No announcement yet.

Terrell County Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was out this past Thursday thru Sunday. Wind blew like the dickens from one direction one day and changed and blew like heck from the other direction the next day. It was warm, then cold, then back to warm. Despite all that, we saw a lot of movement. More so on the cold days than the warm ones. Me and the wife killed two hogs, two javi's and she shot a nice 8.

I'm headed back Thursday after lunch to finish out the season.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
      I was out this past Thursday thru Sunday. Wind blew like the dickens from one direction one day and changed and blew like heck from the other direction the next day. It was warm, then cold, then back to warm. Despite all that, we saw a lot of movement. More so on the cold days than the warm ones. Me and the wife killed two hogs, two javi's and she shot a nice 8.

I'm headed back Thursday after lunch to finish out the season.
      Congrats to you and your wife on the kills, Sabre! Im heading out Friday night to hunt Saturday and Sunday morning. That will be the last hunt of the season for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Kidd View Post
        Congrats to you and your wife on the kills, Sabre! Im heading out Friday night to hunt Saturday and Sunday morning. That will be the last hunt of the season for me.
        Thanks! Good luck to you! This is my last shot at it so I gotta make it happen. I've seen some good bucks, but always waiting for the bigger ones that I've seen earlier in the year. I had a good chance at a big 8 the 3rd weekend, but waited too long to make my decision. I won't let that happen again.

Comment

Finally got it done this past Thursday evening. I was watching a nice 8 when he started looking back up the canyon and sure enough this guy walked out. I thought he was a 9 at first, but when I saw that 10th point, I hung the 6.5 Swede out the window.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0713.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	24604255

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	24604256

Then, Friday afternoon I got a little redemption on the feral barbado sheep that I missed back in April. I found them coming out of a canyon as I drove up to top to have an afternoon sit. I had the 6.5 PRC with me this time and they stopped at 272 yards. I sent a 130 gr. Accubond at them and heard the bullet hit the dark one. they took off and made it about 30 yards when the dark ram stumbled, fell and rolled down the hill. I swung on the lighter colored one and didn't make quite as good a shot, but he still went down regardless.

[ATTACH][ATTACH]

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
          Attached Files

Comment

Congratulations Sabre, that’s a heck of a nice trans pecos whitetail. That Swede is a killer!

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
              Congratulations Sabre, that’s a heck of a nice trans pecos whitetail. That Swede is a killer!
              Thanks! I really like the Swede! That Barrett is probably my favorite rifle.

Comment

How’s 2020 shaping up out West for y’all? Any good game cam pics yet???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Where going in about 2 weeks to fill feeders south of Dryden. Looks like a fairly good year for rain, so my hopes are up.

Comment

Got 17 cams set up last week. Will be back August 7th to check them. Country looked good bunch of fawns on the ground.

Comment

We went last weekend in May. Filled feeder with 80% roasted soybeans. Anxious to get back to see what’s been growing. Probably won’t get back out until late August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm anxious to get out there myself. Lease mates were out there about a month ago feeding. They said they saw a ton of deer and everything looked healthy. Also said that several blinds were blown over, including a new one that got blown off the canyon rim and was sent flying down the hill for 50 yards. It was destroyed. Mine got blown over as well. I was certain it was tied down well, but obviously not good enough.

I've got a cell camera at my set up, but it doesn't get a signal and can't send pics. I'll bet there are closer to 3000 pics on it by now. I'll bring it home when I get a chance.

I gotta wait for my wife to finish EMT school before we can get out there. Hopefully is about 3 weeks she'll be done.

Comment

Need advise on deer quality and quantity off FM 1823 12 miles north of 90 and about a mile north of the intersection with Chriesman rd. What is the quality of Mule Deer in the area? Whitetail? any other game to hunt. Is there a lot of hunting pressure??

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
                            Need advise on deer quality and quantity off FM 1823 12 miles north of 90 and about a mile north of the intersection with Chriesman rd. What is the quality of Mule Deer in the area? Whitetail? any other game to hunt. Is there a lot of hunting pressure??
                            Can’t tell you anything about that specific area, it’s not near where I hunt. It depends on how large a tract of land your hunting, if it’s a place that’s been broken up in 200/500 acre sections, it won’t be as good as a larger place. Maybe not good at all. The muledeer like the places with hills and canyons, if it’s flat sage brush country it’ll be mostly whitetails. Hope this helps, and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
                              I'm not sure where 1823 is. I hunt north of Pumpville about 20 miles and take 1865 past Chreisman Road every time I go. My father used to hunt the Chreisman Ranch back in the late 70's. I've seen some mule deer, but all of the bucks have been pretty young and small. I have yet to see any big bucks. I'm not saying they aren't there, just that I haven't seen them. My father says they didn't have any mule deer on the Chreisman Ranch when he hunted there. There's a FB page for Terrell County hunting and one of the members hunts across the road from the Devils River Ranch. You might look that group up and message one of them. He posts a lot of pictures from his trail cameras.

Comment

I don't hunt the area but work in the area. My observations are that mule deer are slowly spreading both east and north. I have seen some bigger mule deer bucks these last couple of years in areas where you would occasionally spot a mule deer. Additionally, I have seen a few mule deer in areas that I have never seem mule deer before. When I say further north and east I am referring to the val verde/terrel county line at the rio grande.

Best of luck to you fellas hunting this magnificent country. If at all possible, get some water stations out for the herds as its been a blistering hot and dry summer season.

Comment

Working...
                                X