Tractor Draft Control Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tractor Draft Control Help

I am currently plowing some land to sprig in coastal later this spring. I am having some trouble getting the draft control set right for the plow. I have read the tractor owner's manual and have moved the top link into the top hole where it connects to the tractor. The way I read the manual both the position lever and draft lever should be raised all the way. The position lever is lowered to set the depth of the plow and the draft lever is than lowered to set the draft up the plow can run. By doing this the position lever should be set deeper than the draft lever. Am I thinking about this correctly? I tried this sequence and it didn't work. When both levers are raised and I lower the position lever the plow stays raised. It isn't until I lower the draft lever the plow lowers. Maybe I am doing the steps wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

I just smash the levers down and let the plow eat.

Comment

The draft lever should be set almost all the way down. Its purpose is to raise the plow if the load gets to heavy and the rear tires start to slip. If you have it set two far down then it won't work right or if it is two far up then your plow wont go into the ground. Try to put your draft leaver all the way down and then back off about a inch or so and see how it works. When you are plowing you may have to adjust the draft leaver up or down to a level that will work best for your conditions. Just remember
      if you raise the draft lever up two much your plow will not stay in the ground

Comment

Evidently there are two schools of thought regarding plowing...

Comment

plow

Originally posted by clay4626 View Post
          The draft lever should be set almost all the way down. Its purpose is to raise the plow if the load gets to heavy and the rear tires start to slip. If you have it set two far down then it won't work right or if it is two far up then your plow wont go into the ground. Try to put your draft leaver all the way down and then back off about a inch or so and see how it works. When you are plowing you may have to adjust the draft leaver up or down to a level that will work best for your conditions. Just remember
          if you raise the draft lever up two much your plow will not stay in the ground
          this is it.....changing draft control lever position just alters the amount of strain on the plow should you hit something or dig too deep...so that the control will raise the plow to protect the machine components.
          you still will need to raise or lower the plow to get your depth of cut as needed

Comment

Are you talking about a plow or disc?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
              Evidently there are two schools of thought regarding plowing...
              Yes do you have enough HP and weight to break something or not....

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                Are you talking about a plow or disc?
                (Plow) draft control has nothing to do with anything hooked to the draw bar of the tractor. It works with any thing that is connected to the 3 point hitch on the tractor

Comment

Originally posted by clay4626 View Post
                  (Plow) draft control has nothing to do with anything hooked to the draw bar of the tractor. It works with any thing that is connected to the 3 point hitch on the tractor
                  I understand Drafting. Our tractor has 2 levers to control this. To fine tune what your wanting to do and to level sometimes you have adjust the top link.

Comment

I am referring to a 3 bottom moldboard. I will try setting the draft lever all the way down than backing off as needed. Should the position lever be all the way down also or set at the correct depth? If I set it too deep it will stop the tractor. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Set your position to where you think you’ll be good for the majority of your first pass. Then play with your draft until it will keep going when it really loads up on the tractor. Basically if you keep spinning the tires, pull your draft up(or down depending on what tractor you have). It can load up but it should pull through the majority of your hard spots by your draft pulling your plow up a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think this is how I will have to do it. Guess I'm still alittle confused on what the position lever is doing if you lower the implement using the draft lever. In my mind the position lever should lower the implement and the draft lever should set the allowable draft up. Obviously I'm wrong in my thinking.

Comment

I’ve always thought of the draft lever as like a bottom stop. It’s position determined the maximum depth the plow can go. Use the other lever just to quickly raise and lower, like when turning, and when you lower back down it will go back to where the draft lever is set, not all the way to the bottom.

Comment

That’s why if you have the draft lever all the way up, the 3-point wont lower with the other position lever.

Drop them both all the way, then raise your draft lever to where your tractor is comfy plowing. Then it stays there and your position lever is used to raise and lower, with its only 2 positions being either all the way up or all the way down.

Comment

Lots of good info, draft is lower then position lever

Comment

Working...
                              X