No announcement yet.

Youth hunts and school question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The youth hunts use to be on weekends. TPWD screwed it up to save money about 10 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
      Which hunt was that? I've never seen a youth hunt during the week unless it was Thanksgiving or over Christmas break.

Several of the gde hunts are Tuesday through Friday. Big bend, chaparral, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah i was looking with my daughter and there were a lot of weekday hunts that we saw this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When my boys were in school, they had occasional visits to Dr. Deer, Dr. Duck and sometimes... Dr. Goose.

Depending on the teacher (one who believes in the outdoors and one who might not)....the off to see the "Dr." could be a great reason to miss a day or 2.

Comment

The only ones during week that isn’t already a holiday is big bend and inks. Never seen them do that before. I know on a few hunts they have put notices that the dates were updated from what was originally posted so I don’t know if that is a screw up or on purpose. Maybe BBSP figured the kids would be out between thanksgiving and Christmas like some of the districts have been talking about. Not sure about Inks. They normally have youth on weekend.

Comment

Last year they accidentally scheduled a youth deer hunt the same weekend as an adult duck hunt. Camp area was loaded and they had trouble with the crowds. I asked aboot it and they said it was an accident/oversight, so I could see the same being true for weekday youth hunts.

Comment

Hunting/fishing trips were specifically listed as unexcused absences in my student handbook back in high school. When the time comes, don’t tell the school you’re going hunting... Tell them you’re taking your kid out for an important family matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastwood View Post
                  Several of the gde hunts are Tuesday through Friday. Big bend, chaparral, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  the Chap GDE may be but the youth hunt is during the Christmas break.

Originally posted by Mjjust View Post
                  The only ones during week that isn’t already a holiday is big bend and inks. Never seen them do that before. I know on a few hunts they have put notices that the dates were updated from what was originally posted so I don’t know if that is a screw up or on purpose. Maybe BBSP figured the kids would be out between thanksgiving and Christmas like some of the districts have been talking about. Not sure about Inks. They normally have youth on weekend.
                  inks is still during the Christmas break I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjjust View Post
                    Fairfield is during the week not during the holidays too, at least is was 2 and 3 years ago

Comment

Greetings from an old hunter,
                      My grandson is 9 and I want to take him out for the first time. Do I need to write a note to the principal? Or a letter to each teacher? My wife is going crazy when I'm telling her about it, she thinks he can't miss a single day at school. But I don't care, I must teach him at least the basics, while I'm still in a perfect condition (I don't think I can stop aging... ).

Comment

Originally posted by RandyBonnette View Post
                        Greetings from an old hunter,
                        My grandson is 9 and I want to take him out for the first time. Do I need to write a note to the principal? Or a letter to each teacher? My wife is going crazy when I'm telling her about it, she thinks he can't miss a single day at school. But I don't care, I must teach him at least the basics, while I'm still in a perfect condition (I don't think I can stop aging... ).
                        Welcome to the fire. Congrats on getting to hunt with your grandson. I can't wait for that next phase in my hunting career.

My wife had a friend that thought the same way. She was trying to get her kid to have perfect attendance. Not me, I'm taking them hunting unless you can show me the box to check on a job application that says "Perfect attendance in the 5th grade"

Comment

When my boy was in school, as long as I pulled him out after 10am, he wasn’t counted absent. It was always on a Friday to get a head start to the lease and we only hunted the weekends.
                          Best thing to do is just call the school and see how they require you pulling them out.

Comment

I'd tell them the family is going on a planned vacation and a "field trip" or outdoor experience where "the child gets to learn about the facts of nature and science via enrichment." There are many things that can not be taught in the class room. And can only be taught through "experiencing them". All instructors and teachers can prepare the child's work to be taken with them. After all, schools do outdoor "field trips" too, right? "Teaching through Experience".

Many of the things I have learned were not about just the hunt and killing, but about all the birds, critters, insects, reptiles, plants, geology, human influences, and many more colleges of substance, in the out doors. And how they all inter relate in an eco system. These things can be taught at any young age, no matter how young. It's how it's explained and experienced that matters. And the class room does not let the child truly "experience" much of it. Heck, the child might even get credit for science, geography, or history work when it's done, providing the teachers/instructors understand.
                            Last edited by Texas Grown; 09-07-2020, 08:23 AM.

Comment

My son has missed a few Friday's and/or the occasional Monday from school to go hunting or fishing. Didn't hurt his schooling one bit. He looks forward to it (so do I).

Comment

I've taken mine out to hunt other states and deer in Texas. They go to a Christian School and aren't even counted absent. Still have to make up work. Hunts after they graduate tend to be far and few between. If they have a teacher who knows what it's about, we'll tell them where are going. If not, we'll tell them they're going on a trip with me. We're required to notify the school in writing. On that form I just put family matter. I also have them talk to each teacher. I tell them it's their responsibility if they want to go. I only get involved with the teachers if it is a problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X