Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2021-2022 LBJ Grasslands!

Anybody getting out this weekend?

I thought about it but I'm going to save my tags for Hagerman. If I have a buck tag left I'll probably be out. Ifn I don't draw a duck hunt for November I may come out during doe days. Good luck if your going. Last time I was there on opening day it was a zoo.

Comment

Was out Saturday and Sunday. No deer movement.

Comment

I shot a nice buck yesterday morning but couldn't find it. Tracked blood for 1/2 mile, found his bed but couldn't find blood from there; didn't figure out where he went. We think it was shoulder/high shoulder hit and he's probably okay. Sucks but maybe I'll get another crack at him.

Comment

Keep at it Troy.
          Should be some decent movement this weekend.
          I might be able to sneak away for a hunt. I’ll report back if I make it out there.

Comment

Gonna hunt this section for the first time in a couple weeks.
            Mostly to make some final tune-ups for my first season in a saddle (been waiting on some cooler weather), but maybe I’ll get lucky and put some meat in the freezer.

Any advice or cautions for someone’s first time on these properties?

Comment

I was able to put a doe down Friday evening! I sat a spot I'd never hunted before but scouted 2 years ago. It's a spot that's not far from the road or parking lot at all but when I scouted it, I had bumped does out of this corner of timber and saw a bunch of scrapes and rubs. So this Friday, I felt like giving it a shot. It was 15 mph wind out of the north and I walked in from the south and get setup quiet with the wind masking my noise. My goal was to get as close to that corner as I could without spooking anything if it were bedded down in there and I could also see for a few hundred yards down the tree line and open CRP field to observe movement on that other end.

I didn't see where she was bedded but I think either the timber in front of me or in the thick stuff in the field to my right. She came out about 6:15pm and when I saw her she was at about 20 yards. She put her head down to eat acorns and I was able to grab my bow and get situated. She worked closer towards me down the field edge and then stepped into the brush and right under my stand at about 5-7 yards. I shot, she mule kicked and dropped in sight about 40 yards. Field dressed her and confirmed it was a double lunge shot! My buddy who just started hunting had 3 does come by him but no shot. It was a good hunt!
              Attached Files

Comment

Good deal W7!

Comment

Congrats. I've got a few of those spots I've scouted over the years min my back pocket. Seems they produce more years than not.

Comment

Wish I could see deer when I go to Sam Houston. Only have seen 1 I two years. Nice doe.

Comment

Congrats Troy!

Comment

Good job Troy!

Comment

Well, I was able to put some more meat in the freezer yesterday. I put a cell cam up in this spot about 3 weeks ago and deer have been moving through in the mornings consistently, including one descent buck I'd probably shoot. So I took off work and snuck in there real early to see if I could get on one.

About 8am, I hear foot steps and see a doe getting pushed by a small buck. They got on me quick and the doe stops in one of my shooting windows. I let it fly but looks like I shot under her belly. I got down at 10:30 and get my arrow but to my surprise I see hair on it. Then I notice gut matter on the fletching, blood on the ground mixed with gut matter, and I decided to just back out and see if I could get a tracker.

He met me out there about 2pm with 2 dogs. We go to the impact site, stand there for about 2 minutes and the tracker says 'whelp they found her'. She only ran about 50-60 yards, bedded down and likely died right there. She hadn't been dead for too long because she wasn't that stiff.

I made a bad shot. I estimated her at 20ish yards and didn't ranger her; she was actually at 30. That's my fault. The arrow hit about 1 inch above her belly line and no vitals were hit. I don't have an excuse for it being back though. I'm just thankful that it was a lethal hit, we found her and more meat for the freezer. I wouldn't normally shoot a second doe but I didn't fill a tag last year and just struggled to get close to anything. So my goal this year was to fill some tags.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I’m glad you found her Troy. Sounds like you did everything as well as possible after the shot. Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great job Trot. Patience waiting. Calling a tracker.
                              Deer found!

Comment

Working...
                              X