Solar for 150 sq ft Cabin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar for 150 sq ft Cabin?

We are going to convert a 10x50 shed into a hunting cabin. How easy is it to set up a solar system for just the lights and a couple plugs to charge phones? We will have to add an AC, but I think it will probably need to be run off of a generator. Would love to not need the generator when the weather is not hot. Is it possible to do fairly inexpensively?

Edit: I'm a typing idiot. 10x15. Coffee kicked in now.
    Last edited by Axe Man; 08-28-2018, 06:55 AM.

Isn't it L x W? 500square feet? Or the numbers wrong for the shed size
    Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 08-28-2018, 06:36 AM.

Comment

150 sq. ft.

Comment

With the little you are doing just need to take your 12v battery bank and times that by how many amp hours it is. So 12v x 7amp hours gives you 84watt hours. So a 10watt LED will run about 7-8 hours. Just need to do your math on total usage.
        You'll also need to take that total usage and take how much direct sun hours you get say 6 hours and you use 200watts that day Divided by 6 hours you'd get charging you'd need a 33watt solar.

It's just some simple math. I think they also say to only drain batteries down half.

The AC will be very hard as it's a huge draw up front on a AC converter. You'd need alot of solar and wouldn't be cheap.
        Medium ac is 900watts x 5 hours at night. Would need 750watts of solar just for that
        Last edited by scott.str; 08-28-2018, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Axe Man View Post
          150 sq. ft.
          No, 500 sq ft.. 10x15 would be 150 sq ft. Edit: Didn't read original OP

Comment

It's early

Comment

10x15! No coffee yet!

Comment

It's not too late to add another 35' onto the cabin just to prove some of these responses wrong!![emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Touche!

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                  It's not too late to add another 35' onto the cabin just to prove some of these responses wrong!![emoji2]

Comment

So far I have really found out that solar is fairly confusing and there is a lot to learn. I'll probably start small with a beginner kit and work up from there as I learn the ropes.

Comment

Last I heard its about a dollar a watt ,system size will depend on your needs. I'd go 12 v around 1000 watts to start. Check out this guys system . Good channel too-
                      After a generator failure, I decided the time has come for a big solar upgrade for the cabin before winter. The old solar system I had in place was just not ...
                      Last edited by HoustonR6ryda; 08-30-2018, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Tagging for my cabin.

Comment

Here are the basics I have discovered so far for a simple system.

What you need:

Solar Panel - Plan to start with a 100W and work up from there

Charge Controller - this goes from panel to battery to charge battery

Inverter- connected to battery to make usable power

Again, this is the super basics and I am going to research benefits of buying a starter kit or building it piece by piece myself. I think it will cost more to build it myself, but quality could be much better.

If anyone has some recommendations, I'm all ears.

Comment

See the info I shared in the thread.

I have done exactly what you are looking to do.

Also buying a Honda 2000i is a great Idea.

It will run a 8,000 BTU AC and is easily transportable.
                            Last edited by ballgame; 08-31-2018, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                              See the info I shared in the thread.

I have done exactly what you are looking to do.

Also buying a Honda 2000i is a great Idea.

It will run a 8,000 BTU AC and is easily transportable.

Excellent! Thanks for more info!

Comment

Working...
                              X