No announcement yet.

End of the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm getting closer to quitting. Haven't killed a deer in over 15 years. I like being in the woods to re center myself. I guess I'm a trophy hunter and wont kill unless its bigger than my best. Even then it will be the challenge, a traditional bow or handgun. I'm starting to prefer fishing more and have done both my entire life.

Sent from my SM-J260AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Getting old is not bad, until the string won't pull back, but then back to a rifle. At 81 I go hunting with my grandson every year in South Texas. Why? Because I still can and spend time with him. I go fishing every-time my son goes if I can, why? Because I know my time is limited and enjoy our time. Nothing better then spending time in the outdoors with loved ones.

Comment

Can't pull my bow back laying in a casket. That's when.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
          Can't pull my bow back laying in a casket. That's when.
          This. I think those that give it up never truly loved it. They liked it.

Comment

I am 58 and the desire and thrill are waning. My boys have grown and are into their own things, so with out them to hunt with it just don't fire me up anymore. I will still apply for lic. each year, but if I draw I sometimes won't even go for a day.

Comment

You don’t. It’s second to breathing. Those that quit were glorified gatherers at best....

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                You don’t. It’s second to breathing. Those that quit were glorified gatherers at best....

Right dare

Comment

Probably should have been a minimum age to reply here. I see quite a few 30 somethings posting, myself included, that are too full of **** and vinegar to acknowledge that we won’t always be this hard charging! I hope I’m hunting until my last day but I’ll be grateful for each day I get up until then!

Comment

Originally posted by Agdog View Post
                    Probably should have been a minimum age to reply here. I see quite a few 30 somethings posting, myself included, that are too full of **** and vinegar to acknowledge that we won’t always be this hard charging! I hope I’m hunting until my last day but I’ll be grateful for each day I get up until then!
                    You are wise beyond your years sir!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I hope I never lose it. I try to thank God daily for making me a Hunter. I’m 27 now. In the last few years I have noticed that I’m more intrigued on passing deer and seeing what they can grow into, rather than how can I kill this deer. So maybe that’s what it gravitates towards.

Comment

Originally posted by Agdog View Post
                        Well said. Health issues and age will humble a couple of these young guys.

Comment

As B.B.King would say The thrill is gone.

Comment

I’m one of the 30somethings full of spunk. And my answer to the OP’s question, is NEVER.

At a certain point you won’t be able to make an ethical shot (can’t see), get yourself to and from the deer stand, hall out your deer, etc etc. However, if your kids, grandkids, cousins, family/friends are worth a crud they should be dragging you old tail along! At a certain point I imagine the thrill is no longer killing an animal. It would be more rewarding to see your loved ones execute and simply spend time in the woods. I am already experiencing this with my 2yr old

Comment

When I can’t find a lease. Been looking for 3+ years. Money is not the problem. I guess everyone is looking for the same thing and know the right people. Very frustrating pursuit.

Comment

Working...
                              X