last edited by Kossetx; 09-05-2020, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                    You can take a set of limb loppers, cut them off at ground level, stay on them, keep them cut off every time they show new leaves you'll kill them off. That is if you want to go the long drawn out route. Without leaves plants can't convert energy to store into the root system and will die.

Ain’t buying that, I have kept too many mowed short only to have them come back stronger.

Comment

I told my neighbor the same thing when she asked about some cedar elms in her pasture...she looked at me crosseyed.

Comment

Need to get deeper.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumberger View Post
                          Need to get deeper.
                          "That's what she said." *michael scott

Comment

Not my experience by a long shot. Typically they come back thicker than ever for me. Repeat and more of the same. We have currently grubbed about 1500 acres and it’s amazing to see how they come back if the root is not completely pulled.

Comment

I spray with Sendero. It is non-restricted herbicide. Be sure to use lots of surfactant and spray every leaf.
                              I’m getting 75-80% kill, but be sure to leave them alone for a year before mowing them off.

You’ll miss some, but go back and hit them.

Stop spraying around early November

Comment

Working...
                              X