Big Sky Music Fest in Whitefish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Sky Music Fest in Whitefish

Who’s been? Thinking about trying to go this year, but I don’t want to be limited to a concert for 3 days in God’s country. How does it work? Is there still plenty of time to do other things?

Pretty sure somebody had a thread on this last year. Hopefully they’ll chime in.

Comment

We went last year. Awesome trip, and would do it again in a heartbeat this year if the wife wasn’t pregnant currently. Do NOT camp at the Big Sky campground associated with the concert. I’d skip the festival altogether before staying there. I’ve never seen man people stacked up so high to all share a few porta potties and bathrooms. You could reach out and touch your neighbors campsite from your tent. Absolutely tiny and trash filled. Then the lines for the shuttle were outrageous. 2-3 hours standing in line at camp to get to the venue. You didn’t have the option to drive yourself either otherwise you weren’t allowed back into camp.

We got lucky, and I wouldn’t count on them allowing it this year but they did us. We sold our campground pass, and pitched our roof top tents right in the venue parking lot after the show each night. No drinking or driving necessary or DD , and no waiting in outrageous lines. Walked out the gate and grabbed another beer while setting up camp. Took 5 minutes up, and 10 down in the AM which is less than anyone waited just to get through the gates. Plus we had the entire parking lot to ourselves and a buddy who came with us and did the same.

As far as the concerts man they were awesome. Jason Isbell was our favorite easily, but Tyler Childers and Billy Strings were amazing. Dwight was a stud as always, and Paul Cauthen put on a great show as well. Overall a fantastic concert, but be prepared to pay for it. Venue beers were $9 for the cheap stuff (Montucky Cold Snacks ) and $11-12 for the Norma stuff. There was good food and drinks to be had, and was overall a great time.
      Attached Files

Comment

Oh, and at the venue yours only 25 minutes from Glacier National Prk, which is my favorite prk I’ve been to. Absolutely amazing. I’d take a couple extra days to see it if possible, and eat everything Huckleberry you can while up there. I’ve been in the area quite a few times, and I never can get enough Huckleberry while there.

Comment

Oh, and at the venue yours only 25 minutes from Glacier National Prk, which is my favorite prk I’ve been to. Absolutely amazing. I’d take a couple extra days to see it if possible, and eat everything Huckleberry you can while up there. I’ve been in the area quite a few times, and I never can get enough Huckleberry while there.

Comment

Thank you for the info. So what time do the concerts start and end? I don't think the lineup is as good this year as it was last year. I was hoping to be able to camp somewhere completely separate from the concert venue (like in a National Forest). I also would want to be able to go see other things on days of the concerts. Is that not possible?

I agree, Glacier is awesome. I've been a couple of times, but my wife has never been so that is a must see. It is actually the main reason why I'm considering this.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
              Thank you for the info. So what time do the concerts start and end? I don't think the lineup is as good this year as it was last year. I was hoping to be able to camp somewhere completely separate from the concert venue (like in a National Forest). I also would want to be able to go see other things on days of the concerts. Is that not possible?

I agree, Glacier is awesome. I've been a couple of times, but my wife has never been so that is a must see. It is actually the main reason why I'm considering this.
              I had every intention of trying to find somewhere to camp remotely. We tried…… hard. We got there about 2 days early, and everything was completely taken. We drove a ton and up to 45 minutes away without finding anywhere whatsoever. I’ve spent a lot of time up there camping, and none of my known spots were available. You can come and go from the concert as you please. You can not come and go from the venue campsite as you please. Concerts start early afternoon. 2-3ish if I remember correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                I had every intention of trying to find somewhere to camp remotely. We tried…… hard. We got there about 2 days early, and everything was completely taken. We drove a ton and up to 45 minutes away without finding anywhere whatsoever. I’ve spent a lot of time up there camping, and none of my known spots were available. You can come and go from the concert as you please. You can not come and go from the venue campsite as you please. Concerts start early afternoon. 2-3ish if I remember correctly.
                That is discouraging. I would think that there would be plenty of National Forest around for primitive camping. I guess you'd need to be very cautious of Grizzlies...

Comment

Working...
                X