• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ear pro ftw.
    no brainer

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
      So I shot my new APR 6.5 this week...from a box blind and two of them with no hearing protection. That beast is LOUD! My ears rang for a while. I hate to do it because APR does an amazing job of hiding the line where the brake is attached and removing it would make it more noticeable if I ever decided to put it back on. Question, will my point of impact change? Are there any downsides to putting the thread protector on that I might be missing?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      I feel your pain, brother! I took my Mesa 6.5 PRC to the lease this past weekend and broke it out on Sunday. I didn't see anything to shoot until Monday morning when I found a couple of feral mouflon/barbado sheep in a canyon. I shot three times and when it was over my ears were ringing worse than usual! I didn't notice it when I was shooting, but I sure did when it was all over. I'm going to invest in another pair of ear protectors, probably the kind you inset in your ear for when I use that rifle.

Comment

So this morning, I went to the range and fired my rifle without the brake. To my great surprise, the 6.5 PRC barely kicked and was MUCH quieter. POI was about 1.5" lower. So 5 clicks up and back to 1.5" high at 100 and dead on at 200.

Comment

^^^^ thanks for updating us. That's pretty sweet.

Comment

Man it must the difference in brakes but my 6.5 with a brake doesn’t make my ears ring at all

Comment

There's a reason suppressors are becoming so popular.��

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
                So this morning, I went to the range and fired my rifle without the brake. To my great surprise, the 6.5 PRC barely kicked and was MUCH quieter. POI was about 1.5" lower. So 5 clicks up and back to 1.5" high at 100 and dead on at 200.
                It's a good thing you actually checked for POI shift and found that it did by a fair amount. It's better than guessing whether it did or not like some folks do.

Comment

We all wear the basic orange ones pictured above. The hard plastic design hangs around your neck easily and doesnt get in the way. Its the only way to go for me. Brake or no brake. Ive damaged my ears enough already... With that said almost all my rifles have muzzle brakes. Including a 6.5 prc from APR

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                    I refuse to use a muzzle break while hunting. I used to use them on a lot of rifles but constant ringing in my ears for the last 14 years have made me rethink it. I have most calibers from 17 HMR to 470 Nitro Express but I only have breaks on 338 win Mag, 375 H&H mag, and 416 Rem Mag. I also have caps for all 3 I use when hunting.
                    A 6.5 is a fairly small cal with light recoil, it shouldn't need a break

Agreed

Comment

Working...
                    X