Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I change barrel twist if shortening barrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I change barrel twist if shortening barrel?

Ive decided to shorten my Savage Model 10 308 sporter barrel to about 16”...to be crowned and threaded by gunsmith. I believe factory twist is 1-10. Ive been shooting 165 grain Federal Sierra BT Game Kings and Ive been satisfied with accuracy. I just want a 308 setup that is more thicket friendly.

Im considering canceling the lathe work and ordering a thicker barrel and simply replacing the long skinny barrel with a shorter fatter barrel. Should the twist stay at 1-10 or change?

It seems that there are several barrel makers that sell Savage replacement barrels already made and in stock. Id appreciate any barrel maker suggestions...dos and donts.

Thanks for any guidance.
    Last edited by Briar Friar; 11-08-2019, 11:25 AM. Reason: ModelSpake

I like the 1-10 twist but I do not shoot subsonic ammo.

Northlander, shilen, bughole, Mcgowen....all great sources.

Comment

1&10 is good. By all means if the smith can get you what you want let them do it. May be less $$ if your barrel is still in good shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Unless you're wanting to shoot the really heavy bullets the 10 will be great.

A general rule is the slower or heavier the bullet the more twist you need. Having said that a 10 is already a good twist.

I just ran the numbers on the Berger twist calculator using the 168 hybrid which in theory should require a tad more twist than your bullet. It was way to the good of the twist required with a MV of 2500.

Comment

1:10 twist is a great twist for the 308 caliber.

Comment

Don’t take this as criticism. What is your reasoning for thinking you should change barrels? Are you wanting to step up a class in projectile weight? Or are you just concerned with a short 10 twist and the current projectiles? If you’re just concerned then no. You shouldn’t have any issues. If you’re curious if you should step up a weight class to negate some velocity loss then I wouldn’t be worried about that either. If you just want to step up to the 210+ weight class for pure desire, then yes I would go with a faster twist.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
              Don’t take this as criticism. What is your reasoning for thinking you should change barrels? Are you wanting to step up a class in projectile weight? Or are you just concerned with a short 10 twist and the current projectiles? If you’re just concerned then no. You shouldn’t have any issues. If you’re curious if you should step up a weight class to negate some velocity loss then I wouldn’t be worried about that either. If you just want to step up to the 210+ weight class for pure desire, then yes I would go with a faster twist.
              He wants a shorter barrel that's more thicket friendly

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Comment

I would prefer a faster speed twist in a shorter barrel. 308 are generally 1:10 to 1:12 so I would take the 1:10.

Per earlier thread why rebarrel? If you want shorter just trim, crown, and thread.

Comment

was wondering the same thing^^^^^

Comment

I wasnt sold on changing barrels but if I needed to change twist thatdve been the straw to move forward with changing barrels. I really like how light my setup is but going shorter will reduce more weight and produce more recoil. So my reasoning/justification was a thicker and heavier barrel would absorb some of that as well. And less likely to wag when hot. I dont fire a bunch to really worry about that though.

The cost difference alone says stay the lathe course. Ill stay that course.

Thank yall for input and guidance.

Comment

I just had a Tikka T3 Lite 308 1-11” twist barrel cut to 16”, re-crowned and threaded. Late last night I pulled the aftermarket Bell and Carlson stock it was in and dropped it in a MDT LSS Gen2 chassis. Had to flip both the Talley scope bases/rings so the short VX-R would would fit. Then put on the AAC Blackout 51T brake. It turned out pretty good I think. However I’m kind of leaning towards a camo paint job so it doesn’t look so perty. . I’ll find out how it shoots here in a couple hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

And here’s what it does with 168gr AMAX’s I had leftover.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                          He wants a shorter barrel that's more thicket friendly

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.
                          I’m not always the most attentive to important details lol in that case I’d absolutely stick with the 10 twist.

Comment

Originally posted by lglidewell View Post
                            And here’s what it does with 168gr AMAX’s I had leftover.

At 100yds?...pretty darn good.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                              I’m not always the most attentive to important details lol in that case I’d absolutely stick with the 10 twist.
                              Its all good. Thanks for the guidance.

Comment

Working...
                              X