Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does everyone need a magnum caliber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does everyone need a magnum caliber?

Seems like everyone one I know or hunt with thinks they need a magnum to kill a white tail, when did this become such a thing?

Most of the people I know get a large magnum then put the lightest projectiles offered in it. My opinion is to shoot a heavy projectiles out of any cartridge you use as long as you can get the desired velocity.

I’m a short action guy and I normally use the least amount of gun that I need to ethically kill with. Most kills are with .260/.308/6.5grendel/223.

Just a conversation starter...

Why do you say that they Think they need a magnum? Have you ever thought of 1 caliber for everything especially in this day and time? I neck and head them and I shoot them with either my 7mm-08 or my favorite- 300 win Mag! Why, because that’s what I like to shoot! I put them away this year and went back to my bow!

Comment

I think the bullet has a lot more to do with it than the cartridge. You can kill more than a coyote with a .223 if you use the right bullet.

Comment

Speed kills. To hell with heavy bullets. A fast semi frangible bullet is where it is at on medium sized game.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Been Killing them for years with .243,6mm,250ack,257ack. and.308 also have shot a bunch with 22-250.

Comment

If they had a shotgun that would shoot 4in shells...I would buy one lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yup

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
              Speed kills. To hell with heavy bullets. A fast semi frangible bullet is where it is at on medium sized game.

This.

Comment

Guns are expensive. Get the magnum, grunt like Tim the Tool-man Taylor, and go kill everything you want across the state and US.

Comment

What I’m saying is there a ton of hunters that think you simply cannot kill a deer or cannot kill on ethically without a magnum.

Most hunters also believe you can’t shoot past 300-400 yards without a magnum either!

Comment

I don’t feel like I NEED one…but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy the hell out of shooting deer/pigs/antelope/aoudad with my .264 Mag. I love that rifle.

Plowing 180gr .300 Weatherbys into nilgai is pretty satisfying as well.

Magnums are just cooler….but I love my little .257 Rob too.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      I don’t feel like I NEED one…but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy the hell out of shooting deer/pigs/antelope/aoudad with my .264 Mag. I love that rifle.

I’m all for having them.

I’m talking about people who act like animals are bullet proof and wont die when shot with a 243 or similar.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post

That is an interesting statement, considering the early model ballistic silver tips and accubombs both got a bad rap for coming apart. Now we are saying that is a desirable characteristic?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

3 of the favorites in my safe for sure

Comment

I don't feel like I need my magnum calibers. I also don't feel like I need to explain to anyone else why I like 'em.

Comment

I may have killed a train car load of them with a 22LR when I was a kid some 50 years ago.
                              Punch them in the lungs with about anything and they are done

Comment

Working...
                              X