Average size v.s. animal #'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Average size v.s. animal #'s

Just curious on people's thoughts. At this moment is 20 whitetail deer, 20 axis, 15 black buck, and about 10 pigs too many animals to be on 160 acres high fenced in the cedar covered hill country?

Will the quality ever be there on a plot that small?

Yes. Unless you have an unlimited funds for protein. If you think you have ten pigs you'll have 200 by next yr.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
      Yes. Unless you have an unlimited funds for protein. If you think you have ten pigs you'll have 200 by next yr.
      Not my place thankfully. A good friend of mines place and we argued back and forth about it. I think like you do, but he thinks everything is good. (And no he does not have endless funds for protein)

Comment

I've seen more animals on less acreage but it pretty much looks like a feed lot.

Hogs gotta go.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

The pigs are gonna be a much bigger problem than the deer. Gonna be difficult to control their numbers in thick cedar.

Comment

I would not want ANY pigs in my high fence. Just counting the deer and antelope, your density is 3 acres per animal. The place is going to look like a parking lot and you’re going to be spending a fortune on feed and you’ll have to do a lot of herd thinning every year.
            In the hill country 1 deer per 10 acres is okay assuming exceptional habitat. The more you put in there, the more you have to spend on feed.

Comment

I bet he’s got a horrific browse line showing on his trees. And At that point, it’s too late.

Comment

You could charge admission to the petting zoo to offset the cost of feed. Maybe tie a few up to a carousel and let the kids ride them around. You can always turn them back out to "hunt".

Comment

Working...
                X