Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks all!

Comment

Those of you who pile it up like this? What do you do with it? Shovel into pickup bed/trailer and then drive around and shovel it out again?

We are dealing with 15, 1k lb feeders at our place so that sounds like a lot of shoveling to me.

Comment

We shovel it into molasses tubs and haul them out to dump in feeders... One of those little wire hoop feeders like folks buy made out of horse wire holds 4 tubs. Most of ours are made from 1/2 of a horse panel rolled into a circle. They hold 6 tubs. Some of us have 2 feeders at each location... We use snow scoops to fill the tubs at the bulk location. It goes pretty fast. We drilled holes in the tubs and put rope handles with a short piece of water hose. Makes them much easier to carry and empties can be stacked without them sticking together... Pretty good system and works for us...

Comment

What about storing it in a 1 ton super sack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by dope hunter View Post
            What about storing it in a 1 ton super sack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Those are a PITA to empty.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              Those are a PITA to empty.
              No harder than the pail method above. If you have a tractor, it’s even easier. We’ve been buying a sack or two, then using a 5-gallon bucket to transfer from the sack to the feeder while pulled up next to it. You just have to make sure you put your feeder where you can pull up next to it. One 5 gallon bucket of Cottonseed weighs about 25-30 lbs, so you can figure on 20 scoops to fill up most wire/tpost feeders 👍🏿

Comment

We keep it in the sacks in a barn. The rats get a little bit of it but that’s about it. Right now cows are the biggest “other” I have to worry about.

We transfer 4-6 sacks to a small trailer and shovel it. Cottonseed is easy to keep. I like the bags because it’s relatively easy for us to load up and move around.

Comment

Anywhere close to Georgetown to get bulk cottonseed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anybody built a covered cottonseed chute?
                    I am thinking about building one 10'x30' w concrete floor & cinder block walls about 10' high. I load from this w tractor to back of my pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
                      Anybody built a covered cottonseed chute?
                      I am thinking about building one 10'x30' w concrete floor & cinder block walls about 10' high. I load from this w tractor to back of my pickup.
                      We had one on the Catarina Place I was on, it worked well. Had 2 big doors and we could get a tractor into most of it (pretty big tractor) or use the skid steer and use it. A little more up front cost but it will last a long while.

Comment

Originally posted by 160class View Post
                        We had one on the Catarina Place I was on, it worked well. Had 2 big doors and we could get a tractor into most of it (pretty big tractor) or use the skid steer and use it. A little more up front cost but it will last a long while.
                        You have any pics ?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
                          You have any pics ?
                          Just looked and I do not, wish I could be more help.

I do know we would have to dump the cottonseed on the ground outside of it and then push it all into the barn.

Comment

OK,thx anyway. Will build roof high enough so truck can dump it on the concrete. Hard to scoop off bare ground w/o getting a bunch of dirt mixed in.

Comment

Finished cottonseed storage bldg. Will make life easier on these old bones.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I grew up on a cotton farm we always held back a trailer load for cattle. we would put it on a 4 wheel trailer with open top and park the trailer in our tractor shed. As a kid I would play in the cotton seed digging tunnels. Cows thought that stuff was candy.

Comment

Working...
                                X