My American Dingo - long read/pic heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My American Dingo - long read/pic heavy

Anyone heard of the American Dingo AKA Carolina Dog. I hadn’t. The history is pretty cool.

The Carolina Dog is a true "primitive" dog breed also known as the American Dingo. Learn more about this incredible breed with wild roots!

Turns out I OWN one! In addition to being a spitting image of the dogs in the video, my dog (Sam) has all the physical traits in the site above. (Some pics below seem unusual but they were chosen to depict physical features like the curl of the tail or tufts of hair on the back legs.)

Found a pup at the ranch a couple years ago. Thread below for context...

When people meet sam, they immediately say she’s a dingo. We always assumed she was some sort of wild dog. We figured at least part coyote based on where we found her, jaw structure, and behavior. I’ve owned talkative dogs before but nothing compares to the way sam yaps. (Moser even mentioned in original thread “looks like a talker”). I’m talking open mouth, guttural yapping. Sometimes she’ll even let out a singular, shrill scream - usually when she’s impatiently waiting to go outside. Even when she barks, it’s more comparable to a coyote’s whiney bark than that of a typical dog. Wish I could upload .mov files.

Even the way she moves. She has this sneaky trot with her ears tucked back and head down. Looks the way a coyote does sneaking across a sendero. She chases the truck when I’m picking up people from deer stands in the dark. Several times, she’s scared the crap out of someone as they see a dog in the dark sprinting towards us (trying to catch up to the truck) in that posture of hers.

Quirky as all get out too. 1) This dog only eats at night making traveling difficult since I kennel her at night. 2) She LOVES the mud but will not get her paws wet in the morning dew. Usually ends up front feet in the grass, peeing on the concrete. 3) Sam loves the shower too. She had a bad habit of jumping in the shower with me when she was a puppy. Though we’ve since broken the behavior, she still loves bath time. Also, spray bottles that were intended to be punishment have turned out to be rewards. 4) When given a treat, she won't sit and enjoy it. She systematically picks up and moves across the room every 2-3 minutes while shes eating it.

She’s also the most loyal and willing to please of all the dogs I’ve owned. My family raises incredible bird dogs (Drahts) so I’ve been fortunate to be around some awesome working dogs the last 20 years. Like them, Sam is incredibly sharp. Has a list of commands that she performs. I often have to switch the order in which we practice because she’ll be on the next command before I say it. Again, eager to please.

Unlike every one of our hunting dogs, Sam is a watch dog through and through. The other dogs have to be watched 24/7 because if they get a whiff of a pig/deer, they’re gone to the next county. If someone wants a video, I can text to them. Recorded the whole thing as sam sat on the front porch unaware of the deer in the yard. She sees it, barks like hell, ran to where the deer was standing, and then barked some more before retreating to her perch on the front porch. Guard dog for sure.

Next thing to do is some DNA testing. Just for grins. The Nat geo article I read said something about them being plucked from the woods because they looked like dogs we had at the time. Genetically, they expected them to be closely related to modern dogs. Turns out they’re closer to early, primitive dogs.

She’s been a great dog and companion. She runs around town with me and even comes and hangs out at the office on occasion.

Pic from video

Sam

And she’s got one HECK of an attitude. She gets a bit defensive when she knows she’s in trouble. Will show all her teeth and stands all her hair up. Scares people the first time they see it but then she cools off once she’s in her kennel. Look at that face! Not happy.

Anyways, thanks for reading if you made it this far. Wanted to provide an update on K9 Saving Sam AKA Sam
    Last edited by BlackHogDown; 11-15-2019, 08:36 AM.

Fish hook tail, not touching back: check
    Belly tuck higher than lowest point of rib cage: check
    Ribs extend to the elbows. Deep and lean: check

I'll get some head, chest, and neck pics later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Keep her away from babies!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
        Keep her away from babies!!!

Definitely keep her away from squirrels. She's nabbed a few.

Comment

Pretty interesting and a great looking dog.

How do you suppose she came to be in TX? There is a wild population on the east coast. And perhaps some pets scattered here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
            Pretty interesting and a great looking dog.

How do you suppose she came to be in TX? There is a wild population on the east coast. And perhaps some pets scattered here and there.
            I'd love to know where she spent her first nine weeks. In the condition we found her, it was hard to imagine her living days, let alone weeks. She was 9 pounds and covered in fleas, hookworms, and tapeworms.

Comment

Cool site for those interested.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                http://www.californiacarolinadogs.com/links.htm

Cool site for those interested.
                Cool. Keep the info coming.

Comment

Dingoes have much larger canine teeth than dogs. She looks the part.

Comment

She looks to be a yellow Dingo.

Yellow
                    Sandy-yellow coat with a white under-body that often extends to the cheek. White socks and white tail tip is common.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Tracker View Post
                      She looks to be a yellow Dingo.

Yellow
                      Sandy-yellow coat with a white under-body that often extends to the cheek. White socks and white tail tip is common.
                      I wonder if this is what i keep stumbling upon. They are AKA "yellow dogs." or "yeller dogs". Ol' timers swear that the book (Old Yeller) was based on one of these guys... so I've read.

Comment

Pics are not the best, but I think it's a bobcat.

Cool dingo dog

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          Pics are not the best, but I think it's a bobcat.

She thinks she’s a cat sometimes. When couch is full, she’ll sit on top behind our heads IF you let her. For the sake of the pic this time, I allowed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Cool story. Been doing your homework eh?
                              Last week my cousin was dog sitting a pooch who was quite vocal. A Chow/ Lab mix. I kept thinking it was part dingo. Not now i have seen your dogs pics.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X