Arrow Spine Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow Spine Help

This is more of a "what would you do" scenario.

I bought a Triax couple years ago and grabbed some new arrows with it. The shop set me up with Axis 5mm 340's. They shot well and I have killed several critters with them.

Fast forward to today, I'm looking at the Easton Spine Selection Chart and it seems I am under spined. My current bow is 29.5" draw shooting 30" shafts at 72# according to the shop scale. Only reason i looked at the chart was to check how "centered" i was on the manufacturers chart to see if i could add weight up front and get away with using the current shafts or get new arrows to experiment with. According to the chart, a 28" arrow is about the max length a 340 should be shot at 72 pounds.

Now, I have not noticed any ill-effects when shooting and can group them pretty well. But is there any danger to the bow limbs or my hand for that matter because of a 2" difference on the spine chart?

Also, if/when i go ahead and want to experiment with weights and such, should I get the 300 spine or advance to the 260?

Your thoughts?

You should be fine. The spine will not affect your limbs. The minimum weight an arrow should be to shoot safely is 5 grains per pound.
    Now if you want to go heavy up front you will need a .300 or .260. 50 grain insert in a .300 should spine okay. You will need to run the numbers through an archery program to be sure. If you are trying to build a higher FOC arrow, there are Lower weight GPI arrows than the axis. Look at BE carnivores or Rampage. I do like the Easton axis as well, but you start to get really heavy fast.

Comment

Why are your arrows so long? That would stiffen them a bunch. You can shoot 28” at that draw length easily and have end of carbon about the Berger hole
      Last edited by Low Fence; 01-22-2020, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
        Why are your arrows so long? That would stiffen them a bunch. You can shoot 28” at that draw length easily and have end of carbon about the Berger hole
        My draw is 29.5". A 30" arrow from valley of the nock to end of shaft puts the tip of broadhead just in front of my riser. I never cared for them to be real short and sit right over the riser just to make 100% that i have clearance with fixed heads.

Comment

A 300 spine will be a better fit based off your current setup and arrow length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
            A 300 spine will be a better fit based off your current setup and arrow length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            this ^^^^^^

Comment

Working...
            X