Fan electrical for shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan electrical for shop

My shop is going up and have questions on the best route to prep for electrical for fans on porch.

My porch is 10' x 60' and plan on putting a ceiling fan centered in each 20' section.

What is the best way to prewire and mount an electrical box and flex to enable me to mount a ceiling fan later.
    It will be centered on each of the perlin.
    The soffit will be added once electrical is ran.

I really did not want to have to mount a box outside the soffit unless I have to.

Thought of mounting the box on top of the center purlin and drill a 1" hole through to feed wires.
    Then just screw the fan mount direct to the purlin..

What do you guys reccomend.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Have some supports installed(angle iron?) that would be the same as spacing in a home around where the fan is going to be installed. They make special ceiling fan boxes designed to support the weight and spin. Nut and bolt that box to the supports like you would screw in a box on wood joists or rafters. 1/4-20 bolts can handle 700lbs shear. So 1/4-20 bolts should be good for the angle iron and box. Enclose your wiring in 1/2"PVC conduit and use weather proof boxes. A 15a circuit should be enough for 3 fans and I would drop down an outlet or two on that wall utilizing the same circuit. That is how I would do it.

Comment

In the attached pic is a 3" purlin mounted in the center of each section.
      That is what was added to support the fan.

Comment

Tony has you generally headed in the right direction. Make sure you buy fan rated boxes as mentioned.

I may have missed it but what type of soffit material are you planning to use? I can make more suggestions if I know what your plan is for the soffit material to close it in.

I would not run 1/2” conduit of any type, I would step up to 3/4”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Planned to use 1" flex with 12/3

Appreciate the input.
          Last edited by hightech; 09-01-2020, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Soffit will be metal.

Comment

I also would run conduit. It will look better 5 years later. Flex may sag after awhile

1/2 would work but I'd run 3/4 trunk line and then 1/2 to my fans

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I would strong back that fan support purlin with another purlin of the same size. This would give it an "I" shape. It would give you more flange space to mount your fan support/electrical box.

After that, I would do either BX cable, or EMT conduit depending on the look your are wanting. EMT gives it more a finished look IMO. While BX is quicker, and more user friendly.

If I did BX, I would hide it in the "trough" on the backside of the C purlin for support (if that makes sense).

BTW, I am not an electrician. Just my experience from 20yrs of ranchin'.

Comment

Thanks all for the direction.
                  Since it will eventually be enclosed (r-panel soffit)
                  I am going with BX for this part.

Leaning towards bending conduit for the shop power as it is so much cleaner looking.

Thanks again gents.

Comment

Originally posted by hightech View Post
                    Soffit will be metal.

You should have had your cross purlin that you plan to attach the fan to turned on its side that way the electrical box would be concealed in the R-Panel. As it stands, there is no way the boxes and conduit won’t be visible.

Comment

Originally posted by hightech View Post
                      Thanks all for the direction.
                      Since it will eventually be enclosed (r-panel soffit)
                      I am going with BX for this part.

Leaning towards bending conduit for the shop power as it is so much cleaner looking.

Thanks again gents.

Well you won’t be using BX but father MC cable. I personally would not. If you ever have an issue you will have to take the R-Panel down to replace the wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                        Well you won’t be using BX but father MC cable. I personally would not. If you ever have an issue you will have to take the R-Panel down to replace the wire.

Thanks for that. Yes I need MC for ground.

Comment

Working...
                        X