Heavy Arrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy Arrows

So I've been checking out the Ranch Fairy on YouTube. If you haven't heard of him, you should check him out. He's out of Austin.

He's all about heavy arrows, and better penetration.

I've also been looking at the Dr. Ashby studies, and admittedly nerding out over the subject.

I drank the Koolade. I'm in the process of building my "adult" arrows.
    I'm building Carbon Express Maxima Red SD's, in 340 spine. With 200 grain Ethics Archery inserts and going to use my 125 grain broad heads, so I don't have to spend more money on new ones, yet. This gives me a point weight of 325 grains, and a total arrow weight of around 630 grains. FOC of about 26%.

I have paper tuned and verified spine at this point weight. Bullet hole at 6 feet and 12 feet. Chrono is at an average of 232 FPS.

I must say, I'm a bit excited to try these behemoths out.

My bow is noticeably quieter. I shoot a Mathews Vertix. Yes I can notice a difference.

Thoughts?

For me I believe it all depends on what you're hunting. If you're huntin whitetail in Texas, a super heavy arrow is overrated. Especially like the central Texas whitetail they are super skittish, and move really fast. I have had one duck my heavier arrow (550 grain Victory Xtosion)(~250 fps) at 35 yards. For that speed is very important. With a 420 grain Victory VAP (295fps) I blew through a white tail doe and the arrow went another 10 yards after hitting. The heavier that arrow is the slower it goes, the more time they have to react. If I were hunting big game like elk or bison I would definitely use a very heavy arrow though.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by antiparadigm; 12-31-2019, 01:39 PM.

Comment

I had the ethics archery spinning inserts in my victory extortion arrows, and they got bent up really quick and wouldn't spin. The inserts were 125 grains each. I took them out and put the factory stainless inserts in that weigh 60 grains, and my groups closed up nicely. Maybe I got a bad batch, but I am not a fan of their inserts thus far.

Comment

I like it! Very similar spec wise to what I’m running this year.

.250 Black Eagle X-Impacts
        200gr Iron Will solids
        180gr Ethics Archery outserts

Total arrow weight = 670grs w27% FOC

Super quiet and haven’t had a string jumper yet.

Comment

troy is basing all his information from Dr. Ashby.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpyfoot View Post
            So I've been checking out the Ranch Fairy on YouTube. If you haven't heard of him, you should check him out. He's out of Austin.

He's all about heavy arrows, and better penetration.

I've also been looking at the Dr. Ashby studies, and admittedly nerding out over the subject.

I drank the Koolade. I'm in the process of building my "adult" arrows.

I'm building Carbon Express Maxima Red SD's, in 340 spine. With 200 grain Ethics Archery inserts and going to use my 125 grain broad heads, so I don't have to spend more money on new ones, yet. This gives me a point weight of 325 grains, and a total arrow weight of around 630 grains. FOC of about 26%.

I have paper tuned and verified spine at this point weight. Bullet hole at 6 feet and 12 feet. Chrono is at an average of 232 FPS.

I must say, I'm a bit excited to try these behemoths out.

My bow is noticeably quieter. I shoot a Mathews Vertix. Yes I can notice a difference.

Thoughts?

Those sound awesome!! Need carnage pics when you smack something with them. What bow are your shooting these out of?? I was playing around with some I built for my Creed Xs 576gr at 231fps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry didn’t see you had the bow in the post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ranch fairy is a member on TBH also, I don't think he posts much though. He helped me build my 592 grain black eagle renegades with Magnus broadheads. He's very animated in his videos and keeps it simple and interesting. He does reference Dr Ashby in some of his videos. I mostly pig hunt with my bow, so I wanted something with a little more punch, since I wasn't getting much penetration on the bigger ones with my 400 grain arrows. You can hear a big difference when a heavy arrow hits the target. Shot placement is the main factor, but I think a heavy arrow helps out on marginal shots.

Comment

I hunt hogs a lot, and as Troy says, if it’ll kill a hog, deer is a chip shot. I had heard of Dr. Ashby before discovering the Ranch Fairy, but he did peak my interest.

I nock tuned my arrows tonight, and it sounds like a hammer hitting the target. I love it!

I do like how informative Troy is, and I think he does it well.

If a deer can jump an arrow going 200 FPS at 20 yards, he deserves to walk.
                  Last edited by Grumpyfoot; 12-31-2019, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Oh, and pics are definitely coming.

Comment

How much is your draw weight on your bow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just went back and checked, my previous arrows were 425 grains, not 400. I lost 35 fps. The main thing I noticed was that my arrows dropped a lot more now. I used to be pretty comfortable shooting out to 40 yards, but now I don't have a pin past 30.

Comment

My draw weight is 65 lbs. I clan shoot 70 but 65 is just comfortable. I’m sure I can set my pins out to 50. I have an Ascent 3 pin sight that has a slider.

Comment

I am going on an elk hunt in 2021. I believe this arrow will be great for that, and might as well start getting used to it.

The beauty is if it doesn’t work for me I can always change things up.

That said, I’m really liking it so far, and haven’t really done anything yet.

I Love this s**t.

Comment

Those iron will are beasts. I am going to move to some grizzly stick heads soon. Give them a try too.

Comment

Working...
                              X