Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 05-24-2022, 09:45 PM   #1
oneisnone
Ten Point

Default Need to build a hoist

Wanting to add an electric hoist to the shop for helping unload stuff out of the truck. Would like it to travel, but not necessary.

For the more experienced fabricators out there, is there a safe way to connect a 10’ piece of I-beam between the trusses (doubled c-purlin), and be able to safely lift 1k lbs from the center? Or any better ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oneisnone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2022, 11:32 AM   #2
EastTexun
Six Point

Hunt In: Houston County

I am no engineer, but I don't see adequate bracing for that roof to support a vertical load. I am in the same boat as you, and what I have been kicking around is building a moveable A frame type on large casters. We built one way back when for the ag shop and it worked well.
EastTexun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2022, 12:09 PM   #3
Big_gun
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ighlight=hoist

looks close to fitting your shop....
Big_gun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2022, 05:40 PM   #4
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

With the load the roof is already carrying, I wouldn't trust c-perlin to carry that load, even if it's only a 10 foot section of I-beam.

A roll around gantry crane would be my choice for a shop like yours. That way, you can store it anywhere in the shop you desire when not in use. You could also load it on a trailer and take it places if necessary. And would come in handy skin-n game.

Harbor Freight has a couple that I just happen to look at last weekend. The 2,000lb modle looks well-designed/built. I don't like buying there because most of it is imported from China. But they do carry better products than they used to 20 years ago.

2,000 lb work load for $829.99:
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-...ane-62510.html
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2022, 05:52 PM   #5
BlessedVeteran0305
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hunting for a place to hunt

Definitely wouldn't try to hoist anything close to 1k pounds on that roof. I'd be afraid of it buckling
BlessedVeteran0305 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2022, 06:41 PM   #6
kingranch
Ten Point

Nope Def not

Just build one
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2022, 11:13 AM   #7
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

You could start at the wall and turn one of those cross sections into a truss. If you want it to run on an I beam, you'd obviously have to truss 2 of them...but it's not hard to do.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 05-26-2022 at 11:37 AM.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2022, 04:10 PM   #8
oneisnone
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_gun View Post
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ighlight=hoist

looks close to fitting your shop....
Ya, if I hadn't just had the 2 post lift installed I would have scooped that up quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post

A roll around gantry crane would be my choice for a shop like yours.

Considered this, but I'm already running out of floor space and I really dont want to take up that much more, plus I really only need the lifting ability in one spot in the shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
You could start at the wall and turn one of those cross sections into a truss. If you want it to run on an I beam, you'd obviously have to truss 2 of them...but it's not hard to do.
Was hoping you'd chime in

Im not opposed to doing a 30' span across the width of the shop, I just dont know what material can span that distance, lift 1k in the middle, and hopefully not require a large forklift to raise
Old 05-26-2022, 05:11 PM   #9
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

I believe what Dmo is saying is go back the columns and truss it across then hang your ibeam and trolly off of two trussed gables, like what I poorly drew on the pic of your pic.

If it were me, I’d build a hinged swing out trolley from one of your columns and when not in use just swing it back to the wall. It’d hinge at the column span with some I or h beam, have another column come down off of that with a tee at the bottom with two load rated casters.

For what it’s worth that shop is very lightly built. I’d be leery of trying to hoist much up with the way it sits currently. And welding next to your insulation isn’t recommended either.
Who built the structure?
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2022, 06:14 PM   #10
softpoint
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I'm allowed

I've put a few hoists in buildings during my career. You could set a steel post with floor plate on each side and then span it with an I beam. Tie the assembly to the building for lateral bracing, but not using the building to support the load. It would be pretty easy to get a half ton, or even a ton on no more distance than I'm seeing.
softpoint is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2022, 06:36 PM   #11
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Default Need to build a hoist

It doesn’t have to be heavy material, I think 2” 11ga for the bottom, and 14ga for the others. Trusses are all about weight distribution. It would really strengthen your whole building.

Old 05-27-2022, 09:18 AM   #12
oneisnone
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERS View Post

I believe what Dmo is saying is go back the columns and truss it across then hang your ibeam and trolly off of two trussed gables, like what I poorly drew on the pic of your pic.

If it were me, I’d build a hinged swing out trolley from one of your columns and when not in use just swing it back to the wall. It’d hinge at the column span with some I or h beam, have another column come down off of that with a tee at the bottom with two load rated casters.

For what it’s worth that shop is very lightly built. I’d be leery of trying to hoist much up with the way it sits currently. And welding next to your insulation isn’t recommended either.
Who built the structure?
We bought the house in January with the shop on it, no idea who built it but everything we've found done on the house/shop so far is shoddy so Im not surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softpoint View Post
I've put a few hoists in buildings during my career. You could set a steel post with floor plate on each side and then span it with an I beam. Tie the assembly to the building for lateral bracing, but not using the building to support the load. It would be pretty easy to get a half ton, or even a ton on no more distance than I'm seeing.
That's what I've seen done on a smaller scale in home garages, wasn't sure about the span since it's 30' in my case.

Quote:
It doesn’t have to be heavy material, I think 2” 11ga for the bottom, and 14ga for the others. Trusses are all about weight distribution. It would really strengthen your whole building.
You don't think I'd need to tie the new truss to the floor somehow? Or is that not included with the free plans you provided?
Old 05-27-2022, 09:32 AM   #13
kingranch
Ten Point

I built this one w a scrap piece of I beam and some 4inch sq Tubing then slapped some red paint on it...easy weekend project

The nice thing is w the boat trailer Jack's I could roll it out of way
Attached Images

kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2022, 09:36 AM   #14
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneisnone View Post
We bought the house in January with the shop on it, no idea who built it but everything we've found done on the house/shop so far is shoddy so Im not surprised.

That's what I've seen done on a smaller scale in home garages, wasn't sure about the span since it's 30' in my case.

You don't think I'd need to tie the new truss to the floor somehow? Or is that not included with the free plans you provided?

What are the “posts” made of? 4X4?

Old 05-27-2022, 09:58 AM   #15
softpoint
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I'm allowed

You can strap the top of a beam if you want to increase deflection loads, and you could use 4x4 x3/16 or 1/4 tube for the posts or pipe. Basically a gantry crane that isn't free standing. Now, if you wanted travel in all directions, a beam down each side of the garage, and a cross beam on trolleys running on them, then a hanging trolley on the cross beam. Would be nice, but maybe more than you need for what you are wanting to do.
softpoint is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2022, 02:18 PM   #16
oneisnone
Ten Point

Quote:
What are the “posts” made of? 4X4?

The existing posts that the trusses are sitting on are doubled c-purlin, same as the trusses
Old 05-27-2022, 02:19 PM   #17
oneisnone
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingranch View Post
I built this one w a scrap piece of I beam and some 4inch sq Tubing then slapped some red paint on it...easy weekend project

Ive found a few like that one for sale locally on marketplace, just hate to add something else to the floor. It's getting crowded already
Old 05-27-2022, 02:32 PM   #18
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
The existing posts that the trusses are sitting on are doubled c-purlin, same as the trusses

That’s weird. It’s probably fine, but you could weld a pice of 2X4 tubing to it to set the bottom of your bottom truss piece on.that would put the load directly to the floor, and stiffen the whole structure.

Old 05-27-2022, 03:39 PM   #19
oneisnone
Ten Point

Quote:
That’s weird. It’s probably fine, but you could weld a pice of 2X4 tubing to it to set the bottom of your bottom truss piece on.that would put the load directly to the floor, and stiffen the whole structure.

I may have a couple of pieces of 4x4 1/4" tubing that I could use for the vertical posts. I'll start looking at i-beam and see what it would take to get a 30' piece home and raised up in the ceiling.
Old 05-29-2022, 06:59 PM   #20
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie, Kimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingranch View Post

Nice work. Leaning this route for my shop…figured I could hang a punching bag from it during its down time

Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 01:08 PM   #21
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
I may have a couple of pieces of 4x4 1/4" tubing that I could use for the vertical posts. I'll start looking at i-beam and see what it would take to get a 30' piece home and raised up in the ceiling.

You don’t need anything as heavy as I-Beam if you truss it.

Old 05-31-2022, 02:11 PM   #22
oneisnone
Ten Point

Quote:
You don’t need anything as heavy as I-Beam if you truss it.

Thinking for simplicity sake of hanging one piece of steel plus the i-beam serves as a trolley track. Granted, I haven't priced i-beam yet so we'll see
Old 05-31-2022, 02:23 PM   #23
Hogmauler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerrville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
With the load the roof is already carrying, I wouldn't trust c-perlin to carry that load, even if it's only a 10 foot section of I-beam.

A roll around gantry crane would be my choice for a shop like yours. That way, you can store it anywhere in the shop you desire when not in use. You could also load it on a trailer and take it places if necessary. And would come in handy skin-n game.

Harbor Freight has a couple that I just happen to look at last weekend. The 2,000lb modle looks well-designed/built. I don't like buying there because most of it is imported from China. But they do carry better products than they used to 20 years ago.

This!
Nothing says you can’t build an A frame on wheels
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top