$1500 to spend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
    You seem rather young. Buy a lifetime license.
    Cabela's does have a decent selection of nicish production rifles, but this right here is a very wise choice.

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
      Spot on. Win a gift card to one of those just have to choose. Would much rather buy from the local guy if I could.
      I’d look at either a Bergara rifle or Seekins depending on my end goals. Seekins you’ll most likely need to add $200-300, but it’s the closest you’ll come to a custom rifle that you’ll find under $2500. Bergaras will shoot just as well or **** near, but they won’t be as refined. Both will make a Remington look cheap.

I shoot, or at least at one time did, a lot of long range. I’ve had a handful of custom rifles dating back almost 10 years ago now. I’ve been very impressed by both rifles. If I wasn’t spending the money on either of those rifles I’d be spending it on glass. If I wanted a quality hunting rifle with glass, but didn’t need to reach out 1K with it for fun I’d take a long hard look at a Tikka T3X i caliber of your choice and throw a Leupold VX5 on it. You’ll be just shy of $2K into the entire package, but you won’t be able to beat it for a hunting rifle.

Comment

Well what's missing in your gun collection ? That's at least something that can be turned into cash and depreciation in quality firearms is fading by the year. Since it's a must spend and only at certain retailers that would be my strategy. Or perhaps ammo pending your supply level. I would avoid fad purchases, especially with that amount to spend.
        Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
          Glass?

You've almost got enough for a NightForce NX8. Or a high quality Lupy. High quality glass can be resold, if needed. But guns have a higher demand on resale.

Guns would be about the best investment. As your children might inherit them. And they gain value as time goes by. Offspring never forget their first firearm.

And the idea about a lifetime license is a great idea too. I bought my daughter a LT Fishing last year for her 41st B-day. Every time she goes fishing, she will remember me when I'm gone.
          Last edited by Texas Grown; 05-14-2022, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Springfield M1A SOCOM rifle

Comment

I’d buy the cheapest Remington 700 you could find there and have it ripped apart and built into a custom.

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
                I’d buy the cheapest Remington 700 you could find there and have it ripped apart and built into a custom.

For $1500? I’ve never been able to do one that cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Buy hunting stuff you’ve always wanted but never convinced yourself to getv

Comment

Buy a tank of gas, drive around to all three of those places and look, buy another tank of gas and go home?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      For $1500? I’ve never been able to do one that cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      Mike, this is just based off of what I charge but here’s a run down. Also, under the assumption that a cheap 700 can be picked up for $500. Hopefully so but I know you can buy donor actions less than $500. PTG used to sell trued actions for around $650 but I don’t know about their work. May have to spring for another $100 or so but the gun oughta shoot. This doesn’t include hocking the old stock, barrel and trigger from the purchased rifle.

Gun/Donor action $500
                      Barrel $300 (Can usually pick one up off of 6mmbr or Len Backus’ site. Will run $350-375 for Bartlein or Krieger)
                      Chamber, cut and crown $250
                      Trigger $150
                      Stock $250 for a B/C plain Jane hunter
                      Action B/P $200
                      Glass bed $100-150

Comment

Spotting scope, mine is 30 years old.

Comment

Tikka or Bergera 6.5. I like Leopold, but definitely spend the rest on a good scope.
                          6.5’s makes shooting fun and you a better shot. IMHO.

BP

Comment

Here you have it:

Bergara in 6.5cred

Vortex Viper PST (you can get a better deal with ArrowSmith):

Under $1,500 with taxes. Still need rings and base

Vortex PRO series are $80

Any Remington 700 short action picatinny rail will work.

Save 10% on a set of Keystone Rings with this rail and get free 2-Day shipping!*50000 mounts manufactured after 3/2021 are drilled to accommodate larger diameter screws (#8-40) and now come with #6-48 and #8-40 screws. The head diameter on the #6-48 screws provided with this mount is larger than our normal #6-48 screws.If you have questions about your specific firearm, or need help regarding the specific screw size, you should contact Remington Customer Support at 1-800-243-9700 and supply them with your serial number.The blue bag of screws provided are #6-48 screws.The red bag of screws provided are #8-40 screws.Mounting Hardware Is IncludedThis mount fits:Bergara B14 (#6 Screws)Bergara B14RBergara Short Action Premier Series (#8 Screws)Christensen Arms Short Action (Please Check Your Serial Number Here) CVA ParamountCVA Paramount ProDefiance Machine Stryker Ridge Short Action (#8 screws)Remington 700 Short ActionRemington 700 Ultimate MuzzleloaderRemington 722 Short ActionRemington 40X Short ActionRemington 700 Short Action PCRRemington 700 Short Action (#8 screws)Remington 700 Short Action Police Tactical (#8 screws) Remington 700 Short Action LTR (#8 screws)Remington 722 Short Action (#8 screws)Remington 40x Short Action (#8 screws) *The Keystone Ring Combo discount is only applicable on retail orders and cannot be combined with any other discounts or promotions. The discount is applied automatically when both items are placed in your cart. No Promo Code Necessary.*

For a total of $1,499.94 (plus taxes and shipping )

Comment

Working...
                            X