Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-05-2022, 07:03 AM   #251
Leonhogboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell Co, Lee Co, Idaho, & Anywhere invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotx View Post
Beach camping. My daughters and her friends want me to take them camping on the beach with our fifth wheel. So any good spots you know of right on the beach. Also any tips or tricks would be appreciated.
Tip: Make sure daughter and friends understand, the beach needs to be cleaned off the 5th wheel when you get home.

Hogboy
Leonhogboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2022, 07:18 AM   #252
Bill M
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonhogboy View Post
Tip: Make sure daughter and friends understand, the beach needs to be cleaned off the 5th wheel when you get home.

Hogboy

And a pan of water large enough to put feet in to wash the sand off before going up the stairs. Offers a little help.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2022, 07:46 AM   #253
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonhogboy View Post

Hogboy
On the Beach RV Park in Port Aransas is what I would suggest.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2022, 01:15 PM   #254
sotx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen County

So in preparation for the beach I got two champion 4500 wat inverter generators with 50amp parallel kit, a foot washer, a teakwood type pallet for bottom of stairs outside, a runner carpet for over the stairs, sand stakes to hold down pop up canopy and the sand mat/carpet and 3 ten gallon water totes to refill my tank if need be.
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2022, 01:16 PM   #255
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
So in preparation for the beach I got two champion 4500 wat inverter generators with 50amp parallel kit, a foot washer, a teakwood type pallet for bottom of stairs outside, a runner carpet for over the stairs, sand stakes to hold down pop up canopy and the sand mat/carpet and 3 ten gallon water totes to refill my tank if need be.
I hope it all fits the new camper after you have to sell that one because of the endless sand that will forever be in it.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2022, 01:22 PM   #256
ateague11
Ten Point

Hunt In: ... a tree!

I just booked a spot in July at Aloha Beach RV in Port A. I had one booked at Port A RV Resort but found out you can't use golf carts from there. Aloha Beach has a direct path across 361 so they are allowed. Looks like a new smaller park. Anyone stay here before?
ateague11 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2022, 01:37 PM   #257
sotx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I hope it all fits the new camper after you have to sell that one because of the endless sand that will forever be in it.
LMAO you sound like my wife
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2022, 02:13 PM   #258
Bill M
Pope & Young

Headed to S. Llano River SP two weeks from Sunday. They have had rain so that is good but definitely a burn ban. Wish I10 wasn't so screwed up with construction. Y'all enjoy your trips.

We are booked for 3 more trips after this one out to September. We will take August off this year.
Old 05-08-2022, 04:31 PM   #259
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Default A/C, generator (& battery?) question

I need some help trying to figure out a situation with my a/c.

First off let me ask this: is it possible that a dead battery could impact the A/C's ability to start even when using a generator?

Here's the situation: Prior to last year I was using a 2 2200KW Westinghouse iXLT's in tandem and having zero issues. One of those generators bit the dust so I ordered a replacement, but for other reasons I purchased a Westinghouse iGen 2200KW.

They're the same size, different models but from all I've read that shouldn't matter.

So when I first turn the A/C it comes on and runs just fine, and then when it gets down to temperature it turns off as it should. However, when it tries to come back on after it's warmed up enough in the camper it almost immediately trips the overload breaker on one of the generators (presumably the new one since it's the only thing different), and that of course trips the other generator.

If I turn the A/C switch back to OFF, turn off the generators and then turn them back, I can restart the A/C again with no issues. It only happens when it tries to come back on after it's already been running.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this and/or how I can fix it? Could it be the dead battery? Or maybe the A/C needs to be cleaned? Or maybe it's the generators? I just don't know.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2022, 06:27 PM   #260
savin yours
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas

We do a different type of camping
Just upgraded to the new CampX!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
savin yours is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2022, 04:07 AM   #261
Bill M
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post

First off let me ask this: is it possible that a dead battery could impact the A/C's ability to start even when using a generator?

Here's the situation: Prior to last year I was using a 2 2200KW Westinghouse iXLT's in tandem and having zero issues. One of those generators bit the dust so I ordered a replacement, but for other reasons I purchased a Westinghouse iGen 2200KW.

They're the same size, different models but from all I've read that shouldn't matter.

So when I first turn the A/C it comes on and runs just fine, and then when it gets down to temperature it turns off as it should. However, when it tries to come back on after it's warmed up enough in the camper it almost immediately trips the overload breaker on one of the generators (presumably the new one since it's the only thing different), and that of course trips the other generator.

If I turn the A/C switch back to OFF, turn off the generators and then turn them back, I can restart the A/C again with no issues. It only happens when it tries to come back on after it's already been running.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this and/or how I can fix it? Could it be the dead battery? Or maybe the A/C needs to be cleaned? Or maybe it's the generators? I just don't know.

Are you using a surge protector? If so, are you using a bonding plug with it? The SP may be throwing a code that shuts it down if no bonding plug is used but the rest still works on 12v. Could have to do with hard start of the AC? Just a couple of things that come to mind.
Old 05-09-2022, 06:26 AM   #262
MacDaddy67
Pope & Young

There's a new Bolivar Beach and RV resort going in on Crystal Beach....
It has all the bells and whistles......I think you can get a basic site for $90 a night up to around $200 a night..... TO CAMP !!!!!
MacDaddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2022, 08:11 AM   #263
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post

What else is running in both scenarios? Sounds like your generator can’t handle more than the ac at all. It could be the battery in the sense the charger is kicking on after you turn on the ac.

TexasBob is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2022, 09:38 AM   #264
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
Are you using a surge protector? If so, are you using a bonding plug with it? The SP may be throwing a code that shuts it down if no bonding plug is used but the rest still works on 12v. Could have to do with hard start of the AC? Just a couple of things that come to mind.
No surge protector (at least that I know of). I'm not sure what an SP is, but as to your comment about the hard-start I am fairly certain my unit does not have one of those capacitors or whatever they're called that reduce the draw on start-up. I'm kind of thinking about getting one though (EasyStart 364). It's just odd that I never had this issue with the two original generators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
What else is running in both scenarios? Sounds like your generator can’t handle more than the ac at all. It could be the battery in the sense the charger is kicking on after you turn on the ac.
If there's anything else running at all it would be a light fixture, but all the bulbs are LED so they're not drawing much.

But until I got the replacement generator I could run the microwave and a/c at the same time without issue.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2022, 07:53 PM   #265
sp-bow
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF, MI

Looks like we are heading to Huntsville State Park next weekend.
sp-bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2022, 03:56 AM   #266
Bill M
Pope & Young

We will be hooking up and leaving for S Llano River SP in about 3 hrs. We will be there through Friday. Made the reservation for this spot 5 months ago. We are now booked through November of this year almost once a month. Taking August off this year.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:41 AM   #267
Paycheck
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by savin yours View Post
We do a different type of camping
Just upgraded to the new CampX!

Join the group.

Name:  camper.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  109.9 KB
Paycheck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2022, 01:45 PM   #268
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Why do owners of RV park angle the back in sites the wrong direction?

It is infinitely easier to back in from the drivers side vs trying to watch everything through the passenger mirror.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2022, 02:56 PM   #269
kmack
Eight Point

Hunt In: Comfort, TX

Entertainment purposes for other campers?
kmack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2022, 03:08 PM   #270
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmack View Post
Entertainment purposes for other campers?
Hahaha.

They like to see a good couples discussion every now and then, reminds them how good they have it in their pull through site.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2022, 12:49 PM   #271
Bill M
Pope & Young

We spent last week in Junction at S Llano River SP. Got some much needed rain on Tuesday night and cooled the weather down considerably. There was also a lightning strike 2 sites over that sat us straight up out of a dead sleep at 11:30 that night. It came after the rain was done. This pic was from behind our rig and already partially cleaned up. We had a great time. Took lots of pics, biked and hiked a bunch, enjoyed the wildlife. It's one of our favorite parks. Did some sky photography. https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...7#post16241085

Old 05-31-2022, 01:00 PM   #272
CoolHandLuke
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Del Rio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Hahaha.

They like to see a good couples discussion every now and then, reminds them how good they have it in their pull through site.
I've seen a few... lol

My wife on the other hand has been a blessing on helping with the blind side... a wise man once said "Patience is a virtue".
CoolHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2022, 01:19 PM   #273
DaveC
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
I've seen a few... lol

My wife on the other hand has been a blessing on helping with the blind side... a wise man once said "Patience is a virtue".
I know a couple that came back from their first trip rethinking their marriage- spotter watched as backer inner ripped a big ole hole in their brand new rigs rubber roof on a low hanging branch. Lines of communication had not been established or attempted.

I've always made it known to my spotter's- if you can't see my head in the mirror I can't see you.
Early on I'd hop out to see a set of arms flailing about as if extra arm swinging was gonna get the message across when I couldn't see them (cough cough- her) .

Kinda like speaking slower when someone doesn't understand the language.
it just doesn't work that way.

Bill M- I'm a fan of Llano SP. we used to stay there and camp, then head to Menard to fill feeders during one of the mornings when I had that lease.
Great park that's location should keep it from overcrowding.
Old 06-06-2022, 02:02 AM   #274
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Picking up our Forest River Grey Wolf 29TE tomorrow I did my typical loooong search and now scrambling for places that have openings this summer but I feel like I made a good decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSanders View Post
If anyone is in the area, come check me out! Trinitybayrvlodging.com
Adding you to the list

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateague11 View Post
Has anyone stayed at Majestic Oaks in Rockport?
We looked at their site tonight…like I said above, trying to find availabilities for July at this late date isn’t going very well
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
On the Beach RV Park in Port Aransas is what I would suggest.
Also checking here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateague11 View Post
I just booked a spot in July at Aloha Beach RV in Port A. I had one booked at Port A RV Resort but found out you can't use golf carts from there. Aloha Beach has a direct path across 361 so they are allowed. Looks like a new smaller park. Anyone stay here before?
Never heard of Aloha Beach…might have to check into it. I’m calling a few friends from the Pt Lavaca/Fulton areas tomorrow to see their recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
There's a new Bolivar Beach and RV resort going in on Crystal Beach....
It has all the bells and whistles......I think you can get a basic site for $90 a night up to around $200 a night..... TO CAMP !!!!!
We saw that while looking for somewhere on Bolivar. I will say this, the site looks really nice. We’re gonna check it out soon. I’m not sure it’ll get booked, my wife wants to stay on the ICW side close to Stingaree’s since that’s where we’ll be launching out of
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2022, 06:00 AM   #275
Randy M
Eight Point

Question…we just bought our next rv. It’s the 6th one we’ve owned and is geared more for just the wife and I since both girls are out of the house and on their own. Also, I work from home now on a mostly permanent basis; just need Wi-Fi. So I’d like to start taking longer trips, staying through the week (work and play without burning vacation days) as opposed to just being weekend warriors. The challenge is finding parks with Wi-Fi in actual sites.

Any ideas on how I could do this on my own so I don’t have to rely on parks to have it in individual sites?
Randy M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2022, 06:21 AM   #276
Bill M
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy M View Post
Question…we just bought our next rv. It’s the 6th one we’ve owned and is geared more for just the wife and I since both girls are out of the house and on their own. Also, I work from home now on a mostly permanent basis; just need Wi-Fi. So I’d like to start taking longer trips, staying through the week (work and play without burning vacation days) as opposed to just being weekend warriors. The challenge is finding parks with Wi-Fi in actual sites.

Any ideas on how I could do this on my own so I don’t have to rely on parks to have it in individual sites?

Where do you like to camp? Area of the state? Out of state? We use our phones as hot spots and they happen to be ATT since they have offered us the best statewide coverage. I also installed a Weboost small studio booster that works well. It is my understanding that Starlink is now offering RV setup but location has to have an "opening" with the satellite for that area.
Old 06-06-2022, 07:18 AM   #277
sp-bow
Ten Point

Quote:
I've seen a few... lol

lol. We use our phones and drivers side/ passengers side for directions. It has been working good for us. She is intelligent, but every once in a while she will get the directions wrong.
Old 06-06-2022, 07:25 AM   #278
sp-bow
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDispatcher View Post
Picking up our Forest River Grey Wolf 29TE tomorrow I did my typical loooong search and now scrambling for places that have openings this summer but I feel like I made a good decision

Adding you to the list

We looked at their site tonight…like I said above, trying to find availabilities for July at this late date isn’t going very well

Also checking here

Never heard of Aloha Beach…might have to check into it. I’m calling a few friends from the Pt Lavaca/Fulton areas tomorrow to see their recommendations

We saw that while looking for somewhere on Bolivar. I will say this, the site looks really nice. We’re gonna check it out soon. I’m not sure it’ll get booked, my wife wants to stay on the ICW side close to Stingaree’s since that’s where we’ll be launching out of
We bought a Grey Wolf 23MK Black Label 2 years ago. We've been very happy with it.
Old 06-06-2022, 07:29 AM   #279
Bill M
Pope & Young

Quote:
I've seen a few... lol

I broke down and bought a backup camera though we never really had any problems backing. I wanted to be able to see behind me going down the highway and use when backing in the driveway at home more than at the campsite.

Name:  20220605_155304.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  142.3 KB

Name:  20220605_155341.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  87.4 KB
Old 06-06-2022, 08:05 AM   #280
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Quote:
I have to say that one of the first things we did was replace the stock mattress with a memory/gel mattress. Gave the still plastic wrapped mattress that came in it to the local mission store.
100% agree!

Sent from my SM-A536V using Tapatalk
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2022, 05:41 AM   #281
Randy M
Eight Point

Quote:
Where do you like to camp? Area of the state? Out of state? We use our phones as hot spots and they happen to be ATT since they have offered us the best statewide coverage. I also installed a Weboost small studio booster that works well. It is my understanding that Starlink is now offering RV setup but location has to have an "opening" with the satellite for that area.
Mostly around Texas. I have ATT as well and have tried the hot spot thing…it’s never been very consistent. I need something reliable for zoom/teams calls. I’ll look into Starlink. Appreciate the response and help.
Old 06-08-2022, 05:59 AM   #282
Bill M
Pope & Young

Quote:
Mostly around Texas. I have ATT as well and have tried the hot spot thing…it’s never been very consistent. I need something reliable for zoom/teams calls. I’ll look into Starlink. Appreciate the response and help.
I'm looking into it myself. My wife still works in the real estate business and so far, the ATT hot spot has worked even in lower signal areas but she doesn't have to use Zoom.

Link to Starlink RV
Old 06-08-2022, 12:18 PM   #283
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp-bow View Post
We bought a Grey Wolf 23MK Black Label 2 years ago. We've been very happy with it.
Good to hear we looked at more than a few, and they all started running together after a while but kept coming back to this one. Heading out Sunday morning for a few days while the kids are on a cruise with their dad, so that we can get any kinks worked out before July. Hope the fish will cooperate down in Aransas and Corpus Bay
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2022, 07:35 AM   #284
Randy M
Eight Point

New-to-us camper. 2021 Coleman 2715RL. This is our 6th camper over the years, but first that was bought from a ‘kidless’ standpoint. Our girls are essentially out on their own now, so this one is primarily about the wife and I. Really dig the two recliners and fire place.

Heading out to Yeager Creek in Johnson City, tomorrow, for the inaugural trip.

Old 06-15-2022, 09:32 AM   #285
DaveC
Pope & Young

Excellent looking rig Randy, congrats on the new abode!

Did you trade in your previous one or sell it outright?

Old 06-15-2022, 11:57 AM   #286
Randy M
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Excellent looking rig Randy, congrats on the new abode!

Did you trade in your previous one or sell it outright?

Thanks Dave! We sold it outright. Our plan was to take a few years off from RVing since our girls were in a different phase of life, as mentioned above. Well...the planned 3-4 year break lasted about 4 months.

The other part to this is that I work from home 95% of the time now, and it's very predictable. All I need is Wifi. So, I'm hoping to spend more time in the coming years, in our RV, overlooking something cool, while 'working'.

Thanks again.
-Randy
Old 06-16-2022, 04:06 AM   #287
Bill M
Pope & Young

Quote:
New-to-us camper. 2021 Coleman 2715RL. This is our 6th camper over the years, but first that was bought from a ‘kidless’ standpoint. Our girls are essentially out on their own now, so this one is primarily about the wife and I. Really dig the two recliners and fire place.

Heading out to Yeager Creek in Johnson City, tomorrow, for the inaugural trip.

Enjoy the new rig Randy.
Old 06-16-2022, 04:11 AM   #288
Bill M
Pope & Young

We just spent a few days on Lake Somerville at Yegua Creek COE. Hot but we enjoyed it! No great shots of the eagles I watch out there as there were no close flybys but I managed to see an adult and this years offspring in the nest tree which is starting to deteriorate. Several deer photos that I haven't processed yet.

Old 06-16-2022, 06:24 AM   #289
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

We are getting ready to head to Red River NM for a week. Can’t wait to get away from this heat.
captainsling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2022, 12:56 PM   #290
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsling View Post
We are getting ready to head to Red River NM for a week. Can’t wait to get away from this heat.
Where are you staying? I would love to take the family and our 5th wheel to the mountains but I don't know where to go and don't like the parking lot campgrounds.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2022, 02:36 PM   #291
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

We spent last weekend at The Vineyards RV Park on Grapevine lake. It's in town (obviously), but is a really nice park, with a nice little swimming beach, store, showers, and about anything you'd need. We'll be back next week for the last ball tournament of the "Spring".
Old 06-16-2022, 03:02 PM   #292
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinR View Post
Where are you staying? I would love to take the family and our 5th wheel to the mountains but I don't know where to go and don't like the parking lot campgrounds.
4K River Ranch. Right on the River and they have a private stocked pond. My parents are there now and said the whole town is pretty much dead. The forest service has all off road and other activities shut down due to fire concerns. Will be interesting.

Last edited by captainsling; 06-16-2022 at 03:04 PM.
captainsling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2022, 03:34 PM   #293
DaveC
Pope & Young

Padre Bali has been an excellent breather now that outage season is over.

My dogs approve, mostly the boxer , the mutt not so much.

Old 06-16-2022, 05:53 PM   #294
Bill M
Pope & Young

Hot camping, gotta love it. Yegua Creek COE, Lake Somerville earlier this week.

Old 06-16-2022, 06:05 PM   #295
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

Quote:
LMAO you sound like my wife
That right there is funny!
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2022, 06:23 PM   #296
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Hot camping, gotta love it. Yegua Creek COE, Lake Somerville earlier this week.

You ain’t kiddin! Our trailer was in full sun last weekend, and I ran both ACs full tilt from sun up to sun down. The best thing I’ve done since buying a camper, is adding the 2nd AC.

Old 06-17-2022, 06:45 AM   #297
Randy M
Eight Point

We had a 2nd ac installed in ours before picking it up. Just spent the first night in it. Money well spent…
Old 06-17-2022, 06:49 AM   #298
Bill M
Pope & Young

Quote:
We had a 2nd ac installed in ours before picking it up. Just spent the first night in it. Money well spent…

When I was doing the research on ours I read that anything over 25 ft in Texas better have 2 ACs. I forget the length for adding a third.
Old 06-21-2022, 05:02 AM   #299
Randy M
Eight Point

Anyone been to Roadrunner RV Resort in Red River, NM? We are heading there in August. Going to be a long, expensive pull with my gas truck, but it will feel good to get out of this heat.
Old 06-21-2022, 05:59 AM   #300
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

If I can figure out how to do this full time, I would!!

Sent from my SM-A536V using Tapatalk
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top