Cubing Loyalty Points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
    You’re exactly right. You are going to want to build up points in specific categories and only burn those on the prime hunts. The days of applying for a bunch of hunts are over apparently. You wouldn’t want to burn your gun either sex points on some goofy hunt when you’re trying to get drawn on Chapparal.

I have 24 points in Gun - Either Sex whitetail. I have to be real picky on what I apply for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I would have read that before I put in for 30 draws this year. But it is all good. I have been looking for the push to start traveling to different states and attempting the OTC hunts. This may be just the push I needed.
    I put in for Alaska draw every year, just because I have a brother and dont have to pay for a guide. But I guess I will start studying up on New Mexico and Colorado.

Comment

Originally posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
      Just curious because I don't know much about other states draw systems and the entire multiplier (cubing) process......

What is so bad about the process? I was genuinely hoping it would reward (help them to draw) people like the individuals above who had 23 and 25 points in any particular category.
      Right now points are not terribly expensive in Texas $3. Once cubing and quadrupling schemes kick in, there is no motivation for people with low or no points to apply for the prime hunts as they would have to invest for 20 years to have a realistic chance. Members with moderately high points balance have to play. State will have to raise cost for points to make the same money.

There are fewer and fewer draws out of state that are worth it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
        So my 25 points in the Pronghorn category will put my name in the hat 15,625 times. That would be super awesome if I was the only one with a lot of points. I'm not though. Fingers crossed anyway.
        Yeah, my BIL and my measly 15 points (3,375) won't even put us in the running for the 12 permits for Rita Blanca.

Comment

It’s all dependent on what the average of loyalty points is, overall, for each particular draw to know whether or not it actually benefits you. They won’t, but it’d be nice if they’d post those numbers for each hunt so you’d be able to know what your true odds are. Hats off to those who have 20+ in certain categories, hopefully your patience will pay off. Me on the other hand with 2-4 points in most categories... I can pretty much hang it up for this season, lol.

Comment

Had I known about the cubing I probably would have spent a small fraction of what I did on applying for these hunts this year knowing that my already slim odds have been slashed. As it is, I'll probably start focusing on spending money on out of state hunt applications instead or just out of state OTC public land hunting. Since I just started hunting again 2 years ago and only have a couple of points in most categories the odds of getting drawn, especially for the next few years, has been cut significantly. This will definitely change how I approach the draw and how much I spend bc I applied for A LOT of hunts hoping to get lucky on something since I don't have a lease or anywhere else to hunt.

Thank goodness for the TYHP so I can at least go hunt with my kids if they get lucky and get picked for one of those hunts.

Comment

TPWD pretty much guaranteed a multi-year wait (6+ imo) before you get drawn in any category...not a good way to go for those starting out as the odds are greatly stacked against new hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
                TPWD pretty much guaranteed a multi-year wait (6+ imo) before you get drawn in any category...not a good way to go for those starting out as the odds are greatly stacked against new hunters.
                you've got to start somewhere, and unlike actual preference point states, you still have a chance of being drawn with few points

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
                  People complained about not having the option to just buy a point, now you have it...

Comment

Yeah... every state with multipliers ends up with a pretty bad draw system in a few years. I won't be putting in for hunts if this happens. I'll just hunt hogs and deer on public like always.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                      Yeah... every state with multipliers ends up with a pretty bad draw system in a few years. I won't be putting in for hunts if this happens. I'll just hunt hogs and deer on public like always.
                      Read the whole thread...

Comment

Originally posted by jaredmartin View Post
                        I wish I would have read that before I put in for 30 draws this year..
                        Same....

Comment

I feel like my math is right. Here’s an example of what the odds would have been for the 2019 Chaparral GDE based on historical numbers - old draw vs new. The average loyalty points per person that I used was an assumption, obviously that will vary but overall this gives you a good idea of how the percentages have shifted.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by BobbyJoe; 07-28-2020, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jaredmartin View Post
                            Dang. I may be drawing Laguna after all this year. And this should let all the big point guys get their chance, and clear the way of me next year. Feel sorry for the guys just starting, gives them almost no chance.
                            The Refuge Deer category has only been around since 2016 so lots of folks are sitting on maximum points.

Comment

Saw this on the other forum

1: 1x1x1 = 1
                              2: 2x2x2 = 8
                              3: 3x3x3 = 27
                              4: 4x4x4 = 64
                              5: 5x5x5 = 125
                              6: 6x6x6 = 216
                              7: 7x7x7 = 343
                              8: 8x8x8 = 512
                              9: 9x9x9 = 729
                              10: 10x10x10 = 1,000
                              11: 11x11x11 = 1,331
                              12: 12x12x12 = 1,728
                              13: 13x13x13 = 2,197
                              14: 14x14x14 = 2,744
                              15: 15x15x15 = 3,375

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post
                                I feel like my math is right. Here’s an example of what the odds would have been for the 2019 Chaparral GDE based on historical numbers - old draw vs new. The average loyalty points per person that I used was an assumption, obviously that will vary but overall this gives you a good idea of how the percentages have shifted.
                                Interesting. Did you use the 5 year average points to adjust the total entries as well as the draw odds? In other words, multiply the total applicants (4,297) by 125 and then calculate odds for someone with 5 points who had their name in the pot 125 times?

Comment

Working...
                                X