Fight a hospital bill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fight a hospital bill?

Before I begin explaining my situation, I harkened back to the thread a few weeks ago where a gentlemen was (if I am remembering correctly) $5,000 or so in credit card debt. His option that he ran past the green screen was to simply “not pay it.” It was met with many opinions which I will surmise and I agree with: “You bought it. Pay for it.” So if you read this post to its entirety and can only think of a similar conclusion, please save it. This is different, and I will explain why below.

Here in a week my son will be 3 months old. We had some complications with my wife, but luckily, God blessed the hands of our OB and the on-call urologist, so my wife’s still around to be a mother. All said, the bill is, after insurance, roughly $7,000.

My wife’s coworker told her to not pay anything and have an itemized bill sent to the house. She then said to fight the bill, and offer to pay some small amount like $25 a month. Eventually they’ll get tired of getting such a small amount and say that it’s ok to pay X amount and call it square.

We did step 1, and the list of crap they put on there is ridiculous. First off, $1,500 for 3 nights in the nursery. My son spent 1 night in the nursery. Next up, the bill claims that my son was injected with a dye for a scan. My son wasn’t scanned, x-rayed, or had any dye injections, so I’m not even sure how that can be on our bill.

I’ll save you the 6 pages of crap they are billing us. Just know that 1) we didn’t use or need things that we were billed for and 2) the prices of this stuff is beyond exorbitant.

We called the hospital to fight some items on the bill, however, we were told they can’t make adjustment until after 90 days when the bills go to collections. (I found that hard to believe, as I didn’t think hospital bills could go to collections.)

I have the money to pay in full, and honestly $7,000 for a son and to save your wife during labor is a trade I would make 100% of the time. However, if the cost can be reduced because I didn’t need or use a few of the services, should I try to wait it out as stated above?

What’s y’alls thoughts, opinions and experiences with this?

I have a friend that works for a lawfirm that specializes in fighting these types of medical bills. Get some legal council and let an attorney handle it.

Comment

If you can’t settle it out with them, I’d take the advice above.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
        Before I begin explaining my situation, I harkened back to the thread a few weeks ago where a gentlemen was (if I am remembering correctly) $5,000 or so in credit card debt. His option that he ran past the green screen was to simply “not pay it.” It was met with many opinions which I will surmise and I agree with: “You bought it. Pay for it.” So if you read this post to its entirety and can only think of a similar conclusion, please save it. This is different, and I will explain why below.

Here in a week my son will be 3 months old. We had some complications with my wife, but luckily, God blessed the hands of our OB and the on-call urologist, so my wife’s still around to be a mother. All said, the bill is, after insurance, roughly $7,000.

My wife’s coworker told her to not pay anything and have an itemized bill sent to the house. She then said to fight the bill, and offer to pay some small amount like $25 a month. Eventually they’ll get tired of getting such a small amount and say that it’s ok to pay X amount and call it square.

We did step 1, and the list of crap they put on there is ridiculous. First off, $1,500 for 3 nights in the nursery. My son spent 1 night in the nursery. Next up, the bill claims that my son was injected with a dye for a scan. My son wasn’t scanned, x-rayed, or had any dye injections, so I’m not even sure how that can be on our bill.

I’ll save you the 6 pages of crap they are billing us. Just know that 1) we didn’t use or need things that we were billed for and 2) the prices of this stuff is beyond exorbitant.

We called the hospital to fight some items on the bill, however, we were told they can’t make adjustment until after 90 days when the bills go to collections. (I found that hard to believe, as I didn’t think hospital bills could go to collections.)

I have the money to pay in full, and honestly $7,000 for a son and to save your wife during labor is a trade I would make 100% of the time. However, if the cost can be reduced because I didn’t need or use a few of the services, should I try to wait it out as stated above?

What’s y’alls thoughts, opinions and experiences with this?
        Eff doctors that bill for services that weren't performed and eff the whole insurance mess that occurs with it.

I wish I had an answer for you but unfortunately I don't know how to best remedy the situation. I will say there's no chance I would be paying for services that were not received and I would fight that until I died. Maybe your insurance company can help you fight the erroneous charges since they might be interested in knowing they paid for services that were potentially fraudulently billed.

Comment

I faced a similar situation for a kidney stone. 30 minute lithotripsy procedure and they charged my insurance company an insane amount of $$$. I paid the hospital $25 a month and after 4 yrs they wrote it off.

Comment

Ask the hospital to audit the bill before you pay anything. It's not uncommon at all to find things on hospital bills that shouldn't be there.

Some good info here as well: https://www.fairhealthconsumer.org/

Comment

Sounds like an insurance fraud case since Insurance was billed and paid erroneous items/services that were not performed.

Keep a time and resources log of all calls, emails, and time spent on this. Notes, names, dates, and times. If a lawyer is involved and gets ruled in your favor, bill the hospital for your time working on it and the time spent missing as a husband/father at a rate of $381/hour. If the hospital can charge stupid rates, so can you.

Comment

Each of us can send you a consultation bill for our thoughts and time spent reading/replying with 1 hour minimum charge and in the end cost may be a wash once you provide the bill to them.

Comment

they can send it to collections but it doesn't hurt you or your credit! I had multiple kidney stones in each kidney a couple years ago. thought I was about to die!I went to emergency room, got a scan to verify that was the problem and a shot of morphine for the pain. Told them I was a cash customer(no insurance). I later received bills totaling $5k for the 2 hour visit!! I paid a couple of the bills that I negotiated down and told them to take a hike on the rest, gouging me like I'm an insurance company. I get collection calls from time to time but that's it. my spam filter on my phone sends them to voice mail is the only way I know they call anymore.

Comment

Who is your insurance provider? I went through this on a much larger scale (over a million in total medical billing) and ended up filing with the state of Texas insurance board due to coverage limits and some issues regarding the EoB language vs what the provider actually paid. The company/broker that sold us our insurance worked with me and was a huge advocate for us. We set up a spreadsheet and the broker would audit all the expenses listed in the itemized bills. Right off the bat there were tens of thousands in double billing and about the same amount in errors. It took over 2 years to finalize everything but it was well worth the time and energy it required. I didn't hire any legal but I did have the brokerage group to help me.

Long story short, definitely get the itemized billing and audit them thoroughly before you pay a dime. After that, its up to you whether you want to setup a payment schedule or pay the balance in full. I didn't ever have anyone offer to cancel the payment plan but I do know that often times you can call them after a few months on the plan and they will settle the bill for 50% of the balance or less. We went through this with life flight and ultimately they settled the balance for much less than they originally wanted. The cost are very inflated for some things to cover other people who don't pay anything. I wasn't able to make the decision to pay nothing, didn't sit right since after all they did great work and the services they provided were truly life saving.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                      If you can’t settle it out with them, I’d take the advice above.
                      I’ll second this. Hospitals and doctors charge the crap out of those who WILL pay because so many WON’T pay. It’s not fair, and the “advice” given to the credit card debtor does not apply to your case

Comment

Originally posted by PoohDaddy View Post
                        they can send it to collections but it doesn't hurt you or your credit! I had multiple kidney stones in each kidney a couple years ago. thought I was about to die!I went to emergency room, got a scan to verify that was the problem and a shot of morphine for the pain. Told them I was a cash customer(no insurance). I later received bills totaling $5k for the 2 hour visit!! I paid a couple of the bills that I negotiated down and told them to take a hike on the rest, gouging me like I'm an insurance company. I get collection calls from time to time but that's it. my spam filter on my phone sends them to voice mail is the only way I know they call anymore.
                        There are certain medical services that can and will affect your credit. Subcontractors to hospitals are not all covered under the same legal framework. My wife had blood work and the fee for a consulting physician to review the blood work went on her credit and dinged us pretty good. It was a $28 fee that we never even saw until it was on the credit report.

Comment

It sounds like attempted theft on their part... No way in hail would I pay for services not rendered....

It's sounds like they are billing you for someone else's procedures that didn't have insurance, that can't pay, and the billing department was hoping you wouldn't catch it.... AKA Wealth distribution!!!

Comment

Interested in hearing your outcome on this... I **** sure wouldn’t pay phony charges. Have you called the insurance company? Have you got an EOB from them? I’m sure they wouldn’t be too happy to know they were billed for services not provided.

Comment

agree with others, your insurance company should be able to provide some help in this because they are not going to want to pay bad charges either.

Comment

Working...
                              X