Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it that if you don’t hunt public land...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
    Who can afford 150k on a guide? Or tags? A select few, that's why I say its private. Public should be equally shared opportunities, not out priced by the state.
    Same animals can be shot with drawn tags and there are people who put the time in (or just get lucky/right place at right time) and will shoot the same quality animals...sometimes the ones those big spender guys are actually after before they can get to them.

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
      Same animals can be shot with drawn tags and there are people who put the time in (or just get lucky/right place at right time) and will shoot the same quality animals...sometimes the ones those big spender guys are actually after before they can get to them.
      Yep, most (not all) of the units that folks pay big cash to have guided hunts in are open to DIY guys as well.

Comment

So outfitters put in for public tags for free and turn around and sell them to the highest bidder?

Comment

I hauled horses with my buddies (2 of them are real cowboys)(I am not a real cowboy can rope off a running horse and not get hurt!anyways, we hauled flatland horses from the RGV to the National forest to ride up the mountain on DIY Elk hunts, I have a 5X5 bull on the wall from one of those trips. Its one of my favorite memories, I tend to agree that its more satisfying when successful, it is different hunting with so much orange clothed hunters all around, we rode to get away from most of them. This was a long time ago, getting older, no wiser

Comment

So outfitters put in for public tags for free and turn around and sell them to the highest bidder?
            No, almost every western state has a tag auction, including Texas. Texas has a Big horn tag auction. You are allowed to bid on public land tags.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
              No, almost every western state has a tag auction, including Texas. Texas has a Big horn tag auction. You are allowed to bid on public land tags.
              Oh ok. So to get a tag, you will need to out bid the outfitters and the gen public that bids on said tickets?

Comment

Oh ok. So to get a tag, you will need to out bid the outfitters and the gen public that bids on said tickets?
                For the rare tags that go to auction. I could be wrong but I'm not aware of any tags that are auction only and not available for general draw except for governors tags which are a special deal for conservation fund raising and routinely go for tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Comment

Yes, but they are public land tags, they don’t grant private access. outfitters aren’t going to bid on them. We also talking a hundred plus tags across the states.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                    For the rare tags that go to auction. I could be wrong but I'm not aware of any tags that are auction only and not available for general draw except for governors tags which are a special deal for conservation fund raising and routinely go for tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars.
                    Not always a Texas specific BH draw tag but always an auction tag

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                      Some states usually have 1 of those tags auctioned and one that is raffled. A few will be dedicated to auction, more dedicated to a raffle...then remainder go into the public draw.

Comment

Western hunting expo in SLC gets a huge turnout bc of those raffles and there are always a few familiar names when they post the winners

Comment

Originally posted by SharpStix View Post
                          I see where you're headed, I've felt the same although I usually see it on another archery forum. Over there it's usually the guys who can't supplemental feed their deer herd complaining that the guys who can (hunt a feeder) aren't really hunting. Usually goes something like this, "I set my treestand up over this cut corn field and I'm hunting, you're not hunting because you're hunting over a feeder that throws corn".

On this site it seems a similar tone arises when someone shoots something at a high fence place.

I just like hunting.

Yep!
                          I like a challenge and like to bow hunting!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Western hunting expo in SLC gets a huge turnout bc of those raffles and there are always a few familiar names when they post the winners
                            Will you buy me an Antelope Island Mulie Tag? I’ll be your best friend

Comment

I have hunted exclusively public land for 6 years, because I don’t have the money for private. It’s **** hard, which how I like to hunt. Doesn’t make it any better than what the private land guys do.

There’s a lot of tactics in feeder or food plot setups people don’t give credit to. Hell, I’m slowly starting to get some private land added to my repertoire with a small piece of family land I’m going to try some food plots on.

I think that most public land hunters, speaking as one myself, would jump at the chance of having a private farm to hunt on of the finances magically made it possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                                There are just a whole lot of unhappy people in general. You see it here on TBH quite often. Folks aren't "happy" unless they're insulting someone, contradicting someone, or just being an ******* to someone. They need people to agree with them, to be like them and to think like them, because if people are different then they're faced with the dilemma of "am I the wrong one" and they just don't have the ability to face that possibility. Plus....most people suck, so there is that.
                                No they don’t!

Haha haha! This!

Comment

Working...
                                X