Draw hunts / Hagerman Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draw hunts / Hagerman Open

Looks like they now are allowing up to 4 applicants for hagerman.

Fee went up also.

Proof of completion of Bowhunter Education will be required for all drawn hunters. Contact Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge at 903-786-2826 for more information. Hunting Compartments: Harris Creek, Big Mineral, and Sandy.
    No standbys available.
    1 – 4 people per application
    HUNT DATESNov 06, 2020 – Nov 08, 2020Nov 20, 2020 – Nov 22, 2020Dec 04, 2020 – Dec 06, 2020
    BAG LIMITFour White-tailed Deer; Either Sex; Limit Two Antlerless and Two Bucks; Bucks must have an inside spread of 13 inches or greater or have at least one unbranched antler. Limit one buck with inside spread of 13 inches or greater.
    Unlimited Feral Hogs
    ONLY MEANS ALLOWEDAll Archery Equipment
    HUNT METHODEntire Area
    BAITINGNot allowed
    PERMITSAvailable: 233Fee per adult: $80.00Fee per youth: $0.00
    AGE REQUIREMENTSYouth ages: 9- 16Adult minimum age: 17Supervising adult minimum age: 18

Is there and advantage in having 4 applicants together vs individually? Does it up your odds?

Comment

Originally posted by ArcheryNerd View Post
      Is there and advantage in having 4 applicants together vs individually? Does it up your odds?
      only if the other 3 have preference point and you don't

Comment

In my conversation with the refuge- the qualifier should still be required. Won't impact many other than time, but would impact the last minute archery purchasers.

And as a side note, until I get additional information, per TPWD- drawing is September 1st, and we are not to schedule any BH Ed courses at least thru August pending the pandemic BS. And starting 1st of September- it's hunting season.

Good luck fellers.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
          In my conversation with the refuge- the qualifier should still be required. Won't impact many other than time, but would impact the last minute archery purchasers.

And as a side note, until I get additional information, per TPWD- drawing is September 1st, and we are not to schedule any BH Ed courses at least thru August pending the pandemic BS. And starting 1st of September- it's hunting season.

Good luck fellers.
          It doesn't say anything about it in the hunt info or catelog but does say it on the hag website. Wonder how many people will apply and not even see the tiny note at top about bow Ed or certainly miss the requirement for the qualifier.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I would think that once they are notified of the hunt (if drawn), that should be spelled out in the requirements. Would be nice to have some possibly standby positions, not looking forward to the TPWD system, they can wreck a bowling ball.

Comment

I think a lot of hunters that have had the luck to hunt there in the past like the requirements because of the exclusivity. With Covid, finding an opportunity to attend the Texas required field day will be extremely difficult. This will ultimately limit quite a few hunters that would love to throw their name in the hat. I would hate to see other hunters denied the opportunity to hunt there because the our State’s field day requirement, but so few opportunities to take it. If anyone wants to hunt there but is worried about not being able to attend the field day, please PM me and I’ll lead you in the right direction. Good luck this year

Comment

TexasArchery_27, explain the "exclusivity", as I've witnessed there was none. It has been publicly announced, plenty of annual threads, courses announced here, THF and TPWD, so please explain.

I'm not trying to stir a poop storm, just tryng to understand the statement. PM if you would like.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                  TexasArchery_27, explain the "exclusivity", as I've witnessed there was none. It has been publicly announced, plenty of annual threads, courses announced here, THF and TPWD, so please explain.

I'm not trying to stir a poop storm, just tryng to understand the statement. PM if you would like.
                  The “exclusivity” statement refers to additional requirements above and beyond the normal requirements for the average Joe to participate in drawn hunts and use the land he technically shares ownership in. The proficiency and bowhunter education (in addition to hunter education) represent friction and reduce the overall number of participants in previous drawings. During this pandemic with so few opportunities to take the field day requirement will also limit hunters that do wish to. Anyone that has done sales knows no matter how small or how insignificant the friction, it does have an effect. So, with this in mind, there has been and will be exclusivity for this particular property.

Comment

When you folks say qualifier, what does this entail?? If I remeber correctly, you could meet the "proficiency" requirement by shooting a certain score on an approved/senctioned 3D shoot. Our club is canceling all tournaments until further notice. Please school me on the qualifie.
                    Last edited by Pedernal; 07-01-2020, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
                      The “exclusivity” statement refers to additional requirements above and beyond the normal requirements for the average Joe to participate in drawn hunts and use the land he technically shares ownership in. The proficiency and bowhunter education (in addition to hunter education) represent friction and reduce the overall number of participants in previous drawings. During this pandemic with so few opportunities to take the field day requirement will also limit hunters that do wish to. Anyone that has done sales knows no matter how small or how insignificant the friction, it does have an effect. So, with this in mind, there has been and will be exclusivity for this particular property.
                      The guys that want to hunt it have had 20+ years to do bowhunter ed. It's not a new rule for Hagerman. No point in complaining now that covid is here. The guys that have hunted it often love the place, and don't want to see it screwed up for everyone by a few yahoos that have never stepped foot on the place or know how special it is. The BHE keeps the riff riff out.
                      Last edited by JustinJ; 07-01-2020, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                        When you folks say qualifier, what does this entail?? If I remeber correctly, you could meet the "proficiency" requirement by shooting a certain score on an approved/senctioned 3D shoot. Our club is canceling all tournaments until further notice. Please school me on the qualifie.
                        I've always done it at Bass Pro. If I remember correctly is 30 shots at 3 known distances or something like that. Quick and easy to do at many bow shops and big box stores.

Comment

In past years- Proficiency: Successful completion of a proficiency test, dated May 1, 20XX or later, with a score of 80% or more is required. The test must be taken on a standard archery testing course (10-8-5-0 scoring) with no target more than 30 yards and a minimum of 14 targets. A tournament scorecard, signed by a tournament range officer, will suffice as proof of proficiency.

It's not difficult (usually), but as JJ stated, kept the riff-raf out- mostly the PETA folks taking spots, or someone that went and bought a bow the day of the hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                            The guys that want to hunt it have had 20+ years to do bowhunter ed. It's not a new rule for Hagerman. No point in complaining now that covid is here. The guys that have hunted it often love the place, and don't want to see it screwed up for everyone by a few yahoos that have never stepped foot on the place or know how special it is. The BHE keeps the riff riff out.
                            The guys that want to hunt it are some previous users of the property, but there will be hundreds if not thousands of new applicants that get a shot with a $3 app now that it’s managed through TPWD. It is acceptable to complain if the state allows you to apply, but requires additional hoops to jump through, and then severely limits the ability to jump through those hoops. The BHE is a barrier to entry and the point I was making was that some like the exclusivity of it. I’m trying to help fellow hunters overcome that barrier find a work-around so they get an equal shot as well. The place will not be “screwed up”. If anything, there is more complaints from those that have hunted the place about it being turned over to TPWD than those complaining about the additional requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
                              If anything, there is more complaints from those that have hunted the place about it being turned over to TPWD than those complaining about the additional requirements.
                              That is my point, for those that have never endured the minor "additional requirements", have never applied, nor went through a weekend- always had their opportunity- but never took it.

Not much work, in fact a whole lot less to get qualified vs. the hunt itself.

Yes, I am a complainer, I, as many others have spent a lot of time on the H. I don't want someone walking around the Thursday b4 the hunt looking for a place to hang a stand because they hadn't paid a visit, nor a clue of what they are doing or going. That isn't what the H has been about.

Last post- I promise.

Comment

Working...
                              X