Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-18-2021, 05:33 PM   #151
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I’ve realized saying ‘I’ll practice later’ does not work. Up, breakfast then guitar time. The grey cells and muscles are making connections.

I’m enjoying the deck outside before elk season (and snow). The neighbor’s cattle 1/4 mile below or the pair of sand hill cranes don’t take notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill, my blood pressure dropped 10 points just looking at your awesome patio view. I too have found earlier in the day to be better for working on my music. Keep entertaining those cattle and sand hill cranes with some nice guitar sounds. And keep posting your progress, good luck.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2021, 05:18 AM   #152
BessH
Banned!!!

Great topic. I'm glad that I'm not alone who decided to finally learn the guitar being an adult.
BessH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2021, 05:21 AM   #153
YarikN
Banned!!!

I agree. The topic is really good and includes a lot of useful information. Thanks, guys. I started learning the guitar only two months ago and sometimes I just want to scream, but how great it is when I finally see the result Usually, I just watch videos and look through the different guides on the Internet. It is awesome that we have such a possibility today. I haven't heard about the guitarpass site, thanks for sharing, I'll check it out for sure.
As for the theory, I've already begun learning it. Btw, I use Fortenotation. This is a good and useful music notation software that allows me to write the chords down, save my score as a PDF file, send it, print it out, etc. The process is pretty exciting, I should say. And there is a free version that is enough for the beginner, in my opinion.
Someone mentioned here that lessons with a teacher can help. I'm sure they can (I learned the piano when I was a kid, so I know that there are things that are better and faster to learn with a professional).
And Bill, I can't help saying about your patio view. It is amazing! It must be a perfect place for practicing.
YarikN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2021, 10:32 AM   #154
Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montana

Here’s a question.

If I pick my #1 string (E), when I damp the E string I still hear a vibration in the guitar.

If I go string-by-string to the others I still hear it.

If I put a finger across all 6 strings it stops.

Could it be in the bridge?

Keep pickin’

Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2021, 10:40 AM   #155
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Can you post a video of the vibration noise, Bill? Might help to diagnose it. It could be the bridge or saddle or maybe something else? Hard to tell without seeing/hearing it.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2021, 01:02 PM   #156
Bluesman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Retired Bowhunter

Quote:
Here’s a question.

If I pick my #1 string (E), when I damp the E string I still hear a vibration in the guitar.

If I go string-by-string to the others I still hear it.

If I put a finger across all 6 strings it stops.

Could it be in the bridge?

Keep pickin’

Probably a harmonic resonance. Try #6 string to see if it does the same.
No big deal for me.
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2021, 02:18 PM   #157
JTRichardson
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas, in your stand when you aint there :)

I still think that it's so cool that you are picking up this hobby now. I played daily for 15 years and finally got burnt out on it and haven't picked up a guitar in a few years now. reading threads like this make me want to knock the dust off one of the many I own and get to it.

Keep strummin away man!
JTRichardson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2021, 09:48 PM   #158
etbowhunter
Six Point

Sitting here on the back porch tonight picking out some Hayes Carll got me wondering about your progress Bill. Hopefully you're making progress but more importantly, enjoying the process now instead of worrying about the outcome.
etbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2021, 08:46 AM   #159
Bill
Pope & Young

It’s moving forward, albeit slowly. Having fun, though. Earlier this week there was some confusion with my lesson time, and the woman with the following lesson turned up a bit early.

She also has a GS Mini, and the 2 of us played chords and Craig lead on a couple simple songs. That was great fun actually hearing some music.

Old 08-19-2021, 08:55 AM   #160
Bluesman
Pope & Young

A good experience!
Old 08-19-2021, 09:29 AM   #161
BOSSHOG
Spike

I have a bunch of acoustics you'd enjoy a wide neck with nylon strings as a beginner, steel will hurt your fingers when you need to practice and build up your pads. I probably have two or three I can part with.
BOSSHOG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2021, 09:43 AM   #162
Drew51
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hamilton, Commanche, Grayson, and Cooke Counties

I would say no matter which guitar you go with, you should absolutely go get it set up. Usually costs me around $50 and has vastly improved every guitar I've ever owned. Other than that I would just say stick with it and have fun!
Drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2021, 07:59 PM   #163
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Bill, reading your “the 2 of us played chords and Craig lead on a couple simple songs. That was great fun actually hearing some music.” is awesome news. Practicing at home is just part of the drill and we all do it. But if you get a chance to jam with other guitar players just jump all over it! You will learn a ton jamming with others when you can do this, and it is likely a fun time. Great to hear your progress, now go out there on your deck and play some tunes!
Old 08-19-2021, 09:02 PM   #164
etbowhunter
Six Point

Quote:
It’s moving forward, albeit slowly. Having fun, though. Earlier this week there was some confusion with my lesson time, and the woman with the following lesson turned up a bit early.

She also has a GS Mini, and the 2 of us played chords and Craig lead on a couple simple songs. That was great fun actually hearing some music.

That's great news! Having people to play with always makes it more fun. I'm lucky since both my sons play as well so I can usually get at least 1 of them to sit in for an hour or so.
Congratulations on your first jam session!!
Old 08-20-2021, 12:02 PM   #165
Bill
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSHOG View Post
I have a bunch of acoustics you'd enjoy a wide neck with nylon strings as a beginner, steel will hurt your fingers when you need to practice and build up your pads. I probably have two or three I can part with.

PM sent. That’s very kind.

Old 09-30-2021, 09:24 PM   #166
Bill
Pope & Young

I’m still pickin’! Antelope and elk season have reduced my practice time (my excuse) but I’m playing chords, learning scales and now starting to re-learn reading sheet music. No wrist or finger pain and I’m figuring out the narrower neck on a 3/4 size guitar.

I think my biggest problem is managing my time since I’m retired. My next step is mornings will go make coffee- practice guitar- only then I get to eat breakfast.

I can pick my way through Ripple’s melody and play chords with my instructor playing lead. Once elk season is over, I met a local guy thru hinting who is is also retired and quite good on guitar who said he’d enjoy getting together with a new guitar player. Since our Montana winters are long and cold I’m looking forward to that.

Old 09-30-2021, 10:03 PM   #167
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Been wondering how the guitar tunes were going Bill, good to see you post and thanks for the update. Understand that antelope and elk season sure nuff take priority over guitar for now, but your guitar will be a good amigo to you through that long, cold Montana winter. Happy pickin’!
Old 10-01-2021, 06:54 AM   #168
Bill
Pope & Young

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2021, 08:37 PM   #169
Bill
Pope & Young

Working on learning D major scale, and reading music. Flash cards!

Old 10-07-2021, 08:52 PM   #170
Hoytbowhunter
Pope & Young

Following
Hoytbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2021, 10:47 PM   #171
etbowhunter
Six Point

Congratulations on the progress Bill. I was sitting on the back porch earlier this evening playing with my son after shooting our bows and wondered how you were coming along. Can't wait to hear how you progress playing with the guy you met.
Old 10-08-2021, 06:42 AM   #172
Bill
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
Been wondering how the guitar tunes were going Bill, good to see you post and thanks for the update. Understand that antelope and elk season sure nuff take priority over guitar for now, but your guitar will be a good amigo to you through that long, cold Montana winter. Happy pickin’!

Cold? Not if you’re dressed right

I have 5 cords of mixed pine and fir bring dumped in a big pile on the 15th. Once hunting season is over, that’s the plan.

Old 01-06-2022, 01:36 PM   #173
Bill
Pope & Young

Default Educate me- adult beginner acoustic guitar

Wow- 3 months later.

Work is equal to force time distance.

The more I practice the more fun it becomes. Elk season over (no shots, I saw lots including me scrambling up the side of a mountain chasing 400 cows mewing 30-40 yards above behind a ridge and sliding back 2 for every 1 step up) and Montana winter is here so more time to practice.

I ‘almost’ broke my left wrist when my SxS was crossing ruts on a national forest road (kinda) the front wheels jerked left and my left arm was twisted gripping the steering wheel. Not fun playing the guitar in pain.

I did play sone Christmas tunes for my family. My first ‘performance’ and boy did I choke. It was all fun though.

One thing I realized was it’s like shooting a bow. After lessons if you want to do something a bit different in your form, as long as you hit what you’re aiming at…. there’s “ no points for pretty”.

After struggling with bending my left wrist and the smaller neck on a 3/4 size guitar, I figured out I could play an A chord with a barre on the G and B strings. Like magic I’m not diddling with finger placement and transitions are much faster. Turned a problem of strings close together into an advantage.

I have a few folks coming over for a ‘jam’ session next weekend. A local guitar player who I got out on my mechanic’s ranch for a whitetail buck, his wife who plays standup bass and another student from where I take lessons in BozeAngeles (Bozeman). That should be fun.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to the strummers and pickers in Texas. Let me know if you draw a Montana elk tag and want to bring your guitar too. Those are the Greenhorn Mountains from our sun room. After -7 yesterday, +18 feels like a heat spell.

Old 01-06-2022, 07:32 PM   #174
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Happy New Year Bill, great to see you post on this again. Sorry to hear about the elk hunt outcome and your sore left wrist, but you sure had those things happen to you in some of God’s best work on this old Planet. Always enjoy your pics of that beautiful country. Cool that you did some Christmas tunes for your family, that’s the first gig for most of us. Have fun at that jam, and get someone to take a pic of it so you can post it here. And don’t be shy, when it is your turn to call a tune to do, rock out on "Ripple" just like you have been practicing it!

If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine
And my tunes were played on the harp unstrung
Old 01-06-2022, 11:32 PM   #175
Shane
Pope & Young

That's awesome! Glad to hear of your enjoyable progress, Bill.
Old 01-15-2022, 06:05 PM   #176
Bill
Pope & Young

I just finished my first ‘jam’. A friend played guitar and his wife standup bass. While my fingertips are tingling, I learned a great amount in a couple hours- and had fun. It was amazing how much faster my chord changes were when I had to ‘keep up’ with other folks playing.

We played Ripple (of course) and they had me sing, and Hotel California. If we get down to Bownanza (50/50 right now) I want to play it in Texas!

Old 01-15-2022, 11:33 PM   #177
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Good going Bill, glad to hear your jam was rocking. Try to jam with other pickers every chance you get, and work on having a handful of your favorite tunes ready to play and sing. It is cool reading about your progress, good luck with it!
Old 01-16-2022, 10:45 AM   #178
eastover53
Six Point

Hunt In: Kansas Mississippi Louisiana

Quote:
I just finished my first ‘jam’. A friend played guitar and his wife standup bass. While my fingertips are tingling, I learned a great amount in a couple hours- and had fun. It was amazing how much faster my chord changes were when I had to ‘keep up’ with other folks playing.

We played Ripple (of course) and they had me sing, and Hotel California. If we get down to Bownanza (50/50 right now) I want to play it in Texas!

That’s awesome! Keep it up! I’ve been playing for twenty years and I’m still trying to master the fretboard. Play along with YouTube guitar jam tracks, but learning from playing with others will take you a long way. Take a couple of lessons, if you haven’t already. Jam on!
eastover53 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2022, 01:36 PM   #179
Bill
Pope & Young

I take lessons every week (or 2) since the instructor is 90 plus minutes away in Bozeman. We set up lessons around ‘driving to the big city’ for Costco and other shopping. What a change from living in San Jose with more people than all of Montana.

It’s easy to see who else shopping there is coming in from a rural area- we drive pickups, don’t wear covid masks the urban Bozemanites do, and have a large cooler in the bed for perishables on the drive home. We’re probably all armed too, but gentlemen don’t discuss that with others. No longer are permits are required for concealed carry in Montana.

When I come in and show him what I’m working on I hear “how did you figure that out” or “I don’t usually teach those chords to beginners”.

Then we get down to work.

Old 01-16-2022, 10:40 PM   #180
etbowhunter
Six Point

Congratulations on your first jam session. Sounds like you’re working on becoming a full blown picker. I agree with 3 Chord in the fact that it’s been cool to follow your progression. Unfortunately your next step in this progression is a lot like archery. You’ll start finding “deals” on guitars and before you know it, you’ll have a room full of them.
The next time you get together with your band, hit the “record” button and post it up. We’d all like to hear it.
Old 01-22-2022, 05:04 PM   #181
austinRecurve
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Alaska

Here's an easy one that's fun to play along with, Pearl Jam's cover of Last Kiss by Wayne Cochran, 1961:

Some of you might like this version better:

Chords here are E / C#m / A / B

Last edited by austinRecurve; 01-22-2022 at 05:21 PM.
austinRecurve is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2022, 09:38 AM   #182
Bill
Pope & Young

We played a 2nd time and the 3d is Saturday.

Can somebody recommend a book of sheet music of George Strait’s hits? Also the Eagles and the Dead.

My instructor said most guitar music books include the piano music and a song is on 3-4 pages. I have print out sheet music for songs from the internet, but I feel like I’m cheating the artist out of his royalties.

Old 02-10-2022, 09:53 AM   #183
Shane
Pope & Young

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/sear...eorge%20strait
Old 02-10-2022, 01:13 PM   #184
Bill
Pope & Young

Shane, I see the list, and when I click on 1 it asks me download their app, then is there an annual subscription?

Old 02-10-2022, 01:20 PM   #185
Shane
Pope & Young

I'm pretty sure it's free, Bill. They may have a paid subscription that adds some features, but I'm not paying anything. You can access it on a laptop or through an app on a phone or tablet.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:07 PM   #186
Olphart
Ten Point

Hunt In: My backyard!

Bill, Tabs is free but a word of caution. Many of the songs I've looked up either have the chords wrong, in the wrong place or the words are wrong. I ALWAYS double check them against YouTube's "original" versions. The good part of Tabs is you can change the key to fit your preference (voice).
Olphart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2022, 01:49 PM   #187
Bill
Pope & Young

Thanks again. I have to practice- I’m exceeding my skill level!

I went deer hunting this am- we have a late season hunt until Feb. 15 to cull whitetails because of CWD. Nobody who I know who shot one had a positive test come back,

I saw 50 deer and 3 nice bucks cone out of willows on the river to feed where I have access. Now I know where and when they move, and I’ll go back Sunday am to be in front of them.

Old 02-11-2022, 02:07 PM   #188
Shane
Pope & Young

Good point, Olphart. Tabs online are almost always at least a little off. Bill, if you look at the version of a song tab that has the most positive reviews, that's usually the best one to start with. Then there are often comments at the bottom of the page that will suggest edits or improvements.

I'd encourage you to develop your ear so that you can learn a song by ear. That's how you'll know when a tab is wrong - when you play it the way they have it written and it doesn't sound right. When I was a kid, all I had was a record or a cassette tape and my guitar. I would sit down and play a couple bars of a song at a time, hit the pause button, and then find the notes and chords on my guitar. It's a tedious process, especially at the beginning of your ear development. But it pays dividends over time. Eventually you'll get to where you can almost play along with a song on the fly, just by ear. Just another one of those skills that require practice. Learning music theory helps with that immensely too. I didn't know much theory when I was a kid, but I gradually figured some of it out just by recognizing the patterns that repeat across multiple songs. Later in life I spent some time studying it and learned more. It helps a lot to know which chords belong in a key when you're playing a song by ear.
Old 02-11-2022, 02:34 PM   #189
Bluesman
Pope & Young

I typically just do a google search for the song lyrics. As in "Telephone Road Lyrics".
I then use Tabs for the chords. If needed.
You can then copy and paste the Lyrics into Excel, or type them in Excel leaving a horizontal space for the chords. You can pick a cell to add the chord where it corresponds to the lyrics.
Where a verse ends you'll want a double space. Same with the Chorus.
This gets the page issue down to one or two in some cases.

You probably already have a chord chart. The best chart will have printed across the top:
(3 Principal Chords) (Minor Chords) and (Additional Chords) This chart will give you 12 Chords that might show up in a song.
www.walrusproductions.com
The Chart number is 8117
https://www.walrusproductions.com/gu...sionsmini.html

I keep adding things.....
There's an app that people use with a tablet. I don't know the name of the app but it scrolls down at a variable speed with Lyrics and Chords, I think you can change the Key to one you can sing to.

Last edited by Bluesman; 02-11-2022 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-11-2022, 02:40 PM   #190
Bill
Pope & Young

I’m totally confused by the F#m chord in Amarillo By Morning. I find multiple ways to play it- but they don’t sound the same.

Old 02-11-2022, 02:42 PM   #191
Shane
Pope & Young

Your first one is Fm, assuming the barre on the bottom 3 strings is at the 1st fret with an F note on the 3rd fret/4th string, as drawn. Move it all up 1 fret, and it'll be F#m. Barre the bottom 3 strings at the 2nd fret, and add the F# on the 4th string/4th fret. Then it'll be F#m.
Old 02-11-2022, 02:46 PM   #192
Shane
Pope & Young

Your 2nd chord diagram is F#m. You can play just the bottom 3 strings, as drawn. Or you can add the F# root note on the 4th string/4th fret.

You can also barre all 6 strings at the 2nd fret, then add pinky on 4th string/4th fret and ring finger on 5th string/4th fret. Same chord, just including the lower 2 strings. It's like an open Em, just slid up 2 frets and then barred on the 2nd fret.
Old 02-11-2022, 02:52 PM   #193
Shane
Pope & Young

I just checked the Ultimate Guitar Tabs app on my phone. It has a chord library in it that shows you lots of ways to play each chord.

Old 02-11-2022, 02:54 PM   #194
Shane
Pope & Young

Another way to play that full barre chord is to fret the 6th string with your thumb (wrapped around the neck), barre the bottom 3 with index finger, ring finger 5th string/4th fret, and pinky 4th string 4th fret. If you have long enough fingers, the thumb on the bass string deal works great for those E-shape barre chords.
Old 02-11-2022, 03:01 PM   #195
toomuchsun
Eight Point

Hunt In: on the edge

Awesome to have another guitar player in the sportsman's world. For a song lyrics and chords massive is online as I am sure has been recognized. I think intentional so not "EXACT" copies of the original perhaps to defend infringements and copyrights? Find the same song on a few sites, listen to the original and I can usually correct deviations. Played for many years. Still amateur but I have lot of fun. I am looking for a guitar for grand daughter and one rule is do NOT go super cheap. Cheap plays super cheap in most cases and seriously hampers the learner. My opinion! Looking at Big Baby Taylor for her? Well see. Nylon is great and easy to fret and stroke but usually wide and flat fret board. Young hands (and many beginners) do better with narrow and slender. (she plays a quality ukelele so a bit of a start already) Best to You!!!
toomuchsun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2022, 11:14 AM   #196
Bill
Pope & Young

I’ve noticed that picking up guitar is “teaching an old dog new tricks”. Being 66, cognitive decline (what?) is a normal part of aging.

This is an interesting medical study- done by researchers in Korea looking at many other studied (meta analysis) of the effect of playing a musical instrument in older adults.

My summary- it seems to help keeping your mind from going downhill.

Now I’m off to practice the guitar!

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles...019.00151/full

Old 03-02-2022, 11:52 AM   #197
Bill
Pope & Young

Still goin’ at it. Found if I back off on myself it’s more fun!

I met the woman who owns the brewery in town. I told her my goal is to play well enough that I can play there- there’s live music 6-8 on Fridays. She said to ‘go for it!

I learned on amazon I can buy used music books, I pick the Goodwill stores to support a good cause.

Best if George Strait and the Eagles ordered today.

Last edited by Bill; 03-02-2022 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2022, 02:28 PM   #198
Shane
Pope & Young

I had Best of John Denver and Eagles Greatest Hits songbooks when I was a kid in the 70s. That's pretty much how I learned to play guitar. George wasn't around yet. But in high school in the 80s, I played George and ZZ Top mostly.
Old 03-02-2022, 03:48 PM   #199
Bill
Pope & Young

I called a music store in Bozeman yesterday for guitar music books while were were shopping/ errands “in the big city”. She checked the shelves and had a guitar Beatles book, the only other was Pink Floyd.

Floyd on an acoustic guitar?

Old 03-02-2022, 09:18 PM   #200
Bluesman
Pope & Young

Floyd acoustic is the deal!