I need a bullet education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked up my Griffin Can (.30 Cal) last week and a couple muzzle devices so I can move it around.

One of the guns i would like to use it on is my .300BO pistol
    It's a Aero Precision 7.5" with a spikes lower that I picked up off here a while ago and honestly haven't even shot the thing yet but I should have some time to plink a few rounds this weekend. I've done a little research the last few days and want to make sure I don't use the "wrong" ammo. I haven't been able to find squat for ammo in stock right now so what I've got (a few boxes of each)

Rem UMC 220GR
    Rem UMC 120GR
    Rem Hog 130GR Barnes TSX

From what I gather the 220 will be the only subsonic of the bunch. I'm not all that worried about how quiet it is for the moment I just want to try it out but I want to make sure I don't damage my can the first time out.

With that short of a barrel will I have issues with either subs or supersonic?

From what i gather i should probably shoot a few round with the gun less the can to make sure it's not keyholing?

Help a silencer newbie out please.

Just go shoot. As long as the threads on the barrel were cut right then you wont have any problems. Oh and you don't cross thread the can/can adapter on the barrel. Can't say I've seen ammo selection cause baffle/can strikes.

Your 220s will not be impressive past 100 yards. Make sure you have an understanding of the ballistics of the rounds in conjunction with that short of a barrel and practice at distances you expect to shoot so you know what your ammo will do.

Have fun.

Comment

Cool thank you... The can strikes were what had me worried. It got in my head last night and couldn't shake it.

I'm working on my understanding of ballastics. I've gun hunted for 30 years but have never got past: this is my rifle, this is the caliber bullet it uses, I shoot it.... Have to start somewhere right?

Comment

Personally, I would want at least a 1:8 twist on a 300 blk barrel for shooting subs. I would definitely take a few shots without the can at some paper to confirm that your bullet holes are round.

Comment

The fun really starts when you have to work up your own recipe but with factory pills you should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by mako235 View Post
            Personally, I would want at least a 1:8 twist on a 300 blk barrel for shooting subs. I would definitely take a few shots without the can at some paper to confirm that your bullet holes are round.
            it's 1:8

Comment

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post
              Cool thank you... The can strikes were what had me worried. It got in my head last night and couldn't shake it.

I'm working on my understanding of ballastics. I've gun hunted for 30 years but have never got past: this is my rifle, this is the caliber bullet it uses, I shoot it.... Have to start somewhere right?
              Of course everyone has to start somewhere. When I purchased my first can I was mighty nervous taking that first shot despite the fact I had put thousands of rounds through other suppressors I was issued before. But this was bought and paid for with my own funds haha. "What if" right?

Comment

Heres how to start. I do a ton of 300 blk reloading and shoot everything subsonic. From 85gr to 240gr.
                Take you subs at 25 yard and shoot into paper at different spots WITHOUT the can on. Check the paper for perfect round holes not wobbly ones. If they are perfect holes then you should be ok to put can on and shoot. I usually test this to 50 or 100. but if 25 is good then its making out of the can straight.

If you reload for it let me know i have a ton of reloads for them as its one of my most fun guns to reload for and is cheap to reload for.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
                  Heres how to start. I do a ton of 300 blk reloading and shoot everything subsonic. From 85gr to 240gr.
                  Take you subs at 25 yard and shoot into paper at different spots WITHOUT the can on. Check the paper for perfect round holes not wobbly ones. If they are perfect holes then you should be ok to put can on and shoot. I usually test this to 50 or 100. but if 25 is good then its making out of the can straight.

If you reload for it let me know i have a ton of reloads for them as its one of my most fun guns to reload for and is cheap to reload for.

This is very good advice. Make sure your barrel is stabilizing the subsonics BEFORE shooting with the can on.

As to the ammo you have, the 220 UMC should only be used for head shots. It WILL NOT expand at all. The 120 UMC you have actually works decent on whitetail, pigs I would still head shoot as they can be a bit frangible. The 130 Barnes is going to provide very mixed results with body shots. They are designed to expand at 2000fps and above. A 300 SBR usually only has a muzzle velocity in the mid 2100 to low 2200 fps muzzle velocity.

Keep your eyes open for the Barnes 110 or 120 grain TAC-TX rounds. They have black tipped bullets rather than blue tips. Both were designed specifically for the 300 blackout and expand all the way down to 1500-1600fps. They are pricey and hard to find but they are without a doubt the best rounds for the 300 Blackout, especially an SBR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post

Good deal... I'll shoot it sans can first tomorrow to make sure I've got round holes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      This is very good advice. Make sure your barrel is stabilizing the subsonics BEFORE shooting with the can on.

As to the ammo you have, the 220 UMC should only be used for head shots. It WILL NOT expand at all. The 120 UMC you have actually works decent on whitetail, pigs I would still head shoot as they can be a bit frangible. The 130 Barnes is going to provide very mixed results with body shots. They are designed to expand at 2000fps and above. A 300 SBR usually only has a muzzle velocity in the mid 2100 to low 2200 fps muzzle velocity.

Keep your eyes open for the Barnes 110 or 120 grain TAC-TX rounds. They have black tipped bullets rather than blue tips. Both were designed specifically for the 300 blackout and expand all the way down to 1500-1600fps. They are pricey and hard to find but they are without a doubt the best rounds for the 300 Blackout, especially an SBR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'll keep an eye out the Barnes 110/120.... These first few boxes will be just to plink with and learn the weapon. I'm really not all that sure how much I'll hunt with this one but i'd like to know what's most efficient to do so with.

Thanks!

Comment

if you have a chronograph, Berger has a bullet stability calculator. It's at least a starting point if you know your bullet weight, velocity, and barrel twist you'll at least have an idea of whether or not it'll stabilize it.
                        The below Berger Twist Rate Stability Calculator allows you to identify what the optimal twist rate and the marginal twist rate is for any given bullet given your shooting conditions. This tool allows you to figure out which bullets will stabilize out of your rifle given your rifle's twist rate. This tool also helps

Comment

In that short of a barrel, with the suppressor on, you will probably be overgassed with supersonics. I recommend an adjustable gas block for .300 blkout if you will be jacking around with super/sub and suppressed/unsuppressed. Getting the gas just right makes a .300 blkout far more fun to shoot from a cycling/recoil perspective.

Comment

Ran a few of pretty everything I had through it this last weekend. Checked the bullet hole at 50 before I put the can on for each. You could certainly tell a sound difference. The supersonics fed and cycled fine for the most part but did eject funny...

Overall I'm thrilled with the first go around...

Comment

Working...
                            X