Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s the modern day equivalent of a classic deer rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s the modern day equivalent of a classic deer rifle?

I think we can all relate to the appreciation for grandpa’s old Winchester 30-30 or Remington 700 deer rifle. It seems like those were two of the classics that our parents/grandparents had. I was wondering through, what do you think is the equivalent of that today? With all the plastic stocks being sold, I can’t imagine that our kids will look back with the sample level of fondness of seeing dad/grandpa hunting with a black plastic stock, but maybe I’m wrong.

Do you think there are any current rifles that in 30-50 years will be looked upon as those a classic? If so, what would it be? Do you think it’s still the Remington 700? Winchester Model 70?

I see a classic firearm being one with a story behind it more than what the rifle is made of.
    That being said, I tend to stay away from plastic stock rifles.

Comment

Winchester 70
      700 CDL/BDL
      Weatherby Mark V Deluxe
      Winchester lever guns

Nope. I don’t think it will change.

Comment

I think the days of a “classic deer rifle” are being overrun by the tacti-cool fad and all the talk about gun bans.

To me any classic wood stocked rifle in a classic caliber qualifies as a “classic deer rifle”

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Browning a-bolt medallion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

i think alot of people are gonna be saying ...Maaan ,those ruger americans were awesome!!
            but maybe thats just me.

Comment

Originally posted by 4dog View Post
              i think alot of people are gonna be saying ...Maaan ,those ruger americans were awesome!!
              but maybe thats just me.
              The Ruger Americans will likely be the new “Remington 788” or comparable.

I can see the first gen Remington sendero’s being the next classics.
              The Winchester supergrades
              The Remington cdl’s or laminated possibly

Comment

I think what we look at as Classics today will still be in the future. Hopefully my grandson will still be shooting my 25-06 Custom Deluxe 700.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Nothing with that ugly plastic!

Comment

AR-10 or AR-15

Comment

50 years from now our classic rifles will be in a dumpster from a buy back program.

Our next Democrat prez will ensure that.

Comment

Dakota #10 Single shot.

Comment

Weatherby, Browning, Kimber-- all make rifles that will be classics. Plenty of others too.

Comment

To the OP's question of what modern rifle today will be the "classic" rifle tomorrow, I agree that the Ruger American will probably fall into that category along with the Savage. They are affordable and are already prevalent in ownership. Add in that they are really accurate rifles is what puts them there. The classics of today (700, 70, .30-30, etc...) will be the antique of tomorrow. I think what makes a classic in the up and comer's eyes is who used the rifle before them. And with so many of those rifles being used now, they have a high chance of becoming the classic of tomorrow

Comment

All the old folks I know bought what was cheap and worked.

That's how we ended up with the 30-30s and rem 700s.

I ended up with both of my grandpa's marlin 336 in .35 rem and his 700 in .270 Both are no frills meat getters.

Comment

Working...
                              X