Advice on boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
    I echo trying to find a bigger boat. Otherwise you will be waiting for calm days to fish and they are few and far between on texoma. Are you set on a glass boat? $6k is a decent budget but will need to be picky unless you have another couple grand to repair and upgrade it.
    Not set on glass more so best bang for the buck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

What's your experience level as a boater?

Comment

Originally posted by LonestarGent View Post
        I was wondering if they were better than Mercury. I know mercury had a rough time for a while but they came out of it and started producing quality motors again. My company hired their COO a few months ago.

You know what they say about mercs....

Once you go black, you cant get back

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
          What's your experience level as a boater?
          This would be my first boat. My dad bought a 24' pontoon when I was young that we spent many hrs on at Texoma and I started taking it out myself when I was about 16. Spent lots of hrs on a buddy's bass boat and another buddy's supercharged jet skis. Overall I've been on and around water crafts a lot but never had to maintain one.

Comment

I would suggest hiring a guide a few times. This will allow you to get a feel and performance of different boats. Plus, hiring a guide is usually a hell of a lot less expensive than owning a boat.

Comment

Don’t go w/ 60 horse anything. Back in the early 80’s I bought a new 18 ft. Cajun Bass boat w/ 70 horse Evenrude. It was always under powered no mater the weather conditions. Took it out on Texoma, wife was with me and 71/2 months PG. One of those out of nowhere storms famous for Texoma came in fast. I mean really fast. I did a lot of praying and managed to get back to the ramp. Thank God GW was there to help get the boat on the trailer. Would not wish that experience on my worst enemy. Still can’t remember how we made it to shore, but I remember 4-6 foot waves crashing the bow and the whine of the motor as it left the water. I will never be under powered ever again. Pay head, 115 at the least on a 17 ft boat, 150 on a 18 footer. You will thank me. Keep looking.

Comment

Originally posted by lonestargent View Post
                next thread topic... Who has a boat and needs 2 friends?

Sent from my sm-g950u using tapatalk
                fify

Comment

those key wests are good budget boats. thats what i was looking for when i found mine but.....thats pretty high $$ for a 97 key west with a 2 stroke. i think you can find a better deal . newer boat for the money

blue wave is great but under powered. i wish i wated for a bigger motor for mine but i got a smoking deal....none of those are great deals...keep looking. you can get a better boat in that price range
                  Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 02-20-2019, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Also, especially on an older boat, do not consider a painted trailer. Galvanized or aluminum only. Even in fresh water they rust from the inside out. Spending 5-6k on a boat, motor and trailer and finding out you need to buy a new trailer for 2-3k is a buzz kill.

Comment

Save till you can afford at least a 19' rig on Texoma is my advice and get a galvanized or aluminum trailer up there. Salts gonna eat up a painted trailer over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

With my experience. Once a boat motor has problems. It’ll always be a problem. So I’d steer clear of any motor with any issues. And always ask to take it for a test drive. If they don’t agree with it either they don’t wanna sell it bad enough or there’s issues. Dont waste your time with that. And since you’re buying used make sure you have the new owner packet from tpwd that both the seller and buyer had to sign. I learned the hard way on that

Comment

I went w a 23' toon and 140 hp 4 stroke. Had several 18' toons w 50 and 60 2 strokes. No more. Way underpowered.

Mine was pricey, but wouldn't hardly take for it now. Caught tons of fish from it since buying new in '16. And it'll run bout 30mph.

Plus 10 yo junk toons were bringing/asking $10k+.

I'm on Texoma ALL SUMMER (live 10 min from ramp). Camp at Juniper every weekend or every other. Most times I cant get anyone up early enough, so I go alone.

Shoot me a PM. Crappie be ON pretty soon!

And surfacing Stripers and Sandies galore!

Comment

And another thought is electronics. You going to have to have something they get really pricey in a hurry,so does a trolling motor. And you can never have to much trolling motor.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                              Spend a few bucks up front and have a reputable marine mechanic do a survey and compression test on the motor.

I would also do a test ride on the water. Fill the live wells, bring a couple of buddies. You want some weight in the boat to make sure it gets up on pad with ease. A boat that struggles to get on pad is a royal PITA.

First thing I would budget is having the impeller replaced, possibly water pump and lower unit oil changed. That way you have a reference for future routine maintenance.
                              Solid advice. Dont do the test run in ocean cream conditions either. Make sure there is some chop. Full livewells coolers, full fishing load.

Bever buy underpowered.

Get the mechanics to opinion on the trailer and boat also since you have never owned a boat.

Comment

Boat
                                Bust
                                Out
                                Another
                                Thousand

Comment

Working...
                                X