10 day demand letter help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Laketex View Post
    Maybe have a friend rent the trailer, then not fill out the paperwork, block it in, call the sheriff, you bring the title and paperwork, and take the trailer home?
    Say whaaaatttt????

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
    Update!

Tina went to the Ft Bend Sheriff's Office with all the required documents.
    They filed a stolen vehicle report and praised her on having all her ducks in a row with the demand letter, signed receipt, contract and proof of where it was.

I don't know how fast they'll act, but Vakay will be getting a visit from a detective in the near future.

In the mean time, I'll file a complaint with the BBB.

Bryan11, renting RVs could be a lucrative business, but I wouldn't trust someone like this. If you did it yourself, through rvshare.com or outdoorsy.com, I think you could have a much better result. We were doing it like that at first, but with our schedules, and having the RV stored 15 miles from our house, it was just a pain.
    I think I'll wait to see what kind of shape it's in, before I file a suit for the owed money.
    Good deal. Keep us posted!

Comment

Originally posted by Laketex View Post
      Maybe have a friend rent the trailer, then not fill out the paperwork, block it in, call the sheriff, you bring the title and paperwork, and take the trailer home?
      We actually talked to one of our friends (that has a 1 ton truck; my Tundra won't pull it) and thought about going down there. If the trailer was actually on their lot, just hooking up to it and taking it home. I figured with the title, there's not much that Vakay could do. The officer that Tina talked to, yesterday said that even though it is our trailer, that could have landed us in a mess ... trespassing.

I often feel like our laws do more for the criminals, but it seems like we took the right steps that will keep us out of trouble. I'm sure, in the end, we'll be in the red, but at least we'll be done with them.

Anyone in the market for a 32' 2017 Trail Runner?

Comment

We actually talked to one of our friends (that has a 1 ton truck; my Tundra won't pull it) and thought about going down there. If the trailer was actually on their lot, just hooking up to it and taking it home. I figured with the title, there's not much that Vakay could do. The officer that Tina talked to, yesterday said that even though it is our trailer, that could have landed us in a mess ... trespassing.

I often feel like our laws do more for the criminals, but it seems like we took the right steps that will keep us out of trouble. I'm sure, in the end, we'll be in the red, but at least we'll be done with them.

I own virtually the same camper, 32’ and you can pull it with a tundra, I’ve seen me do it.

All you need is a equalizer hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I could see where that is a very gray line.

One could argue that the renter could have an expectation of privacy since they rented the trailer. On the flip side the rental agreement is null and void since they havent paid the note and as far as Im concerned and Im the one that shows up, your name is on the registration, youre lovely wife has all this nice paperwork. Hook it up and lets go. Its the same as a car repo if you ask me.

The rest can come out later but at least you have your property. I mean, what sort of complaint does the renter file anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
            I own virtually the same camper, 32’ and you can pull it with a tundra, I’ve seen me do it.

All you need is a equalizer hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-09-15 070753.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	24692526

Nuff said!

Comment

I would send them a certified letter stating the contract terms and the payments owed.

If they sign for the letter, it's hard to prove that they were not aware of what was going on if it escalates to legal action.

"This letter shall be official notice to you, that if the item is not returned to ______ address by ________date that further legal action shall be pursued"

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                I could see where that is a very gray line.

One could argue that the renter could have an expectation of privacy since they rented the trailer. On the flip side the rental agreement is null and void since they havent paid the note and as far as Im concerned and Im the one that shows up, your name is on the registration, youre lovely wife has all this nice paperwork. Hook it up and lets go. Its the same as a car repo if you ask me.

The rest can come out later but at least you have your property. I mean, what sort of complaint does the renter file anyway?
                I think this also. No contract, rental agreement, nothing.

The only recourse they would have is if they claim to live in the trailer like a home. That gets deep into the BS.

BTW - You may want to debate(or ask people who have sued) if waiting is a good idea. I'd lean towards starting the suit now. You know you're not getting the 5-6+ months rent owed you for starters. Add in everything else you can think of. Also add in a vague amount (if possible) for damage.

Worse case is you get to court and they still don't have your RV back to you. So you sue for what's owed plus get it on record in courts they stole your RV and when it gets back to court (if next court can see last courts record) you'd be golden on whatever damages there were.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                  I think this also. No contract, rental agreement, nothing.

The only recourse they would have is if they claim to live in the trailer like a home. That gets deep into the BS.

BTW - You may want to debate(or ask people who have sued) if waiting is a good idea. I'd lean towards starting the suit now. You know you're not getting the 5-6+ months rent owed you for starters. Add in everything else you can think of. Also add in a vague amount (if possible) for damage.

Worse case is you get to court and they still don't have your RV back to you. So you sue for what's owed plus get it on record in courts they stole your RV and when it gets back to court (if next court can see last courts record) you'd be golden on whatever damages there were.
                  Do not forget to include court costs and “document preparation”. Barges in the filing. Civil courts are very willing to tack these on.

Comment

I bet its barely worth burning by the time you get it back unfortunately

Comment

If the renters are living in it, you might have to go through an evictions process to get them out.

Sounds like a nightmare situation.

Comment

In for results.....

Comment

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post
                          I would send them a certified letter stating the contract terms and the payments owed.

If they sign for the letter, it's hard to prove that they were not aware of what was going on if it escalates to legal action.

"This letter shall be official notice to you, that if the item is not returned to ______ address by ________date that further legal action shall be pursued"

Comment

Even though you insurance will probably cover it are you going to go after the company as well? I guess I take stuff like that more personal than most, and couldn't sleep at night knowing that there would be no consequences to the company for what they did if I just took my insurance money and walked away.

Didn't you have a plan to go on a week long family vacation in your camper across the U.S. right after the contract was up? That now can't happen because of the actions of said mentioned company?

Comment

If or when the case gets to the DA's Office, and the individuals are charged/indicted, a common effort to dispose of the case is that if the charged person(s) agrees to return the RV in good condition, plus pay outstanding rental fees to the OP (restitution), then the DA's Office might agree to dismiss the case, or place the defendant on pretrial diversion, which has become very common in Ft. Bend County.

Comment

I'd take the letter and contract to your local PD or Sheriff and report it stolen. Don't take the first "no" from a lazy-desk-bound LEO. Let your insurance company deal with it. That's why you pay them. They'll cut you a check quickly.

I went the lawsuit route when a repo company took my Harley (mistaken for another one) and damaged it. I was mad and wanted them to have to pay me personally. I won the suit in JP Court (small claims) but they refused to pay, and filed an appeal to the Brazoria County Appeals Court. There's nothing you can do about it, even if you win, other than pursue a judgement over their assets. But even then you have an uphill battle to ever recover anything at all. They'll just sell their assets for pennies on the dollar to a family member or friend. BTW if I'd won an appeal, I couldn't sue for anything greater than the first judgement won in JP Court. Not even for further court or legal fees.

My insurance company had me a check in less than a week.

Comment

Working...
                                X