Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looong shot: place to park/sleep between Amarillo-Texline

I'm headed to Colorado for 2nd rifle.

I'm leaving Kyle tomorrow around 1pm and looking for a place between Amarillo and Texline to park and sleep. I'll be in the area around 9-10pm I'll have a small tent or I can sleep in the truck.

I'm not seeing much for rest areas or camping.

Does the green screen have a lead on a place to park and sleep in the pan handle?

Any info is welcome, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Loves truck stops. Theres 2 off 40 in amarillo. Just sleep in your truck. Use ear plugs to cancel out the noise

Comment

I sleep at rest areas .. In the past I would stop in Raton to sleep at a motel but now ill stop in Colorado at a rest area for a couple hours.. there's not much between Amarillo and new mexico

Comment

I’d stop at one of the rest areas before a Loves or any other truck stop, simply for the noise factor. Not sure if there’s one on the route you’re taking, we always stay on 40 over to Santa Rosa, jog over to Clines Corner, up into Chama, and across to Pagosa Springs

Comment

I sometimes camp in Dumas at texoma park. It is free camping with water and electricity hook ups and bathrooms. Small park for kids to play. Level ground for setting up a tent and I usually meet some other hunters in the park. Downside is that it's in the middle of town so there is a good bit of road noise and it's right next to the train tracks. But it's a convenient, free, place to sleep.

Comment

Man we just drove through there. Left Fort Worth at 5pm and just arrived in Colorado at our destination. Its a tough drive in the middle of the night. Going to start our pack in around 9 this morning.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Another place I've pulled over and slept is kiowa national grasslands. It is only a few miles out of Texline pretty much as soon as you get into new Mexico. Quite, and a nice place to wake up.

Comment

I grew up in Hartley and can’t think of much camping in the area. One option might be the park at Rita Blanca Lake. (Both terms park and lake are used very loosely). It is about a mile off 87 just south of Dalhart. I haven’t been there in over 20 years so I have no idea what shape it is in but might be worth researching. Also if it’s still light when you drive up take the Boys Ranch road (1061 to 385) from Amarillo to Hartley instead of the Dumas road. It doesn’t take any longer and is a more interesting drive through mule deer country.

You will drive through the land my dad farmed when I was growing up. It is on both sides of the road just this side of Hartley...it is FLAT out there!

Comment

Thompson's Grove is a campground in Rita Blanca Grasslands just east of Texline. It is free. I stayed there a few years ago when we were drawn for the TPWD pronghorn hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Allpublic View Post
                    I sometimes camp in Dumas at texoma park. It is free camping with water and electricity hook ups and bathrooms. Small park for kids to play. Level ground for setting up a tent and I usually meet some other hunters in the park. Downside is that it's in the middle of town so there is a good bit of road noise and it's right next to the train tracks. But it's a convenient, free, place to sleep.
                    Yep, agreed. I've used it a few times. It's convenient and free!

Comment

Haven't been up that way in a while but surely there's something around Dalhart

Comment

Strong cold front coming, sleep in your car not a tent, brrrrrr.

Comment

We just that trip first rifle season. Same as above, just stop at a Loves or gas station. Put some ear plugs in and rest your eyes for a few hours.

Comment

I caught a few hours of shuteye in the Dumas Walmart parking lot last time I drove thru by myself. Slept in the backseat of my truck. Hard to fall asleep when you’re all geared up about the coming hunt and getting into the mountains.

Comment

Looong shot: place to park/sleep between Amarillo-Texline

Download the Boondocking app.

According to it, the Amarillo Travel Information Center is a great place to sleep.

Comment

Working...
                              X