DIY Archery shooting lane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Archery shooting lane

I am thinking about building a single lane archery range in my back yard.. I live on just over an acre and I want it to look nice. If y’all have built one, would you mind sharing some pics?

Bobby
    Last edited by BobbyOrtiz; 01-27-2020, 10:22 AM.

3D targets and a good backstop is nice.

Comment

A guy at work built one and hung horse stall mats from Tractor Supply for the backstop...for what its worth.

Comment

You might consider building a "lifetime target". I built this one 8 years ago - it sits out in the weather and it is still holding up well. About once a year I rearrange/repack the innards and replace the carpet face.

The frame is 2x10's, the dimensions are 30"x36". I used plastic poultry netting to hold in the stuffing which consisted off:
        * The guts from a shot-out bag target I had laying around
        * lots of old clothes
        * wadded-up pallet wrap
        * The foam from a couple of old couch cushions broken up into chunks.

I ran some wire between the two pieces of poultry netting front to back in a few places to keep it from bulging. The face (both sides) is indoor/outdoor carpet secured by 1x2s. The only downside is that it is really heavy. I thought about adding wheels but once in place I had no reason to move it. It also serves as a good backstop for 3d animals

Click image for larger version

Name:	target1 (1).jpg
Views:	8
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	24605650

Click image for larger version

Name:	target2 (1).jpg
Views:	11
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	24605651

Comment

My buddy did this at his new house. Went from the covered patio out 10 feet wide and 80 yards deep. Staggered some 3-D targets out from 20 yards on. Cut out the sod, lined it with railroad ties, filled with gravel. Can shoot all year, never get wet or snowed on, and not track mud back into the house.

Comment

Horse stall mats are great for backstops- If you have neighbors I would also put up safety stops. A lot of indoor pistol ranges have them. every so many yards or feet they have a bullet deflector that is angled to put them towards the ground. I say this because every year I read a lot of threads on here about an arrow getting away. Failure in releases, punch release, all kinds of things happen where arrows end up going where they shouldn't be. Just a matter of time before it ends in tragedy.

Comment

Can go out to 50 yds if I wanted. Stay mostly 30 or less.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thank all of you for your input.. when I get this built I’ll add some photos. @ Jerp, I like the build, thanks for sharing. Glenn, great idea especially because I have a lot of neighbor kids shooting out there.

Comment

Working...
                X