Advice for South Africa bow hunt 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for South Africa bow hunt 2022-2023

My friend and I would like to make our first trip to South Africa to hunt. We are thinking 2022 or 2023.

We will be taking our wives. We would like to hunt for a week and then wine and dine the wives for a week and take them on a photo safari.

I've read through some of the hunting reports and it looks like Limcroma Safari's is pretty popular.

Any advice, links, recommendations would be appreciated.

I can offer a bit of advice on the wine part. I highly recommend staying at Spier Wine Farm in Stellenbosch. The rooms are insanely nice, there's multiple excellent restaurants on site, the place is beautiful, and there's a spa for the ladies. Their wine is unfortunately mediocre, however you're smack dab in the middle of the cape winelands, so you'll have plenty of vineyards to try.

Comment

African arrow safaris is great if you’re bow hunting. I took my wife and then 7 year old son last summer. We went to a predator park and an elephant encounter. We had a great time.

Comment

Thanks everybody. I'm going to be looking at every recommendation sent to me. We really want to do our research and take our time planning. I'll probably be bumping this for awhile.

Comment

Any recent trips?

Comment

Sent you a PM

Comment

Originally posted by DJames View Post
              Sent you a PM
              Thank you and I'll stay in touch.

Comment

I’ve been twice in the last 3 years, went with Beyond Horizon Safaris on the recommendation of the late Ed Phillips, Ed was the auctioneer for a large number of CCA, DU, DSC banquets etc...., Ed had been on several trips with Beyond Horizon’s Juan MacDonald, and that’s who he recommended to us. My son and I have hunted twice with them, once in the Eastern Cape, once in the Free State, while they do offer rifle hunts ours were bow only, and the majority our animals were killed spot and stalk. We hunted two weeks each time and had an awesome time, I can give them the highest recommendation. My advise to you would be once you pick an outfit, see if they donate any hunts to any organization that will be auctioned, you can generally save quite a bit of money buying these hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by redfishted View Post
                  I’ve been twice in the last 3 years, went with Beyond Horizon Safaris on the recommendation of the late Ed Phillips, Ed was the auctioneer for a large number of CCA, DU, DSC banquets etc...., Ed had been on several trips with Beyond Horizon’s Juan MacDonald, and that’s who he recommended to us. My son and I have hunted twice with them, once in the Eastern Cape, once in the Free State, while they do offer rifle hunts ours were bow only, and the majority our animals were killed spot and stalk. We hunted two weeks each time and had an awesome time, I can give them the highest recommendation. My advise to you would be once you pick an outfit, see if they donate any hunts to any organization that will be auctioned, you can generally save quite a bit of money buying these hunts.
                  Thumbs up on the spot and stalk. To the OP, make sure your PH is cool with spot and stalk when you are inquiring about booking. Sitting over a waterhole with alfalfa spread out, in my opinion, doesn't give you all Africa has to offer.

Comment

African Arrow. Went and took my wife in 2017. It was great.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
                      Any recent trips?
                      I went for my 4th trip with Limcroma last July. Great time as usual. Hopefully you've seen some of my reports on them over the years. My wife doesn't hunt so we did several non hunting things so it wasn't just about me. PM me with any questions. I'd be happy to answer them. heck may even join you when you go again. Was hoping to get back there in 2021 but since 2020 has been shut down it has push all plans back a year. So, might be going in 2022.

Comment

I recommend making a list of about 8-12 outfitters. South Africa has tons of great ones ... Limcroma, Coenraad Vermaak Safaris, Thormahlen and Cochran and others mentioned here.
                        Have a priority list of animals and ways you want to hunt. How big are the areas- most ranches in SA are under high fence and lots of variations on sizes of properties.
                        What amenities for the wives are important?
                        Go to Dallas Safari Club in Feb and sit and talk to your list of outfitters. You'll have a feeling about the one that is right for you. Lot of great choices and have fun!!

Comment

Small group with the place to yourself or a large group of other hunters in the same camp? Everyone that knows me knows I will allays go with Harry Net and Gerry Pretoriuos with African Arrow Safaris Not the biggest but he has plenty of animals and they are trophy auality. He will not let you shoot what he does not consider a trophy. I have some brochures I can sen you if needed. Let me know. I also have pics of all our critters from 3 trips. Compare them to others and you will see his trophy quality. I can answer any questions you need. Just pm me.

Comment

Following

Comment

I hunted with Numzaan safaris in Limpopo and had an excellent time.

Most bowhunting is done at waterholes, we took our rifles and did mostly spot and stalk ( wife shot her kudu at a waterhole ).

As mentioned before, if you strictly sit at waterholes ( by far the best way to get within bow range of African game ) then you will be missing out on a lot of experiences Africa has to offer.

Every time you drive out of camp you are pretty much on a photo safari. We saw just about every animal you can think of save for lion, elephant and leopard.

Comment

Working...
                              X