state parks - tent camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planning to go for a 2~3 night camping trip with the family right after Christmas (assuming the weather doesn't get too silly)

options on the destination are down to:
    Martin dies, Mission Tejas, Inks Lake

any insight from those familiar with them which may sway us to/away from one or another?

Might be a tad cool but should be fun.
    Inks is nice anytime.

Comment

You look into Colorado Bend State Park? It's super remote with endless miles of hiking trails.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
        You look into Colorado Bend State Park? It's super remote with endless miles of hiking trails.
        yes, it is booked up for our dates, going to have to plan further ahead for that one!

Comment

I tent camped in Palo Duro for two nights during a blizzard back in 2012ish. Did it just to test my gear before my first mountain hunt. I froze my butt off at night
          Low teens during the day, and low single digits at night with about 8-12” of snow on the ground.

Comment

Mission Tejas is a nice little park. Won’t be very crowded. I always enjoy Martin Dies. Great trails and the nature center programs are great for kids, plus the fishing can be good. We have a fifth wheel so I can’t speak for the tent camping, but there are plenty of sites.

Comment

To echo the above...
              Mission Tejas is small but very pretty and not crowded. Check out the Caddo Mounds State Historic Site which is nearby. The visitor center was destroyed by a tornado last year, but the mounds were unharmed. Also nearby is Ratcliff Lake Recreation Area which has hiking and fishing.

Martin Dies probably has more activities and amenities. There are more hiking trails and a paddling trail. Martin Dies is bigger so there is just more to explore and a lot more fishing opportunities

I’ve only been to Inks Lake once in the summer and it as absolutely jammed up with people

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                I tent camped in Palo Duro for two nights during a blizzard back in 2012ish. Did it just to test my gear before my first mountain hunt. I froze my butt off at night
                Low teens during the day, and low single digits at night with about 8-12” of snow on the ground.
                Always toss a few of those hot hands things in the bag before bed.... really work well to stave off the bite

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                  No pics. It didnt happen.

Comment

We tent Camp at Martin Dies every spring break. The kids love it.

You can use a buddy heater to knock off the chill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

thanks for the inputs! leaning toward Martin dies now

Comment

Working...
                      X