Kansas bound in 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kansas bound in 2020

Just booked my first out of State hunt. Headed the Hickory Creek in southeast Kansas. Pretty excited about it. 11/16-11/20/2020
    Now it dawns on me, what do I need to learn between now and then? Besides taking warmer clothes than we need in Texas, what advice can I get from the GS?

You have to draw in right?

Comment

First obstacle is drawing a tag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
        First obstacle is drawing a tag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Been told they have 100% the last few years but we will see. Thanks

Comment

Yes, more than likely you will get you preferred zone but just making sure it is on your radar.

Comment

Originally posted by DosToros View Post
            Yes, more than likely you will get you preferred zone but just making sure it is on your radar.
            And I do appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by cwashby View Post
              Been told they have 100% the last few years but we will see. Thanks
              Don’t bank on the 100% draw. It “used” to be that way. Last 2 years I’ve known plenty that didn’t draw unfortunately. You’d have done best to buy a preference point this year and be assured to draw next year. Prob too late for that now though. Hopefully your unit has a good % to draw. I’m familiar with HC as they used to run hunts around us... I’m guessing they still hunt Units 12 & 14 but maybe they’re in others too

Also hear there may be a vote to get back landowner tags that they can sell to NR like outfitters used to do. Not sure on that though. My KS landowner buddy mentioned it...

As far as hunt goes, yes...take much warmer clothes and plan to do some all-day sits if weather is right. Bucks are aggressive and will respond to calls and rattling like nothing you’ve seen before. So after you do a sequence get your bow and be ready just in case. Know your goals for what you want to shoot. You can easily see a 130-140”+ 3yr old buck. They will fool you with their size and headgear. Practice shooting with your heaviest gear on. You get all stove up on stand in below freezing weather and it can be tough to draw on a big KS buck. And have fun...it can be magical.

I’m here now and it’s about to get good. Think it's my 13-14th year now
              Last edited by mdnabors; 11-16-2019, 11:06 PM.

Comment

If it's the one in Sadan dont go to the bar whit them

Comment

With

Comment

mdnabors,
                    Thanks for the great advice! That's the stuff I was hoping for. I plan on practicing longer shots than I do around here. Hadn't really thought about doing it with heavier clothes, but will now!

gig one,
                    This sounds like experience talking! I will TRY to remember it!

Comment

Be prepared for anything weather wise. I have been hunting KS now for 7 yrs and I have literally hunted in shorts because it was warm and I have hunted in temps too cold to describe with 2’ of snow on the ground.
                      The wind blows like nothing you have ever seen.

Fingers crossed you get drawn. I’ve kept up with the draw stats since 2015 and more and more NR are applying. 2019 was the 1st yr that there were 0 leftover tags.

TV makes it seems as if there is a big buck behind every tree. That simply isnt the case. Not even close.
                      The landowner tag bill was not passed

Comment

Not sure about the area you will be hunting, but the area I hunted was TOTALLY different from the deer there to the deer here in Tx. Deer up there are way more vocal. The best call to learn is the snort wheeze, but only use it on mature deer. A good grunt call and rattling horns are a must. If you have to hunt over corn, just pour a couple bags in a pile. Where I hunted, the deer never looked up. My first Ks buck, I was barely 10ft off the ground when I shot him. My biggest, only about 12ft up.
                        The wind is always blowing. If it turns off cold, a wind/water proof outer shell with a good insulated inner, because you need to hunt all day. And just because the wind is blowing doesn't mean the deer will be hunkered down. Quiet the opposite.
                        And remember this, you can't kill a 170+ if you shoot a 140!!

Comment

There's the obvious things like weather, hunting from a elevated stand, longer shots, longer sits from a tree (all day), body size of deer, etc. that most mention. The one huge learning curve I had was being prepared if a shot actually presented itself. Unlike sitting at a feeder, these deer are on the move! The aren't stopping to feed in most cases. Basically if you think you see a deer, a doe, a young buck, hook your loop and get ready. There may only be a split second to draw in a lot of cases. If you can see everything coming, disregard. Have had experience with spots that weren't the case and potential shots were over before it ever started.

Comment

This is all great stuff and I really do appreciate it all!

Comment

Y not go to the bar? Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X