Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it that if you don’t hunt public land...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
    You have the access. You can go out to NF or BLM right now, because it belongs to the people of the nation.

You just can't kill an animal on it without following the state rules for doing so because those belong to the people of that particular state
    And you can’t kill an animal on federal land without permission from the federal government either.

You can have a deer tag in your pocket issued by the state. You have to have the landowners permission to access property SPECIFICALLY for the purpose of hunting.

The Feds could literally say, no more hunting access until you issue tags the way we want.

Comment

Sure they could, they could also say no more hunting on federal lands at all, but why would the do either of those things? The system is far from perfect but it works better than just about any other government program has.

So long as the states are fulfilling their mandate to manage the state's game then you'd have a pretty difficult sell to get the feds to try to change the rules to benefit nonresidents the same as residents.

There are definitely problems that need to be fixed but taking away that nonresident cash from state game agencies sure ain't gonna fix anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
        There are definitely problems that need to be fixed but taking away that nonresident cash from state game agencies sure ain't gonna fix anything.

Wrong. The states would make more money off of a general draw. Nobody said that they couldn’t continue to charge a premium for non-resident tags. The issue isn’t the cost. The issue is the access to tags.

And that is just the additional money that the state wildlife agencies would make. That doesn’t include the economic boost to each state from having increased out of state dollars coming in.

The pure economics of going to a “all in one pool” draw would be a major boost to any state that made the change.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
          I think this thread is becoming more enlightening !
          Ain’t that the truth

Comment

Ive killed WAY More cool **** on public the last 5 years than private lol Im horrible at whitetail hunting in Texas. .

Comment

The fact that there are still great animals to kill on fed lands makes me think the system is working just fine. But I’m no expert on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Smell the Glove View Post
                The fact that there are still great animals to kill on fed lands makes me think the system is working just fine. But I’m no expert on it.
                Federal land or fed / supplemental feed land

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                  Public land hunters complain you’re a no hunting idiot, but most public land hunters also complain about the no hunting idiots on public land?

Should the public land hunters be better?

Has anyone drawn this flow chart?
                  They walk among us, private & public. A search through TBH archives will show that many lessees think some of their fellow members are idiots, too. They’re part of the public, after all . A flow chart would have arrows pointing in every direction.

As for my opinion on the public land hunter, and the private land (I will assume private land=lessee) hunter...

I think your typical lesser-skilled hunter on private lands is that way because he grew up hunting with a limited model/formula, or was at least introduced to hunting with a weak strategy. Throw a feeder up, throw a stand up, count on the luck of the rut, and complain about acorns or fall green-up when the deer “don’t come out” or “have gone nocturnal” (which I think is often a misapplied explanation for not seeing deer given the science behind their known behavior; but I digress). This is how I started out my hunting career 20 years ago. And I do think lease rules can make it very difficult to adapt to deer patterns and hunt them where they are.

For the typical lesser-skilled public land hunter, I think it’s almost always somebody who is new to hunting altogether, or is new to hunting public land. Rarely do you see a seasoned public land hunter stumbling around the woods during prime time, setting up on top of other folks, trying to stalk a deer in a bone dry slough full of oak leaves , whereas there’s a good chance that a guy that’s only hunted from a box blind staring at a feeder for 30 years, is probably going to struggle if he sets out on public land with unsharpened skills (not suggesting he is a moron, but there’s obviously so much more that is hard to learn unless you’re putting dozens of scouting miles in to better understand why your local deer are doing what they’re doing, when that is going to change again, and where they’re likely to be next.). Again, this is predicated on the private hunter that is sharing a lease; a private landowner/hunter obviously has the opportunity to scout anywhere and adjust to deer movements like the public hunter does.

Extra: I primarily hunt public land for the same reasons I bow hunt: The challenge, and subsequent sense of accomplishment when successful. I also like to gun hunt. But I don’t think most public land hunters throw shade on private hunters as you’re suggesting. Some, yeah. Loud minority’s/silent majority. But I happily take the thread bait, as I love hunting public land and love how most people don’t!

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                    Federal land or fed / supplemental feed land
                    I’m a newb. What do you mean by that?

Comment

The more money I make the further I get away from hunting public land and the better quality animals I kill.

I was a much better hunter 20 years ago when I was broke and fighting for that spot on public land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                        The more money I make the further I get away from hunting public land and the better quality animals I kill.

I was a much better hunter 20 years ago when I was broke and fighting for that spot on public land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        You are correct in your statements.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsman View Post
                          They walk among us, private & public. A search through TBH archives will show that many lessees think some of their fellow members are idiots, too. They’re part of the public, after all . A flow chart would have arrows pointing in every direction.

As for my opinion on the public land hunter, and the private land (I will assume private land=lessee) hunter...

I think your typical lesser-skilled hunter on private lands is that way because he grew up hunting with a limited model/formula, or was at least introduced to hunting with a weak strategy. Throw a feeder up, throw a stand up, count on the luck of the rut, and complain about acorns or fall green-up when the deer “don’t come out” or “have gone nocturnal” (which I think is often a misapplied explanation for not seeing deer given the science behind their known behavior; but I digress). This is how I started out my hunting career 20 years ago. And I do think lease rules can make it very difficult to adapt to deer patterns and hunt them where they are.

For the typical lesser-skilled public land hunter, I think it’s almost always somebody who is new to hunting altogether, or is new to hunting public land. Rarely do you see a seasoned public land hunter stumbling around the woods during prime time, setting up on top of other folks, trying to stalk a deer in a bone dry slough full of oak leaves , whereas there’s a good chance that a guy that’s only hunted from a box blind staring at a feeder for 30 years, is probably going to struggle if he sets out on public land with unsharpened skills (not suggesting he is a moron, but there’s obviously so much more that is hard to learn unless you’re putting dozens of scouting miles in to better understand why your local deer are doing what they’re doing, when that is going to change again, and where they’re likely to be next.). Again, this is predicated on the private hunter that is sharing a lease; a private landowner/hunter obviously has the opportunity to scout anywhere and adjust to deer movements like the public hunter does.

Extra: I primarily hunt public land for the same reasons I bow hunt: The challenge, and subsequent sense of accomplishment when successful. I also like to gun hunt. But I don’t think most public land hunters throw shade on private hunters as you’re suggesting. Some, yeah. Loud minority’s/silent majority. But I happily take the thread bait, as I love hunting public land and love how most people don’t!
                          Well put

Comment

Originally posted by Txtourist View Post
                            We’re all idiots I guess. Let’s face it, there’s not a lot of logic to hunting, but I sure enjoy it as much as the next idiot regardless of land ownership. Judging others is like going to a buffet to boost my self image. Look at all those losers enjoying the same things as me.
                            Im an idiot but the guy next to me is usually a bigger idiot

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
                              Wrong. The states would make more money off of a general draw. Nobody said that they couldn’t continue to charge a premium for non-resident tags. The issue isn’t the cost. The issue is the access to tags.

And that is just the additional money that the state wildlife agencies would make. That doesn’t include the economic boost to each state from having increased out of state dollars coming in.

The pure economics of going to a “all in one pool” draw would be a major boost to any state that made the change.
                              Taking Colorado for example, they make their $ from NR elk tags and the PP system. For them to increase revenue other than increasing existing fees they’d have to remove a tag from each top tier unit and open it as a unit-wide, governors type tag and kick it to auction. Additional fed control within the states gets wolves pushed down our throats and that’ll take a good system and turn it to crap in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
                                That’s the HF/LF debate out West. Want them to hate you, mention hunting on unit wide landowner vouchers in premium units.
                                Or worse Gov/auction tag. Pretty funny really.

Comment

Working...
                                X