No announcement yet.

Why are weather apps so wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I understand it all the weather apps base their longer term forecasts on the same info they get from NOAA. Any difference is in how they interpret/present it. I had a meteorologist tell me they know full well that forecasting 7 days out with any accuracy is essentially pointless but they do it because the public wants it.

Comment

I gives us ranchers hope just to be let down time after time after time. LOL!!

Comment

I think you are right, its like any other social media.. the engagement drives more revenue so frequent changing makes you check it more frequently, in turn generate ads.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
          As I understand it all the weather apps base their longer term forecasts on the same info they get from NOAA. Any difference is in how they interpret/present it. I had a meteorologist tell me they know full well that forecasting 7 days out with any accuracy is essentially pointless but they do it because the public wants it.
          I get this. Point is they seem to be wrong almost all the time. Not some or half or even most but nearly all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
            You know this happens yet you are still surprised by it?!

I think they rely solely on computer mods and they are only so accurate on the location of where the rain will hit….

I wonder how the old school weatherman did the forecast, or was it only two or three days out?
            We had one in East Texas that was about 90% right. His name is Bob Peters, he is blind, but he knows weather ! I miss him so much since he retired ! These slugs we have now send the dog out and if he comes back wet they tell you it’s raining……..

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
              I get this. Point is they seem to be wrong almost all the time. Not some or half or even most but nearly all the time.
              You are right that they are mostly wrong but for some reason I can't help myself. If I have a weekend hunting/fishing trip planned I check the weather 4-5 times a day starting Monday even though I know it's likely to change

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                You are right that they are mostly wrong but for some reason I can't help myself. If I have a weekend hunting/fishing trip planned I check the weather 4-5 times a day starting Monday even though I know it's likely to change
                Someone needs to combine a betting App with the weather App It would be easy money.

For instance they had Saturdays high at 70 the last 2-3 days. I'd wager it goes up. Let me go look. Only up to 72 now LOL I'd still bet it goes higher.

Comment

Weather Apps suck in general...they are computer automated. I don't have one single weather app on my phone.

Probably the best thing to do if you are wanting to get a decent grasp on your weather for the next week is go to the National Weather Service homepage, type in your location and read the "forecast discussion" that is put out I believe 3 times a day.

Last edited by Johnny; 10-14-2021, 12:51 PM.

Comment

I'm always baffled by people who actually get mad that other people can't predict the future....

If you're so **** smart, you tell us how much it's going to rain!

Comment

Bad weather has become such a profit machine for news networks that it was to unbearable for me to watch anymore.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyZdDQY37Sg"]Fake Hurricane & Flood Reported on The Weather Channel! This is Crazy! - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        I'm always baffled by people who actually get mad that other people can't predict the future....

If you're so **** smart, you tell us how much it's going to rain!
                        Agreed.

Why does it upset you so much, Tim? Would you rather them just not predict anything and simply state they don’t know? Geez. R.E. L. A. X.

Comment

One must understand that weather is like the female mind. It changes every 15 minutes and not always for the best. It is however always right. Deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                            Agreed.

Why does it upset you so much, Tim? Would you rather them just not predict anything and simply state they don’t know? Geez. R.E. L. A. X.
                            Just trying to find out if they're wrong on purpose to get clicks. Not upset LOL

And I think you missed the point.

You can predict a stock goes up to your price target on Tuesday and I promise you'll be right a few times When these guys predict rain or cool weather in summer they're always wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                              Weather Apps suck in general...they are computer automated. I don't have one single weather app on my phone.

Probably the best thing to do if you are wanting to get a decent grasp on your weather for the next week is go to the National Weather Service homepage, type in your location and read the "forecast discussion" that is put out I believe 3 times a day.

https://www.weather.gov/
                              Heck, I was gonna say that it’s because they don’t check with you

Comment

Working...
                              X